    curious as to why Mike offered this book, when the All-In-One edition is so
    comprehensive and recommended.

    Any readers of the Passport book please weigh in, thanks...
    Gondo, Jul 3, 2005

  2. I am reading it right now, i have noticed a couple of discrepencies but
    nothing serious, its small and compact and great for between appointment
    reading

    Chris

    Chris Oldroyd, Jul 3, 2005

  3. On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 05:28:04 -0500, "Gondo" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm familiar with Mike's All-In-One book (the A+ "bible"), but just picked
    >up the Passport book at my local library today and it looks fairly
    >comprehensive. But I noticed a mistake in the answers to the first chapter
    >review questions, that said a parallel port is 36-pin instead of 25.

    The Centronics end of a parallel cable IS 36 pin.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 3, 2005
  4. On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 05:28:04 -0500, "Gondo" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm familiar with Mike's All-In-One book (the A+ "bible"), but just picked
    >up the Passport book at my local library today and it looks fairly
    >comprehensive. But I noticed a mistake in the answers to the first chapter
    >review questions, that said a parallel port is 36-pin instead of 25.
    >
    >There seems to be a lot more negative reviews of this book on Amazon vs.
    >All-In-One. I like being able to pack a decent-sized paperback vs. lug
    >around a huge hardback, but more importantly, will this book be effective in
    >helping me pass the A+ exams, or should I stick with the All-In-One? Was
    >curious as to why Mike offered this book, when the All-In-One edition is so
    >comprehensive and recommended.
    >
    >Any readers of the Passport book please weigh in, thanks...

    My understanding of this is that the Passport book is intended for
    someone who is experienced, to allow him/her to brush up on things,
    while the AIO is for someone starting fresh.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Gondo

    rainman Guest

    Re: Mike Meyers' Certification Passport (2nd Ed.) vs. A+ All-In-OneCertification (5th Ed.)

    rainman, Jul 4, 2005
  6. Gondo

    JohnO Guest

    > The AIO book is far more thorough, and is a handy reference as well as a
    > study guide. I consider myself experienced, but still found the AIO more
    > useful than the Passport book, because it was easy to skip over the
    > stuff I didn't need to brush up on. The 5th edition has a few typos, but
    > I spotted them easily, and nothing serious enough to give you misleading
    > information for the exam.

    In addition, Mike doesn't write all the Passport books. His name is on them,
    but a lot of those words aren't his. I don't have the A+ one handy, so I
    don't know about it specifically.

    -John O
    JohnO, Jul 6, 2005
  7. Gondo

    Linker3000 Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    >>The AIO book is far more thorough, and is a handy reference as well as a
    >>study guide. I consider myself experienced, but still found the AIO more
    >>useful than the Passport book, because it was easy to skip over the
    >>stuff I didn't need to brush up on. The 5th edition has a few typos, but
    >>I spotted them easily, and nothing serious enough to give you misleading
    >>information for the exam.

    > In addition, Mike doesn't write all the Passport books. His name is on them,
    > but a lot of those words aren't his. I don't have the A+ one handy, so I
    > don't know about it specifically.
    >
    > -John O

    You are right - a lot of the work is subcontracted to others in the field.
    Linker3000, Jul 6, 2005