Milenko Kindl Cvrcko jhjhjh

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Igor Dunjic-Duke, Aug 3, 2007.

  1. Milenko Kindl

    BAGHDAD - Iraq's Asian Cup soccer champs returned Friday to be feted
    in their homeland, but many Baghdad residents complained that they
    would miss out on the celebrations because of tight security in the
    heart of the capital. ADVERTISEMENT

    The U.S. military, meanwhile, announced the deaths of four more
    American soldiers.

    The national team, which hasn't played a home game in 17 years, landed
    at Baghdad's international airport Friday evening and traveled by bus
    in a convoy to the heavily fortified Green Zone in central Baghdad.
    Iraqi officials, led by Deputy Prime Minister Barham Saleh, met the
    team upon its arrival, according to government representative Bassam
    al-Husseini.

    But at least three of the team's stars - including captain Younis
    Mahmoud, Nashat Akram and Hawar Mulla Mohammed - were not believed to
    be with them. Mahmoud, a Sunni Arab who scored the winning goal in
    Iraq's 1-0 Asian Cup final win over Saudi Arabia, has said he feared
    for his life if he returned to Iraq to celebrate the stunning victory.

    Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki planned a welcoming celebration in the
    Green Zone, home to the U.S. Embassy and the Iraqi government
    headquarters, al-Husseini said.

    "I wish the celebration would take place in al-Shaab stadium, but that
    is impossible for security reasons," said Mohammed Kadhom, 35, who
    works at the country's oil ministry. Al-Shaab is a huge, Saddam
    Hussein-era facility on the capital's east side.

    "It is sad that we can't receive our national team in a public
    celebration as others do, I myself fear for their safety," Kadhom
    said.

    Vehicles were banned from Baghdad's streets for four hours coinciding
    with prayer services on Friday, a regular weekly curfew on the Muslim
    holy day. Several rings of security around the Green Zone would
    prevent ordinary Iraqis from welcoming the team, which has already had
    celebrations in Dubai and Amman en route back from Indonesia, where
    the winning match was played.

    "It is an incomplete joy, because all other people welcome their
    winning teams in the streets of their capitals and we in Iraq had to
    be the last ones to receive them, after the (United Arab) Emirates and
    Jordan," said Baghdad resident Naeem Abdullah, 40.

    Igor Dunjic-Duke, Aug 3, 2007