    make this migratione?
    Thank's

    Andrea

    Andrea Racca, Oct 14, 2007

  2. Andrea Racca

    Jorge Silva Guest

    Hi
    - Direct upgrade in the x86 = Not Possible.
    - However you can introduce the x64 Windows 2003 in a different Server and
    add it as additional DC.
    - If you Plan to create a different forest and then migrate to that new
    forest, you should also be fine with that.

    --
    ===================================
    I hope that the information above helps you.

    Jorge Silva
    MCSE, MVP Directory Services
    ===================================

    Jorge Silva, Oct 14, 2007

  3. Andrea Racca

    Al Mulnick Guest

    First domain controller really makes no difference to speak of, as long as
    you transfer the roles. The harder part is Exchange because you installed
    it on a domain controller where it will retain its affinity for that domain
    controller.

    For my money, since you have to change hardware anyway, install Exchange
    2007 on the new hardware and transfer/migrate your Exchange to the new
    hardware (which is mostly your only choice with 2007 right? See microsoft's
    website for more information about adding Exchange 2007 to an Exchange 2003
    ORG.) That would be the first step. Then, when all of Exchange is
    transferred/migrated to the new machine, shutdown Exchange 2003 on the
    existing and let it bake for a week or so to be sure nothing got missed.
    Once you're sure, remove it completely. Then worry about the DC/GC.

    Be sure to transfer your FSMO roles from the DC to a new DC (retain at least
    two DC/GC's in your domain if you can.) and try not to put Exchange on a DC
    if you can help it. Having it standalone makes it easier to replace hardware
    as needed later. Since there is a new OS coming in the next year, you may as
    well prep for that now by not complicating the environment anymore then
    needed. Besides, Exchange does better if it's separated from the GC
    physically. Also, be sure to separate name resolution, dhcp, etc before you
    shut the servers down.

    My $0.04 (USD)

    Al

    Al Mulnick, Oct 14, 2007