Migrating routing to 6509 question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by GJP, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. GJP

    GJP Guest

    We currently have a 6509 connected to a 5500 which is in turn
    connected to a 7000 router.

    Current LAN is switched through 6509 and 5500. 6509 and 5500
    connected together via EtherChannel.

    All routing is performed by the 7000 with the link to the firewall on
    a FE interface on the 7000.

    12 VLANs, some with secondary IP addresses, several access lists,
    static routing.

    All routing now needs to be performed by the 6509.

    Can the 6509 MSFCs be configured without affecting the existing
    routing performed by the 7000 and then "activated" out of hours with
    the 7000 disconnected from the firewall and the 6509 connected?

    Thanks in advance.

    GJP, Nov 19, 2004

  2. GJP

    Barry Guest

    Yes,
    You can config the router interfaces and in a shutdown state. Usually I
    leave the IP address off the interface even if its shutdown, but maybe I am
    just being paranoid. Then when your ready to change turn the interfaces up
    and change your static routes. We have had some firewall arp problems in
    the past when making routing changes so if you see any weirdness it might
    help to flush your firewall arp.

    -Barry

    Barry, Nov 19, 2004

  3. GJP

    GJP Guest

    Thanks for that, I just needed the concept confirming by somebody.

    The ARP problems are something I have experienced before when swapping
    to redundant firewalls and/or routers. Good point.

    I think entering the config with the interfaces in "shutdown" will be
    the way forward.

    GJP, Nov 21, 2004
  4. GJP

    mh Guest

    You should also evaluate whether you are goinhg to run the 6509 in
    hybrid or native mode; I personally prefer native mode.

    mh, Nov 21, 2004