    i'm thinking maybe there's an easier way than hacking? thanks for any
    assistance!

    bob

    bob from oz, Jan 28, 2007

  2. bob from oz wrote:
    > i'm using Firefox (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
    > v:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1) and cannot figure out how to
    > add a new mime type. i know the old Mozilla mimetype edit tool is no
    > longer in Firefox, and i've tried adding a new filetype to the
    > "mimetypes.rdf" file manually, but i can't get it to work (doofus!)
    >
    > i'm thinking maybe there's an easier way than hacking? thanks for any
    > assistance!
    >
    > bob

    Add a new mime type? Mime types are set by RFCs
    see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME

    Do you perchance mean to add a new helper application for an existing
    MIME type that Firefox doesnt know what to do with?
    In that case simply download a file of that mime type, Firefox will ask
    you what to do with it, tell it what to do, and check the 'remember'
    box. <POOF> Helper Application is set for that mime type.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 28, 2007

  3. bob from oz

    bob from oz Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Do you perchance mean to add a new helper application for an existing
    > MIME type that Firefox doesnt know what to do with?
    > In that case simply download a file of that mime type, Firefox will ask
    > you what to do with it, tell it what to do, and check the 'remember'
    > box. <POOF> Helper Application is set for that mime type.

    thanks for the answer. the filetype is known to Windows, and Firefox
    just uses the system default for that file, which I don't want. changing
    it however, appears to be difficult. i tried editing the mimetypes.rdf
    file, but ended up knackering it nicely.

    bob

    bob from oz, Jan 29, 2007
  4. bob from oz

    Ed Mullen Guest

    bob from oz wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Do you perchance mean to add a new helper application for an existing
    >> MIME type that Firefox doesnt know what to do with?
    >> In that case simply download a file of that mime type, Firefox will
    >> ask you what to do with it, tell it what to do, and check the
    >> 'remember' box. <POOF> Helper Application is set for that mime type.

    > thanks for the answer. the filetype is known to Windows, and Firefox
    > just uses the system default for that file, which I don't want. changing
    > it however, appears to be difficult. i tried editing the mimetypes.rdf
    > file, but ended up knackering it nicely.
    >
    > bob

    You don't say if you tried Dan's advice. First, in FF delete the
    reference to the Helper Application you're concerned with. Then, click
    on a link to that type of file and FF will prompt you what to do and
    create a new listing in the list of Helper Apps.

    Another thing you can do is install SeaMonkey. Then you have three options:

    1. If you have a good backup of your FF mimeTypes.rdf file, copy it to
    the SeaMonkey profile. Then edit it using SeaMonkey to add the desired
    new MIME type.

    2. Create a new Helper App using SM's Helper App editor, and copy the
    code from the SM mimeTypes.rdf file to your FF mimeTypes.rdf file.

    3. Migrate your FF data to SM and just use SeaMonkey from now on. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 29, 2007
  5. bob from oz

    bob from oz Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> changing it however, appears to be difficult. i tried editing the
    >> mimetypes.rdf file, but ended up knackering it nicely.

    > You don't say if you tried Dan's advice. First, in FF delete the
    > reference to the Helper Application you're concerned with. Then, click
    > on a link to that type of file and FF will prompt you what to do and
    > create a new listing in the list of Helper Apps.

    i didn't explain myself properly, sorry. when i click on the filetype, i
    don't get a prompt asking what to do with the file. i have only recently
    upgraded to FF 2.0. when i click on the filetype, i get a small
    requester saying "You have chosen to open xxx.nfo which is a: MSInfo
    File from http://blah.com - Would you like to save this file?" and there
    are two buttons: "Save File" and "Cancel"

    now the problem is that i don't want to save the damn thing: i want to
    open it. if i could figure out how to get FF to ask me the "what do you
    want to do with this filetype" question, i would be really happy. i just
    want Windows Notepad to display it, that's all!

    thanks for the assistance!

    bob

    bob from oz, Jan 31, 2007
  6. bob from oz wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>> changing it however, appears to be difficult. i tried editing the
    >>> mimetypes.rdf file, but ended up knackering it nicely.

    >> You don't say if you tried Dan's advice. First, in FF delete the
    >> reference to the Helper Application you're concerned with. Then,
    >> click on a link to that type of file and FF will prompt you what to do
    >> and create a new listing in the list of Helper Apps.

    > i didn't explain myself properly, sorry. when i click on the filetype, i
    > don't get a prompt asking what to do with the file. i have only recently
    > upgraded to FF 2.0. when i click on the filetype, i get a small
    > requester saying "You have chosen to open xxx.nfo which is a: MSInfo
    > File from http://blah.com - Would you like to save this file?" and there
    > are two buttons: "Save File" and "Cancel"
    >
    > now the problem is that i don't want to save the damn thing: i want to
    > open it. if i could figure out how to get FF to ask me the "what do you
    > want to do with this filetype" question, i would be really happy. i just
    > want Windows Notepad to display it, that's all!
    >

    > thanks for the assistance!
    >
    > bob

    Then what is the mime type of the file?

