    Does this make sense? If not, what's the best way to do this?

    Thanks for reading

    Dan
    -=Dan=-©, Apr 3, 2004

  2. On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 16:36:15 +0100, "-=Dan=-©"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this, so forgive me if my question is
    >a little odd. I've been given a tape (Mini DV) that says 60/90 ME on it, I
    >guess this is the length in minutes. I want to transfer the video from this
    >tape onto my PC, so that I can write some DVD's from it (it's wedding
    >footage). I have a DAT drive in my PC, and I was wondering if there was any
    >software available to read the video (is it avi?) from the tape?
    >
    >Does this make sense? If not, what's the best way to do this?

    Firewire (IEEE-1394) to transfer DVcam/MiniDV. Borrow a camcorder
    with firewire output and install a cheap firewire card into the PC.
    That will allow direct transfer of the data from the tape onto the
    PC's hard drive. You can then edit with Premiere or Ulead or even
    VirtualDub if not much has to be done. The DVcam footage can then be
    rendered to Mpeg2 with Tmpgenc or some such.

    http://www.dvcentral.org/fireway.html

    http://www.nextag.com/buyer/outpdir...diting&OVMTC=standard&search=firewire editing

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 3, 2004

  3. -=Dan=-©

    -=Dan=-© Guest

    Hi Steve,

    thanks for the reply. Is there any way I can do this without borrowing
    someones camcorder and buying a firewire card? I'd hoped that having a DAT
    drive, and a DAT tape that I would be able to use some software to read it
    directly.

    Dan

    -=Dan=-©, Apr 3, 2004
  4. -=Dan=-©

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "-=Dan=-©" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this, so forgive me if my question

    is
    > a little odd. I've been given a tape (Mini DV) that says 60/90 ME on it, I
    > guess this is the length in minutes. I want to transfer the video from

    this
    > tape onto my PC, so that I can write some DVD's from it (it's wedding
    > footage). I have a DAT drive in my PC, and I was wondering if there was

    any
    > software available to read the video (is it avi?) from the tape?
    >
    > Does this make sense? If not, what's the best way to do this?

    You simply need to hook up a mini-DV camcorder to your PC, usually via
    FireWire. There are plenty of software choices to then read the file onto
    your hard drive. I use Pinnacle Studio myself, but that a full-fledged
    capture/edit/master program, and there's a wealth of other programs with
    various capabilities (not sure if any are simple free capture programs, but
    it wouldn't surprise me if there were). Yes, you'll want to capture to AVI,
    which is uncompressed and will capture the DV source material as-is. I
    don't believe your DAT drive will do the trick.

    Make sure you have plenty of hard drive space, 12GB/hour of video. You'll
    also need a hard drive fast enough to do the capture, the spec which I can't
    provide right now because Pinnacle doesn't list it on the required specs on
    their website and I can't remember the number off the top of my head...

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 3, 2004
  5. -=Dan=-©

    Winslow Guest

    I have managed to get files onto my PC and changed into MPEG. I then copy
    them on CD as a VCD but all that appears on my DVD player is the menu. Any
    ideas what I'm doing wrong?

    Winslow, Apr 3, 2004
  6. -=Dan=-©

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "-=Dan=-©" <> wrote in message

    > thanks for the reply. Is there any way I can do this without borrowing
    > someones camcorder and buying a firewire card? I'd hoped that having a DAT
    > drive, and a DAT tape that I would be able to use some software to read it
    > directly.

    No. DAT = Digital Audio Tape. DV = Digital Video (Tape). Since both tapes
    contain ones and zeroes, I suppose it's technically possible for software to
    read a DV tape in a DAT drive, assuming the DV tape would even fit (which I
    don't know to be the case), but it sounds like such an obscure application
    that I doubt something like that exists.

    Barring that near-zero possibility, there is no other way for you to capture
    this information. The firewire card is very cheap, maybe $20-30. The
    camcorder is expensive, which is why you'd obviously rather want to borrow
    one than buy one. Don't try to buy one, use it, and then take it back -
    most retail outlets have very strict policies on returns for DV and digital
    camera items, for this very reason. Chances are that if you open it, it's
    yours with no possibility of refund.

    I'm curious - why do you even have a DAT drive? I though that was pretty
    much a dead product.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 3, 2004
  7. -=Dan=-©

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Winslow" <> wrote in message
    > I have managed to get files onto my PC and changed into MPEG. I then copy
    > them on CD as a VCD but all that appears on my DVD player is the menu. Any
    > ideas what I'm doing wrong?

    Sorry, I have no experience with VCDs; never burned one myself.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 3, 2004
  8. -=Dan=-©

    -=Dan=-© Guest

    Hi Mike,

    the two tapes are identical, that's what made me think there must be some
    software to read the video from the tape. I think I'll have to just borrow
    my friends camcorder and link it up to a laptop with firewire, rather than
    buying a firewire card for mine. Come to think of it, I'm surprised my PC
    hasn't got firewire.....maybe it has!

