Migration to Rapid SPT

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by dennis, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. dennis

    dennis Guest

    Hi Group,

    in a next few weeks I need to upgrade a network from PVST to Rapid
    PVST.
    The design is a traditionell 3 Layer Network
    Two core switche, 20 distribution and maybe 300 Access Switche

    My prefered way to upgrade is to start from the access level...and if
    all are upgraded (only for a pair distribution switche) I change on
    the two distri SW.
    The next step I go to the second access - distribution part...and also
    start again from access to distri....

    and at least when all distri and access switches are upgraded I change
    the core switches

    I don't know if this is the right way....can anyone confirm?

    Any help are welcome....

    greetz
    dennis

    dennis, Jan 28, 2007

  2. dennis

    stephen Guest

    "dennis" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > in a next few weeks I need to upgrade a network from PVST to Rapid
    > PVST.
    > The design is a traditionell 3 Layer Network
    > Two core switche, 20 distribution and maybe 300 Access Switche
    >
    > My prefered way to upgrade is to start from the access level...and if
    > all are upgraded (only for a pair distribution switche) I change on
    > the two distri SW.
    > The next step I go to the second access - distribution part...and also
    > start again from access to distri....
    >
    > and at least when all distri and access switches are upgraded I change
    > the core switches

    it is 1 way.

    FWIW - "traditional" designs for campus depends on when you started and what
    you learned on.

    But if you have to change anyway, now is a good time to see if you can come
    up with a new design rather than just speed up the old one (unless it is
    already perfect of course :) )

    > I don't know if this is the right way....can anyone confirm?

    1 prefer a design that doesnt "need" spanning tree at all.

    if you make every access switch a separate subnet and route at distribution
    / core, then you can let the routing protocol handle convergence.

    At that point spanning tree is only there to take care of accidental loops,
    and isnt involved during topology changes.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Jan 28, 2007