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 31, 2007
  7. bob from oz

    Ed Mullen Guest

    bob from oz wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>> changing it however, appears to be difficult. i tried editing the
    >>> mimetypes.rdf file, but ended up knackering it nicely.

    >> You don't say if you tried Dan's advice. First, in FF delete the
    >> reference to the Helper Application you're concerned with. Then,
    >> click on a link to that type of file and FF will prompt you what to do
    >> and create a new listing in the list of Helper Apps.

    > i didn't explain myself properly, sorry. when i click on the filetype, i
    > don't get a prompt asking what to do with the file. i have only recently
    > upgraded to FF 2.0. when i click on the filetype, i get a small
    > requester saying "You have chosen to open xxx.nfo which is a: MSInfo
    > File from http://blah.com - Would you like to save this file?" and there
    > are two buttons: "Save File" and "Cancel"
    >
    > now the problem is that i don't want to save the damn thing: i want to
    > open it. if i could figure out how to get FF to ask me the "what do you
    > want to do with this filetype" question, i would be really happy. i just
    > want Windows Notepad to display it, that's all!

    ..nfo files are plain-text. Firefox here simply displays them in a
    browser window. There is no listing in my file types list for .nfo
    files. If there is one in yours, delete it, restart FF and try again.
    Here's a test page: http://edmullen.net/temp/t1.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 31, 2007
  8. bob from oz

    bob from oz Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Then what is the mime type of the file?

    the Windows ".nfo" filetype. it's a text file originally used by scene
    members, but is now used just as a text description for downloads (i
    know you know this, but just in case :)

    under Windows i have the .nfo filetype assigned to Notepad. teh new
    FF2.0 doesn't give me an option of what to do about this filetype: it's
    save or nothing (either with Flashgot or default FF). i'm going to have
    to try and add the mimetype to the mimetypes.rdf file again. dang.
    anyhow, thanks.

    bob

    bob from oz, Feb 2, 2007
  9. bob from oz

    bob from oz Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > .nfo files are plain-text. Firefox here simply displays them in a
    > browser window. There is no listing in my file types list for .nfo
    > files. If there is one in yours, delete it, restart FF and try again.
    > Here's a test page: http://edmullen.net/temp/t1.html

    hmm, strange. thanks for the demo. yes, it does work via your page. if i
    try the same thing from my news-service, i get the "save" requester.
    (jumps to background to check if this still happens! - yep, for some
    reason FF2.0 will only allow me to save any *.nfo file from Easynews,
    not open it!)

    where can i find the "file types list" you mention? in my FF2.0, i can
    get to Tools->Options->Manage (file types) and i get my list. the crappy
    thing is i cannot add anything to this list. here is the crux of my
    problem. and no, there is no .nfo entry in the list :) thanks again.

    bob

    bob from oz, Feb 2, 2007
  10. bob from oz

    Guest

    On Feb 2, 8:45 am, bob from oz <> wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > > Then what is the mime type of the file?

    > the Windows ".nfo" filetype. it's a text file originally used by scene
    > members, but is now used just as a text description for downloads (i
    > know you know this, but just in case :)
    >
    > under Windows i have the .nfo filetype assigned to Notepad. teh new
    > FF2.0 doesn't give me an option of what to do about this filetype: it's
    > save or nothing (either with Flashgot or default FF). i'm going to have
    > to try and add the mimetype to the mimetypes.rdf file again. dang.
    > anyhow, thanks.
    >
    > bob

    I think what Dan is saying is what is the mime type given from the
    server. Maybe its been coded wrong.

    , Feb 2, 2007
  11. bob from oz

    Ed Mullen Guest

    bob from oz wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> .nfo files are plain-text. Firefox here simply displays them in a
    >> browser window. There is no listing in my file types list for .nfo
    >> files. If there is one in yours, delete it, restart FF and try again.
    >> Here's a test page: http://edmullen.net/temp/t1.html

    > hmm, strange. thanks for the demo. yes, it does work via your page. if i
    > try the same thing from my news-service, i get the "save" requester.

    What do you mean "news-service?" (Ah, I just saw below "EasyNews") So,
    I assume your using Firefox and a Web interface to read Usenet groups
    via EasyNews, yes? So you see a message with a link in it, click, and
    that's where the trouble is? It's quite likely the server is sending
    the wrong MIME type. You can use the Live HTTP Headers extension to see
    what Content-Type the server is sending when you click on the file link.

