Mini/cDVD

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 21, 2004.

  1. The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 21, 2004

  2. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:50:06 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER.
    <> wrote:

    >How can I get a DVD Player when no one here knows what Mini DVD here is..?

    It's probably a format that will take off like Philips DCC, that's why.

    Invisible, Jun 21, 2004

  3. The GHOST of WOGER.

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:50:06 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER.
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >How can I get a DVD Player when no one here knows what Mini DVD here

    is..?

    > It's probably a format that will take off like Philips DCC, that's why.

    A CDR that can only play 10 minutes of DVD format. Computer software can
    read them, but a lot of DVD players get stuffed when they see the DVD format
    shoved onto a CDR.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 21, 2004
  4. On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:39:39 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:50:06 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER.
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>How can I get a DVD Player when no one here knows what Mini DVD here is..?
    >>

    >It's probably a format that will take off like Philips DCC, that's why.

    Please go a read about it before you make a utter fool of yourself again..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 21, 2004
  5. The GHOST of WOGER.

    colinco Guest

    colinco, Jun 21, 2004
  6. Invisible wrote:
    >>How can I get a DVD Player when no one here knows what Mini DVD here is..?

    > It's probably a format that will take off like Philips DCC, that's why.

    "Philips DCC"? never heard of it...
    or was that your point

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 22, 2004
  7. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:10:42 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >Invisible wrote:
    >>>How can I get a DVD Player when no one here knows what Mini DVD here is..?

    >> It's probably a format that will take off like Philips DCC, that's why.

    >"Philips DCC"? never heard of it...
    >or was that your point

    Yup... Digital Compact Cassette.

    Invisible, Jun 22, 2004
  8. The GHOST of WOGER.

    John Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:10:42 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote:

    is..?

    > >> It's probably a format that will take off like Philips DCC, that's why.

    > >"Philips DCC"? never heard of it...
    > >or was that your point

    > Yup... Digital Compact Cassette.

    Isn;t it DAC, Digital Audio Cassette?

    John, Jun 22, 2004
  9. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Invisible Guest

    http://mhintze.tripod.com/audio/dcc/philips/webpage/dcc730.htm

    Invisible, Jun 22, 2004
  10. In <> John wrote:

    > "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:10:42 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    >> <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote:

    > is..?

    >> >"Philips DCC"? never heard of it...
    >> >or was that your point

    >> Yup... Digital Compact Cassette.
    >>

    > Isn;t it DAC, Digital Audio Cassette?

    Maybe you're thinking of DAT, Digital Audio Tape. That was the main
    competitor to DCC. DAT only survived because it came first and was
    adopted for portable professional recording. DCC was a much better
    system for the average user as it could play the old analogue compact
    cassettes, and was smaller and cheaper, but it just never caught on.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jun 22, 2004
  11. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Richard Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > Maybe you're thinking of DAT, Digital Audio Tape. That was the main
    > competitor to DCC. DAT only survived because it came first and was
    > adopted for portable professional recording. DCC was a much better
    > system for the average user as it could play the old analogue compact
    > cassettes, and was smaller and cheaper, but it just never caught on.

    They are bigger then DAT, they are cheaper because they compress the audio on
    the tape, whereas dat is uncompressed. - dats have a scanning head like a VCR,
    IIRC DDC did not, but had multiple tracks.

    Richard, Jun 22, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    says...
    > In <> John wrote:
    > >
    > > "Invisible" <> wrote in message

    > > is..?

    > >> Yup... Digital Compact Cassette.
    > >>

    > > Isn;t it DAC, Digital Audio Cassette?

    > Maybe you're thinking of DAT, Digital Audio Tape. That was the main
    > competitor to DCC. DAT only survived because it came first and was
    > adopted for portable professional recording.

    And computer backup systems

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 22, 2004
  13. In <40d7e33d$> Richard wrote:
    > Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe you're thinking of DAT, Digital Audio Tape. That was the main
    >> competitor to DCC. DAT only survived because it came first and was
    >> adopted for portable professional recording. DCC was a much better
    >> system for the average user as it could play the old analogue compact
    >> cassettes, and was smaller and cheaper, but it just never caught on.

    > They are bigger then DAT, they are cheaper because they compress the
    > audio on the tape, whereas dat is uncompressed. - dats have a
    > scanning head like a VCR, IIRC DDC did not, but had multiple tracks.

    Ahh, that's why I was thinking that DAT was bigger: the helical scanning
    head meant the tape mechanism was more complex. Of course I'm thinking
    back to the articles from the late 1980s, when the first DAT recorders
    were big honking things and they were still predicting you would be able
    to buy music on DAT. But thinks to the wonders of miniaturisation I see
    Sony now sell a DAT Walkman, which is only about the same size as a
    normal CC player.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jun 22, 2004
  14. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Kevin Guest

    "The GHOST of WOGER." <> wrote in message

    > How can I get a DVD Player when no one here knows what Mini DVD here is..?
    >

    > This site lits a few models, but none are sold here under these names.

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=&Submit=Search&minidvd=1&div
    x=1&Search=Search&orderby=Name

    Why bother, DVD blanks can now be had in many shops for less than $2 and
    your grandmother can backup your movies in less than 2 hours.

    Kevin, Jun 24, 2004