    Any comments or observations welcome.

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Stephen Tomchuk, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Stephen Tomchuk

    Night_Seer Guest

    Stephen Tomchuk wrote:
    > Much to my chagrin the wife wants to purchase a micro (mini?) ATX
    > based system for placement upstairs to keep an eye on the kids while
    > they are using the computer. Don't know squat about the shortcomings
    > of such a system other than limited slots and, I suspect, somewhat
    > limited horsepower (but likely quicker than current AMD 900 TBird
    > desktop unit).
    >
    > Any comments or observations welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    I suggest a barebones Shuttle PC...they can be very good computers
    (they even have an Athlon 64 version either out, or coming soon). You
    are limited to shorter video cards (and they can't use 2 slots like some
    of the newer Nvidia cards), and 2 pci devices, 1 hard drive and 1
    floppy, or 2 hard drives (no floppy), and 1 optical drive. Some others
    out there have a little more room for a bigger footprint (non-Shuttle).
    I might be wrong about the 2 slot thing as you might just end up losing
    a PCI slot. They come with everytthing you need...just add processor,
    video card, hard drive, floppy or USB reader, and optical drive.
    Onboard they have an excellent 5.1 or 6.1 sound system, and a bevy of
    ports from USB 2.0 to Firewire, so no need to add extra PCI cards for
    such features. Look around here:

    http://www.shuttle.com/index7.html

    hope this helps. Happy holidays.

    --