    > (jumps to background to check if this still happens! - yep, for some
    > reason FF2.0 will only allow me to save any *.nfo file from Easynews,
    > not open it!)
    >
    > where can i find the "file types list" you mention? in my FF2.0, i can
    > get to Tools->Options->Manage (file types) and i get my list. the crappy
    > thing is i cannot add anything to this list. here is the crux of my
    > problem. and no, there is no .nfo entry in the list :) thanks again.

    As I said in a previous message, you should first see if there is a
    file-type there for .nfo and delete it, restart FF and try again. If
    that's not the case, then I'm pretty sure it's a server problem. The
    only way to deal with that is to email the service admin and let him
    know. But make sure you're sure that's the problem first.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 2, 2007
  12. wrote:
    > On Feb 2, 8:45 am, bob from oz <> wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>> Then what is the mime type of the file?

    >> the Windows ".nfo" filetype. it's a text file originally used by scene
    >> members, but is now used just as a text description for downloads (i
    >> know you know this, but just in case :)
    >>
    >> under Windows i have the .nfo filetype assigned to Notepad. teh new
    >> FF2.0 doesn't give me an option of what to do about this filetype: it's
    >> save or nothing (either with Flashgot or default FF). i'm going to have
    >> to try and add the mimetype to the mimetypes.rdf file again. dang.
    >> anyhow, thanks.
    >>
    >> bob

    > I think what Dan is saying is what is the mime type given from the
    > server. Maybe its been coded wrong.

    Correct. A .nfo is a filename extension, not a mime type.
    ..nfo is a contraction of "info", or "information". It is used as a
    three-letter filename extension indicating a generic ASCII text file
    designed to be viewed with a text editor or specially designed NFO
    viewers. As an example, when a user opens a .rar file with WinRAR that
    contains a .nfo file, it will show up in the viewer to the right of the
    archive list to display information about that archive.

    Less commonly, in Microsoft Windows, a file with an NFO filename
    extension is handled by a Microsoft software tool called System Information.

    NFO files usually contain release information about a software program.
    They are commonly associated with copyright infringement groups
    responsible for warez who include them to declare credit of and
    "bragging rights" over said release. Similarly they are often found in
    Demoscene productions who include them for credits, contact details, and
    the software requirements.

    NFO files were first introduced by "Fabulous Furlough" of the PC
    copyright infringement organization The Humble Guys, or THG[1]. Such
    organizations were also known as "warez groups" or "crack groups". The
    first use came in 1989 on the THG release of the PC game "Bubble
    Bobble". This file was used in lieu of the more common "README.TXT" or
    "README.1ST" file names. The perpetuation of this file extension legacy
    was carried on by "warez groups" which followed after THG and is still
    in use to this day, hence its strong presence on Usenet newsgroups which
    carry binaries and on P2P file trading networks.

    The Humble Guys later became a demogroup, thus bringing the .nfo file
    tradition into the demoscene.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Feb 3, 2007
  13. bob from oz

    bob from oz Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > As I said in a previous message, you should first see if there is a
    > file-type there for .nfo and delete it, restart FF and try again. If
    > that's not the case, then I'm pretty sure it's a server problem. The
    > only way to deal with that is to email the service admin and let him
    > know. But make sure you're sure that's the problem first.

    cool. i used the LiveHTTPHeaders extension on both your test page, and
    an Easynews ".nfo" file.

    your example linked file came out as "Content Type: text/plain"
    Easynews's ".nfo" link came out as "Content Type: application/octet- stream"

    what this means in the long run i cannot guess. i wouldn't mind my
    system either opening the file with Notepad or just printing it to the
    FireFox screen as text, just like your example did.

    is there something i can now do with this information?

    thanks to all for their excellent help. FF users kick ass.

    bob

    bob from oz, Feb 3, 2007
  14. bob from oz

    Ed Mullen Guest

    bob from oz wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> As I said in a previous message, you should first see if there is a
    >> file-type there for .nfo and delete it, restart FF and try again. If
    >> that's not the case, then I'm pretty sure it's a server problem. The
    >> only way to deal with that is to email the service admin and let him
    >> know. But make sure you're sure that's the problem first.

    > cool. i used the LiveHTTPHeaders extension on both your test page, and
    > an Easynews ".nfo" file.
    >
    > your example linked file came out as "Content Type: text/plain"
    > Easynews's ".nfo" link came out as "Content Type: application/octet-
    > stream"
    >
    > what this means in the long run i cannot guess. i wouldn't mind my
    > system either opening the file with Notepad or just printing it to the
    > FireFox screen as text, just like your example did.
    >
    > is there something i can now do with this information?
    >
    > thanks to all for their excellent help. FF users kick ass.