    DAT isn't dead, it's used widely for backing up servers etc, although not
    with the capacity of DLT.

    Dan

    -=Dan=-©, Apr 3, 2004
  9. -=Dan=-©

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "-=Dan=-©" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > the two tapes are identical, that's what made me think there must be some
    > software to read the video from the tape.

    Oh, ok. Maybe there is; I wouldn't really know. I guess you could try a
    search on Google and see what turns up.

    > DAT isn't dead, it's used widely for backing up servers etc, although not
    > with the capacity of DLT.

    Interesting to know...I haven't seen a DAT deck in ages. :)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 3, 2004
  10. Winslow wrote:

    > I have managed to get files onto my PC and changed into MPEG. I then copy
    > them on CD as a VCD but all that appears on my DVD player is the menu. Any
    > ideas what I'm doing wrong?
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"-=Dan=-©" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this, so forgive me if my

    > question
    >
    >>is
    >>
    >>>a little odd. I've been given a tape (Mini DV) that says 60/90 ME on it,

    >>>guess this is the length in minutes. I want to transfer the video from

    >>this
    >>
    >>>tape onto my PC, so that I can write some DVD's from it (it's wedding
    >>>footage). I have a DAT drive in my PC, and I was wondering if there was

    >>any
    >>
    >>>software available to read the video (is it avi?) from the tape?
    >>>
    >>>Does this make sense? If not, what's the best way to do this?

    >>You simply need to hook up a mini-DV camcorder to your PC, usually via
    >>FireWire. There are plenty of software choices to then read the file onto
    >>your hard drive. I use Pinnacle Studio myself, but that a full-fledged
    >>capture/edit/master program, and there's a wealth of other programs with
    >>various capabilities (not sure if any are simple free capture programs,

    > but
    >
    >>it wouldn't surprise me if there were). Yes, you'll want to capture to

    > AVI,
    >
    >>which is uncompressed and will capture the DV source material as-is. I
    >>don't believe your DAT drive will do the trick.
    >>
    >>Make sure you have plenty of hard drive space, 12GB/hour of video. You'll
    >>also need a hard drive fast enough to do the capture, the spec which I

    > can't
    >
    >>provide right now because Pinnacle doesn't list it on the required specs

    > on
    >
    >>their website and I can't remember the number off the top of my head...
    >>
    >>Mike

    Check the faqs, etc. on www.dvdrhelp.com (it used to be called
    vcdhelp.com). Perhaps it's a problem with your player, the media, the
    burn speed, etc.

    Adios,
    ~Nick
    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 4, 2004
  11. On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:14:56 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:

    >"-=Dan=-©" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Mike,
    >>
    >> the two tapes are identical, that's what made me think there must be some
    >> software to read the video from the tape.

    >Oh, ok. Maybe there is; I wouldn't really know. I guess you could try a
    >search on Google and see what turns up.

    No there is no compatibility between DAT and MinDV. They both use a
    spinnng head on 4mm tape but that's all. DAT is an older format that
    uses lower density recording on oxide tape, DV is higher density on
    metal or metal particle tape with a completely different head
    structure. Shortly after the introduction of DAT it was indeed
    purposed for 10 or 20 Gig computer storage backup uses, but the
    characteristics were not suitable for wideband video uses, which would
    have been something like 8mm or Hi8. Digital video is a whole new
    ballgame and was developed long long after DAT.

    For miniDV/DVCPro firewire in to the computer is the only way to go.

    >> DAT isn't dead, it's used widely for backing up servers etc, although not
    >> with the capacity of DLT.

    >Interesting to know...I haven't seen a DAT deck in ages. :)

    I have one in my old P200.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 4, 2004
  12. -=Dan=-©

    -=Dan=-© Guest

    That's great Steve, thanks very much for all the replies. I'm off up to my
    friends now to copy the video onto his PC.

    -=Dan=-©, Apr 4, 2004
  13. -=Dan=-©

    Mike Kohary Guest

    > On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:14:56 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"-=Dan=-©" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi Mike,
    > >>
    > >> the two tapes are identical, that's what made me think there must be

    some
    > >> software to read the video from the tape.

    > >Oh, ok. Maybe there is; I wouldn't really know. I guess you could try a
    > >search on Google and see what turns up.

    > No there is no compatibility between DAT and MinDV. They both use a
    > spinnng head on 4mm tape but that's all. DAT is an older format that
    > uses lower density recording on oxide tape, DV is higher density on
    > metal or metal particle tape with a completely different head
    > structure. Shortly after the introduction of DAT it was indeed
    > purposed for 10 or 20 Gig computer storage backup uses, but the
    > characteristics were not suitable for wideband video uses, which would
    > have been something like 8mm or Hi8. Digital video is a whole new
    > ballgame and was developed long long after DAT.
    >
    > For miniDV/DVCPro firewire in to the computer is the only way to go.

    Very informative - thanks for the clarification.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 7, 2004