    processors. We would like to upgrade the OS to Windows 2003 x64. Is this
    possible? If so what is the recomended path. Go to standard 2003 first and
    then switch to x64....?
    =?Utf-8?B?TGVl?=, Oct 9, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGVl?=

    Theo Guest

    Regardless of how you go from 2000 to 2003, you will have to
    do a complete clean install when you decide to go to 2003
    x64. There is no viable upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit.
    There are some different paths for 32-bit programs in x64.
    If you try to 'upgrade' from 32-bit to 64-bit directly,
    which is neither recommended nor supported, you would end up
    with a mess and eventually have to do a complete clean
    install to get your system functioning properly.

    Theo, Oct 9, 2006

  3. Thanks. I thought as much, we have a couple of x64s running and they were
    installed as x64 from the get-go.
    =?Utf-8?B?TGVl?=, Oct 9, 2006
  4. There is no "upgrade" path. All x64 installs must be a clean install. That
    being said, since you say the machine in question is a "PDC", there are
    solutions that will preserve your existing Active Directory structure and
    contents.

    * Install Server 2003 SP1 on a second machine - call it "TempDC" or
    whatever. Doesn't need to be anything that is a "real" server, just about
    any old workstation will do.
    * Join it to the domain.
    * DCPromo to make it a DC
    * Transfer all the FSMO roles to it, and make it a GC server.
    * DCPromo on the original machine to demote it.
    * Remove the original machine from the domain.
    * Rebuild the original machine as an x64 machine
    * Join to domain, dcpromo, transfer roles back, make GC.
    * dcpromo the tempdc to demote it, remove from domain, and return it to it's
    original state or rebuild it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64