    What it means is that the Easynews server is configured incorrectly and
    you should notify the sys admin of that fact. It is the source of your
    problems.

    their server is sending an incorrect MIME type and your Mozilla
    application is /correctly/ interpreting it and prompting you. It's not
    your Moz app's problem, it's the server's problem. Notify them. End of
    discussion.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 4, 2007
  15. bob from oz

    bob from oz Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > their server is sending an incorrect MIME type and your Mozilla
    > application is /correctly/ interpreting it and prompting you. It's not
    > your Moz app's problem, it's the server's problem. Notify them. End of
    > discussion.

    thanks. i'll let them know. we talk no longer :)

    bob

    bob from oz, Feb 4, 2007
  16. bob from oz

    Guest

    On Feb 5, 3:26 am, bob from oz <> wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    > > their server is sending an incorrectMIMEtypeand your Mozilla
    > > application is /correctly/ interpreting it and prompting you. It's not
    > > your Moz app's problem, it's the server's problem. Notify them. End of
    > > discussion.

    > thanks. i'll let them know. we talk no longer :)
    >
    > bob

    to join the Fray!
    I thought it was a bit of a rude ending..
    So...Nope..I don't think it is the end of discussion at all..
    As I just discovered myself the "kludgey" way Firefox handle NFO from
    Easynews. in particular, and unknown files in general.

    I have always (for years) removed the MSINFO association of the NFO
    files and re-associate them with Metapad (which is another notepad
    but better).
    This done Internet Explorer, and my Favorite"Advance Browser" very
    nicely ask me if i want to "SAVE OR OPEN" the file.
    i thought Explorer was dumber than Firefox.So they say...
    But obviously it doesn't have a stick up is A@4% to make righteous
    choices concerning ..Excuse me..The Proper Way of handling mime types.
    John

    , Feb 19, 2007
  17. bob from oz

    Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:
    > On Feb 5, 3:26 am, bob from oz <> wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>> their server is sending an incorrectMIMEtypeand your Mozilla
    >>> application is /correctly/ interpreting it and prompting you. It's not
    >>> your Moz app's problem, it's the server's problem. Notify them. End of
    >>> discussion.

    >> thanks. i'll let them know. we talk no longer :)
    >>
    >> bob

    > to join the Fray!
    > I thought it was a bit of a rude ending..
    > So...Nope..I don't think it is the end of discussion at all..
    > As I just discovered myself the "kludgey" way Firefox handle NFO from
    > Easynews. in particular, and unknown files in general.
    >
    > I have always (for years) removed the MSINFO association of the NFO
    > files and re-associate them with Metapad (which is another notepad
    > but better).
    > This done Internet Explorer, and my Favorite"Advance Browser" very
    > nicely ask me if i want to "SAVE OR OPEN" the file.
    > i thought Explorer was dumber than Firefox.So they say...
    > But obviously it doesn't have a stick up is A@4% to make righteous
    > choices concerning ..Excuse me..The Proper Way of handling mime types.
    > John

    I'm not sure what you're upset about. Firefox and other Mozilla
    browsers do things the way they should, and it's not a kludge at all.
    The sever sends the browser a file and along with it a statement of what
    kind of file it is (MIME type). Firefox takes the appropriate action
    based on the MIME type. That's how it's supposed to work according to
    the standards. If the server sends, for example, a .doc file but
    identifies it as a .txt file, what would you have Firefox do? Open it
    in MS Word? Open it in Wordperfect? Open it in Notepad? How can it
    tell? Especially since the file doesn't necessarily have to be an MS
    Word document. So it doesn't guess, it uses its list of MIME types.
    Perfectly reasonable.

    BTW, just how do you change a file association in Internet Explorer?
    I'm assuming you meant Windows Explorer. IE gets its MIME type
    information from a hard-coded table within the application. If an
    unknown MIME arrives it looks in a variety of locations in the Windows
    registry and may also guess at it by looking at the file extension.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 19, 2007
  18. bob from oz

    bob from oz Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> i thought Explorer was dumber than Firefox.So they say...
    >> But obviously it doesn't have a stick up is A@4% to make righteous
    >> choices concerning ..Excuse me..The Proper Way of handling mime types.
    >>

    > The sever sends the browser a file and along with it a statement of what
    > kind of file it is (MIME type). Firefox takes the appropriate action
    > based on the MIME type. That's how it's supposed to work according to

    i totally agree Ed. i have emailed EasyNews several times and of course,
    no response was forthcoming. i think is pissed because
    the filetype association over-ride in Windows isn't working, but, of
    course, the mimetype is (properly) ruling all...

    bob

    bob from oz, Feb 19, 2007