    I connect the Router to the modem and then to the phoneline?? Have I got
    the basics wrong?

    MGT

    Me-GT, Sep 7, 2003

  2. You unfortunatly have a rather inexpensive DSL modem. It isn't an efficent
    networks model of some kind is it? Anyway, you can try to use anUSB to
    Ethernet adapter on the USB cable and then hook it to the router, but I have
    had bad luck with this. You're probably stuck going to your ISP and getting
    a new modem with a LAN and WAN ports. It might be cheaper to put two NICs
    in one machine and use Microsofts internet connection sharing. You would
    then be using one achine as a router. Some companies also make a network
    gate way type of device (IE: Two Wire, Belkin) that contain a router and
    DSL modem, using on of these depends on you provider and connection type.

    GT" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Group
    > just had a first stab at connecting 2 pc's to a broadband connection
    > (Freeserve copperjet modem) via a Belkin Router.
    >
    > Problem is, the router has 1 wan and 4 network ports, all rj45 type

    sockets,
    > whilst the DSL modem has a USB port and a ADSL port. I can't cable the
    > router to the Modem!
    >
    > The two pc's are connected to the Router with RJ45 Patch cables, but how

    do

    Nathan E. Jeffries, Sep 7, 2003