Migration to Rapid-PVST

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Robert Hass, May 13, 2006.

  1. Robert Hass

    Robert Hass Guest

    Hi

    I have question regarding migration from classic PVST to Rapid-PVST. My
    Layer2 network diagram:

    customers

    2950G

    ge

    3560G--ge--3750G---ge---7304
    / | |
    ge | |
    / | |
    customers---3550 ge ge
    \ | |
    ge | |
    \ | |
    2960G--ge--3560G---ge---7304
    / \
    ge ge
    / \
    customers--2950G 2950G--customers

    All above switches are working in same VTP domain, so they have same
    VLANs database (currently about 60 VLANs). 3750G switch is root-bridge
    for all VLANs, core-switches (2960G,2x3560G,3750G) carring VLANs from
    access-switches (3550, 3x2950G) to edge routers (2x7304).

    How procedure of migration to Rapid-PVST should looks ? Should I first
    upgrade core switches and next access-switches ? Is this migration
    bring some outages in network (eg. caused by spanning-tree
    recalcuations).

    Thanks for help,
    Robert
    Robert Hass, May 13, 2006

  2. Robert Hass

    genki Guest

    Ensure that everything you have supports rpvst otherwise it will just
    revert to pvst+

    Ensure that you have portfast configured where you need it and keep in
    mind how
    rpvst calculates it's tree, ports with full duplex etc.

    I would just roll out the spanning-tree rpvst command across the board
    during a
    scheduled maintenance window, to be sure.

    As you enable it on switches they will probably continue to run pvst
    until all
    the switches stop seeing older version bpdu's.
    genki, May 13, 2006