Migration of a WIN2000 "native mode" domain to WINSERVER 2003 doma

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?TW9yZW5v?=, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. Hi to all.

    This is my scenario.
    In our company we have a "SINGLE DOMAIN - MULTIPLE SITES" Windows 2000
    "native mode" domain, running Active Directory.

    There are, currently, 4 sites with 6 DC's.
    The situation is as follows.

    FIRST SITE
    =======
    In the first site (the company headquarters), there are TWO DC's and one of
    these is the OPERATION MASTER for the forest, the MAIN DNS, etc.
    The second DC' is a second CG server but it is only a simple file server

    SECOND SITE (located at 20 km from the first site)
    =========
    In the second site, there are other TWO DC's, one of these runs the GC, DNS
    for the site, WINS, DHCP, etc.

    THIRD SITE (located 150 km from the first site)
    =======
    Only a single GC DOMAIN CONTROLLER to serve the internal LAN

    FOURTH SITE (located 200 km from the first site)
    =========
    Only a single GC DOMAIN CONTROLLER to serve the internal LAN

    All the sites are connected via HDSL links (2 Mbits) and replicated to the
    first site regularly every THREE HOURS with the operation's master DC.
    All works well, no problems.

    Now, we have decided to migrate all the entire domain to the WIN 2003
    platform, but, obviously, we have many hundreds of users and computers and
    we
    would like to migrate to the new environment without problems.

    So, the great question is: what are the steps to do to make a successful
    migration?

    Can someone help me?

    Thanks in advance to all!!

    Bye Bye.

    Moreno
    (Italy)
    =?Utf-8?B?TW9yZW5v?=, Nov 29, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TW9yZW5v?=

    beoweolf Guest

    Generally speaking, if you are running W2K, then you should be able to
    "upgrade" rather than migrate to 2003. Run W2K3 on the DC to make sure all
    applications, platforms, etc are compatible with W2K3. After any drivers,
    change, purchase or modify software which is not compatible

    Starting with the "root" server, upgrade the DC's to W2K3. Then the other
    DC's. How far you need want to go with W2K3 forest and Domain level is
    something you need to determine before making the switch. Licensing
    structure is different under W2K3, you should check that too...see if it
    will change your subscription rates.

    Two things you may wish to change would be to configure an "empty"
    enterprise root above the HQ domain. And change the two sites with DC's from
    GC to Universal group membership caching..

    Follow normal precautions...backup each server "before" upgrade and another
    backup after completion.

    If you are asking these questions, I strongly suggest you have an
    experienced migration expert on standby...just in case.

    beoweolf, Nov 29, 2004

  3. I agree with beoweolf.
    Your best "migration" path should be an "upgrade" one.
    If you prefer fresh installations over upgraded machines, you can add fresh
    2003 servers to your domain and later remove your "old" 2000 ones. In this
    scenario your biggest concern is not the AD, but the applications deployed:
    you have to figure out a way to reconfigure your client to use the new
    server instead of the old one. In example if you move your file shares from
    \\oldserver\data to \\newserver\data you have to find a way to update all
    links in your clients.

    Kind regards,
    Corrado

    Corrado Labinaz, Dec 2, 2004