    pass the A+.

    I took a look at Mike Myers' other book and it seems to have a lot of detail
    and fluff. I just want what is needed to pass the exam.

    \(a\), Dec 13, 2003

  2. \(a\)

    \(a\) Guest

    I went to the local bookstore this afternoon and they didn't have the new
    passport book.

    I ended up purchasing A+ Fast Pass by Sybex. I'm going to just go through
    this book and write the exam. I'm not really interested in reading volumes
    of material such as AIO to pass an exam but am looking for material that
    focuses just on what I need to know.

    Hopefully Fast Pass and a couple of practise tests on the CD will be enough.
    In terms of my past experience, I don't have a lot, just opened up my pc to
    install ram or a hard drive, but that's about it.

    I'll let you guys know how it goes. If anyone has a success story using the
    passport or fast pass or something like that, I'd sure like to hear.

    Thanks

    "JBS" <> wrote in message
    > I think that depends on how much you know going in. If you are

    experienced,

    \(a\), Dec 14, 2003

  3. \(a\)

    RussS Guest

    Unless you have been studying with a few other books or have been in the
    field fora while I would strongly suggest Mikes All In One A+ book or
    something from another top author such as Scott Mueller or Dave Groth.

    RussS, Dec 14, 2003
  4. \(a\)

    \(a\) Guest

    In all honesty, the All in One is a 1200 page book, good for reference.

    I don't think I could retain that much information nor siphon through what
    is really important and required vs fluff.

    I will try the 300 page Fast Pass and hope it meets my needs.

    \(a\), Dec 14, 2003
  5. \(a\)

    RussS Guest

    Not at all. The AIO explains things in detail that you need to understand
    the subject. To be a competant technician you need to understand exactly
    how things work together to be able to diagnose a problem. If all you want
    is a piece of paper that says you passed a test then why even bother reading
    at all - just go to one of the flakey sites around and have them send you a
    counterfeit certificate.

    RussS, Dec 14, 2003
  6. \(a\)

    \(a\) Guest

    I will go with Fast Pass and if it turns out after taking the hardware
    component that the book isn't good, then I will buy the AIO. I'm just
    thinking of my days in University where each semester we purchased textbooks
    for each course, but other then reference to clarify a point or two here and
    there, I hardly used them and I did quite well in school.

    I'll write the hardware component in two weeks this Monday.

    "JBS" <> wrote in message
    > I'll second Russ on this one. Installing a few DIMMs in your PC doesn't
    > come close to the amount of experience you should have before taking this
    > test. I used Passport to A+ as my primary study guide, but I've been a
    > computer hobbyist since the early 80s and I have a related college degree.
    > Even then, I did great on the Core exam but my OS scores were kind of low.
    > I like the Passport series, they are well written and easy to read. They
    > make a great brush up for a subject you know well or a final read just
    > before the test. They can't take the place of a full feature study guide.
    > You might manage to squeek by, but I wouldn't count on it. Everything

    I've
    > been hearing says the the 2003 objectives test is harder than the 2001

    test.

    \(a\), Dec 14, 2003
  7. \(a\)

    \(a\) Guest

    In all honesty, I don't want it either. For years, the department I'm in
    has been providing desktop support and basic hardware troubleshooting. All
    this has been done without certification. We're now asked to complete this
    certification. It really won't enhance our ability.

    \(a\), Dec 16, 2003