    run up 100k packets max. I do not connect to constant streams of
    internet traffic either.

    What is going on please?

    James, Nov 18, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    James <> wrote:
    >I connect to the network via a laptop (physical) 10/100 LAN. Somehow
    >by the end of the day I have nearly 20 million packets recieved and 15
    >million sent. I do not do much more than other users with PCs who may
    >run up 100k packets max. I do not connect to constant streams of
    >internet traffic either.

    >What is going on please?

    Cisco does not market any laptops at all, and does not market any
    LAN cards under the Cisco name. If I recall correctly, they do market
    LAN cards under the Linksys name. This newsgroup doesn't talk about
    the Linksys equipment much, but if you tell us exactly which model
    of Linksys card you are using, we might be able to come up with
    something.

    If you aren't using Cisco/Linksys equipment, then this is probably
    not the right newsgroup. My guess is that you have a virus or spyware
    and should install software such as "Spyware Search & Destroy",
    "AdAware SE Personal", and one of the good free anti-virus programs
    (lots of debate over which is the best -- you can always download
    a trial of one of the famous ones to get you started).

    Walter Roberson, Nov 18, 2005

  3. James

    James Guest

    I have plugged the LAN into my dell laptop - so am using a default
    network card (3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX
    Compatible). And this is linked to a Cicso 857W router. I am running
    Zonelabs Security Suite (latest version) so I hope I do not have a
    virus etc. Please let me know if I don't count for this group.

    James, Nov 18, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    James <> wrote:
    >I have plugged the LAN into my dell laptop - so am using a default
    >network card (3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX
    >Compatible). And this is linked to a Cicso 857W router.

    I suggest you download Ethereal and examine the packets to see what
    they are.

    Walter Roberson, Nov 18, 2005
  5. James

    Rod Dorman Guest

    In article <>,
    James <> wrote:
    >I have plugged the LAN into my dell laptop - ...

    Interesting point of view :)

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

    Rod Dorman, Nov 18, 2005
  6. James

    Merv Guest

    How did you determine how much traffic your laptop is receiving ?

    netstat -e ???

    Merv, Nov 18, 2005
  7. James

    James Guest

    No, just looked at the Status popup you get by double-clicking on the
    systray icon. I'll try netstat -e and see what is produced.

    James, Nov 18, 2005
  8. James

    James Guest

    Yes it is isn't it. Have you anything else to say ;-)

    James, Nov 20, 2005
  9. James

    DigitalVinyl Guest

    "James" <> wrote:

    >I connect to the network via a laptop (physical) 10/100 LAN. Somehow
    >by the end of the day I have nearly 20 million packets recieved and 15
    >million sent. I do not do much more than other users with PCs who may
    >run up 100k packets max. I do not connect to constant streams of
    >internet traffic either.
    >
    >What is going on please?

    Well I've got 2.5m/1.3m packets after nearly 24 hours. And I think I
    did a few gigs of downloads last night.

    99% chance you have a program running in the background doing
    something.

    The #1 likelihood is the current spyware/malware glut. Most PCs that I
    have had to repair that were in a really bad state had Mcafee or
    Norton antivirus installed and spyware had disabled them. AOL Spyware
    scanners only detected spyware after it was fully installed and did
    not stop the spyware from bringing other spyware programs down and
    installing them. Once this process starts it is just a matter of time
    till you landslide and have a dozen malwares running in the background
    openging popups and even trojans. Worms/spyware can scan the entire
    internet looking for victims. The presence of trojans can also raise
    traffic levels considerably. This is an indication that someone else
    is likely using your PC by accessing the trojan. Usually, when I've
    found a PC that has been compromised to that level it performs
    incredibly poorly, popups galore and the simplest of webpages display
    slowly.

    I would troubleshoot it as a PC problem first. Use all the freewares
    to check things out

    RUN AD-AWARE SE
    RUN SPYBOT SEARCH and DESTROY v1.4
    - makes sure you get all the latest updates before doing your first
    scan. Scannning with old definitions is useless.

    RUN an external virus checker to validate that yours hasn't been
    compromised.
    http://www.trendmicro.com/ free online virus and spyware scan
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/ free online ActiveScan

    Each product will find different things, no one product is enough. If
    they are relatively clean (no viruses, minimal MALWARE) you can
    probably be confident you're ok.

    If you find lots of serious stuff(Malware, viruses, trojan), reboot,
    then do a second run of all of them. If stuff keeps appearing than
    you've still got something serious. At that point I suggest installing
    a trial version of TROJAN HUNTER. It will clean the PC and i've found
    that seriously screwed PCs still had really bad stuff that only this
    one detected.

    DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

    DigitalVinyl, Nov 20, 2005
  10. James

    James Guest

    Thanks for the info. I used to run Ad-aware and Spybot but now have it
    all within the Zone Alarms Suite. So I think my laptop is clean. I
    have, today, purely by chance upgraded the driver for the LAN card and
    although it was not mentioned as being one of the fixes I am getting
    far less throughput - so maybe it is fixed. I'll watch for a bit and
    see. I guess it is becasue I have just installed a new Cisco router
    (and am having some issues wth VPN) that I have noticed this issue now,
    I must have always had it!

    Thanks again for your advice.

    James, Nov 21, 2005
  11. James

    brut Guest

    If your running Win2k/XP, I would check to see what I have for
    established connections and look for anything that sticks out that you
    don't recognize. Use the command 'netstat -oa' (or netstat -oan to see
    the connection list without resolving DNS), and see what you have for
    established connections. The '-o' will also show the process ID in
    Windows thats maintaining the connection. If you see your machine
    connected to some funky address..., I'd start looking there.

    brut, Nov 21, 2005
  12. James

    Merv Guest

    try downloading a trial version of port explorer from
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/

    it will show you what processes are sending/receiving and to what IP
    address and port - a very useful tool

    Merv, Nov 21, 2005