MIKE Your my saviour...but i still need your help...:S

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by suntzu, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. suntzu

    suntzu Guest

    Ok now i know all of the basics. Thanks u, very nice link.

    But I've always been seeing lots of these.

    [39126 lines, incomplete]

    [This is a multi-part message, of which only 7 of 22 parts are
    available.]
    [These parts are unavailable: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16,
    19, 21, 22]

    [To retrieve the incomplete message, use menu option Message | Join
    Sections.]

    If i join them manually though, one by one, then i get a file that i
    can download. of course i have to do it to all of them.

    Now am i supposed to see so many of these messages. My groups are
    fileld with em.

    Your probably going to say that my news server is crappy, It's
    sympatico and it came with my high speed connection 1.5mb/s.

    The thing is that i've met someone who says he has no problem with the
    sympatico sever, and he gets all of his files from news groups. I'm
    stupid i lost contact with him. :S

    So Do u know how to save me. Again. Thanks.

    I know nothing about computers. lol. Thanks.

    suntzu, Aug 4, 2003

  2. suntzu

    suntzu Guest

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:08:17 -0400, suntzu <>
    wrote:

    Or could it just be because of all of the headers that ive retrieved
    before i played with the default options?

    Does setting the default options after reatrieving the headers reset
    the old headers?

    Probably not, then how do i fix my ignoramus mistake... Please tell me
    i can undo my mistakes. Then tell me the truth. :p Thanks. :)

    suntzu, Aug 4, 2003

  3. suntzu

    Ionizer Guest

    You don't say which newsreader you're using, but it's probably irrelevant- a
    buddy of mine is on Sympatico and sees the same thing you seem to be seeing:
    many incomplete posts. I'm on Rogers, accessing the same groups (with
    Xnews) at the same time, and 98%+ posts are complete- my friend is seeing
    MUCH less than 50% complete. Sympatico doesn't seem to care much about the
    binaries newsgroups, as you'll probably find if you phone their support
    line.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Aug 4, 2003
  4. suntzu

    °Mike° Guest

    Right, go to the 'Online' menu and choose, 'Get All headers in
    selected group'. This will download everything that your
    server currently holds. If parts are still missing, you will have to
    search for them on another server, or use the PAR files. See
    the link I gave earlier.

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:19:24 -0400, in
    <>
    suntzu scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 4, 2003
  5. suntzu

    Boomer Guest

    suntzu <> wrote in

    > Ok now i know all of the basics. Thanks u, very nice link.
    >
    > But I've always been seeing lots of these.
    >

    > [39126 lines, incomplete]
    >
    > [This is a multi-part message, of which only 7 of 22 parts are
    > available.]
    > [These parts are unavailable: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14,
    > 15, 16, 19, 21, 22]
    >
    > [To retrieve the incomplete message, use menu option Message |
    > Join Sections.]
    >

    > If i join them manually though, one by one, then i get a file
    > that i can download. of course i have to do it to all of them.
    >
    > Now am i supposed to see so many of these messages. My groups
    > are fileld with em.
    >
    > Your probably going to say that my news server is crappy, It's
    > sympatico and it came with my high speed connection 1.5mb/s.
    >
    > The thing is that i've met someone who says he has no problem
    > with the sympatico sever, and he gets all of his files from news
    > groups. I'm stupid i lost contact with him. :S
    >
    > So Do u know how to save me. Again. Thanks.
    >
    > I know nothing about computers. lol. Thanks.

    Hi suntzu

    Please reply in the original thread so the conversation can be
    followed.

    Thanks. :)

    Boomer, Aug 4, 2003
  6. suntzu

    suntzu Guest

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 23:22:25 +0100, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    Mike i did what u said. But all of the files are missing... I'm not
    trying to download something specific right now but if i wanted to
    then i would only have headers with missing parts. Thats with the
    little broken page infront of it. All of the headers have it, even
    after getting all of the headers.

    And all of the default options for auto join are on.
    If i try and to a manual join then theres never all of the missing
    parts. and i get small files of 700kb and less...

    I think this means that since i have no complete .rar and no complete
    ..par files to download that neither would work...right?

    and like the web page link you gave me (and that ive placed in my
    favorites) says then its the news provider thats at fault.

    Do u know of any good free ones? Thanks.

    I know i'm cheap...lol...but if i were'nt then i would'nt be here now
    would I? :D

    suntzu, Aug 5, 2003
  7. suntzu

    suntzu Guest

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:20:52 -0400, "Ionizer"
    <> wrote:

    Do u think i could use rogers's news provider? For free that is. :)
    If so do u have the comlete news1.thing.pr.ca i'm supposed to type in.
    Thanks. :D

    suntzu, Aug 5, 2003
  8. suntzu

    trout Guest

    suntzu wrote:

    > Do u think i could use rogers's news provider? For free that is. :)
    > If so do u have the comlete news1.thing.pr.ca i'm supposed to type in.
    > Thanks. :D

    That won't work.
    Probably, about the best you're going to do, is something like Teranews.
    A*limited* (50MB/day) account is free, with a small one time sign-up
    fee.
    http://www.teranews.com/
    --
    "Their completion and retention is very good."

    > On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:20:52 -0400, "Ionizer"
    > <> wrote:
    >> You don't say which newsreader you're using, but it's probably
    >> irrelevant- a buddy of mine is on Sympatico and sees the same thing
    >> you seem to be seeing: many incomplete posts. I'm on Rogers

    <snip>

    trout, Aug 5, 2003