Migration strategy -

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by DLH, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. DLH

    DLH Guest

    Hi..
    I currently have two segments on my network:
    192.168.16.0/24 and 192.168.17.0/24 along with other routers and stuff
    that go to other places.
    The Cisco 3620 router routes between the segments and feeds switches
    dedicated to each segment. I have DHCP running and also use static IP
    addresses for about 70 servers and non dhcp capable pieces of
    equipment.

    Here is the issue.
    I need to change the IP addresses of these segments to 172.29.112 and
    172.129.113 respectively.

    Is there a way that I can sit the new segments right on top of the old
    segments and then change the Static IP addresses over without losing
    connectivity? I would imagine that I could then change over the static
    IP addresses to the new numbers then change dhcp in one fell swoop. If
    I just get a cheap router (or a quick linux box) to route between the
    segments, can I plug the 172.29.112.1 and 113.1 ports of the new
    router into the switch fabric of the old segments and route both
    segments appropriately?

    TIA
    David

    DLH, Jun 19, 2006

  2. DLH

    kevin Guest

    Hi.
    Maybe secondary IP address can help you. you can add both new IP
    address gateway on each interface. for example

    interface f0/0

    192.168.16.254/24
    172.29.112.254/24 secondary

    then change the DHCP ip address pool to 172.29.112.1~100 (see you
    situation)
    at this time.both 192.168.16.0 and 172.29.112.0 have connectivity.
    you can manually change 192.168.16.x static address.

    once you complete change all 192.168.16.0 host. you can choose a proper
    time to change the interface ip address. delete 192.168.16.254 forever.

    this is my 2 cent

    kevin, Jun 20, 2006