    problems in the way?

    Many thanks
    Paul Archibald Smith
    Paul Smith, Dec 2, 2008

  2. Paul Smith

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Hi Paul,

    Aside from the fact that you are in the wrong newsgroup, here's what you
    have to do:

    1) Format the new server, then join it to the existing Windows 2000 domain.
    2) Run DCPromo.exe on the new server, making it a domain controller in the
    exiting domain.
    3) Allow the existing AD to replicated to the new domain controller.

    Now, this will only work if you are willing to use the same domain. If you
    really do want to create a new domain, then you have to use the csvde.exe
    command to export and then import your AD, but will lose a lot of settings
    along the way.

    Good luck!

    Mitch Garvis
    Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
    http://garvis.ca/blogs

    Montreal_MCT, Dec 2, 2008

  3. Paul Smith

    Paul Smith Guest

    Thanks for the procedure and all the details. But the problem is that my
    current server (the one to be replaced) sometimes turns off on its own and I
    am afraid that whilst doing the migration this will occur...

    Paul Smith, Dec 3, 2008
  4. Paul Smith

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Nothing will occur... It will continue to try to replicate until it is
    successful.

    Montreal_MCT, Dec 3, 2008