Mike- My Documents Directory Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WeeWilly, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Mike.. Looking at your maintenance paper.. you state that one should limit
    the amount of files in that directory
    I have XPPro. It seems that all documents are stored in this directory
    (folder).. including subfolders for music, pictures, etc.
    Is this instruction from your maintenance page for older versions of windows
    or does it also include XP.

    If it does include XP.. would you have suggestions on how to move all
    sub/subsub folders out of My Documents?
    I guess what I'm asking.. is where in XP on Drive C: would they be located?

    For instance.. if I go to My Computer, I'll see "Files Stored on This
    Computer" which contains "Shared Documents", "Barb's Documents", "Bill's
    Documents". I'll also see "Hard Disk Drives" containing Local Disk "C",
    etc.
    If I click on "Bill's Documents" it will contain these folders: "My
    Deliveries"; "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" etc. Folders that could
    contain many megs or gigs of data... and XP "seems" to want to catalog files
    this way.

    So... help with this issue..

    Thanks,

    Bill

    WeeWilly, Dec 20, 2003

  2. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    http://groups.google.com/groups?th=66e1816318a8752f

    All of the shared documents, etc. folders are Shell Folders.
    Bill Gates, and Microsoft WANT you to use those folders,
    but you don't have to.

    I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you have an inordinate
    amount (number, *not* size) of files in any one Shell Folder.

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:57:09 -0800, in
    <>
    WeeWilly scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2003

  3. WeeWilly

    Billy Guest

    To piggy back on Mikes comment, the only other worry is if you nest
    files too deep within this folder.
    Ex. folder within folder, within folder, within folder, within folder,
    etc or with many lengthy folder names, in that string.

    Billy, Dec 20, 2003
  4. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Actually, I AM doing that with music and photos. What would you suggest,
    Mike and Billy?

    Where and how would I create new folders in XP..? It is quite different
    from W95 and W98. I'd have had no problems finding a place in the earlier
    OS'.. but this new one still has me stumped/learning.. that's why so many
    dumb questions.

    Willy

    WeeWilly, Dec 20, 2003
  5. WeeWilly

    Billy Guest

    You should be ok. I believe the default length is 4096 characters long
    (may be set to a max of 65535).
    The are normally stored like this to start. C:\Documents and
    Settings\YourUserName\My Documents plus additional folders/subfolders.
    As long as the programs (nice for the user too) know or can be shown
    where to find the files, you can put them anywhere.
    If you would like to move the entire folder this article will help.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310147&Product=winxp

    Billy, Dec 20, 2003
  6. WeeWilly

    c.rowlands4 Guest

    WeeWilly wrote:
    :: Actually, I AM doing that with music and photos. What would you
    :: suggest, Mike and Billy?
    ::
    :: Where and how would I create new folders in XP..? It is quite
    :: different from W95 and W98. I'd have had no problems finding a
    :: place in the earlier OS'.. but this new one still has me
    :: stumped/learning.. that's why so many dumb questions.
    ::
    :: Willy
    ::
    :: "Billy" <> wrote in message
    :: news:J5%Eb.12051$...
    ::: To piggy back on Mikes comment, the only other worry is if you nest
    ::: files too deep within this folder.
    ::: Ex. folder within folder, within folder, within folder, within
    ::: folder, etc or with many lengthy folder names, in that string.
    :::
    ::: "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    ::: news:...
    :::: Mike.. Looking at your maintenance paper.. you state that one
    :::: should limit the amount of files in that directory
    :::: I have XPPro. It seems that all documents are stored in this
    :::: directory (folder).. including subfolders for music, pictures, etc.
    :::: Is this instruction from your maintenance page for older versions
    :::: of windows or does it also include XP.
    ::::
[...]

    I quite agree, Bill. The set up in Xp is aweful to follow compared to
    previous systems. Does anyone produce a modern equivalent of XTree Gold that
    worked so well on W3.11? Things ain't what they used to be!

    ---

    c.rowlands4, Dec 20, 2003
  7. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    Put the music and photos wherever *you* want. Organize your
    hard drive the way *you* want. That's all there is to it.

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:24:46 -0800, in
    <>
    WeeWilly scrawled:

    --