    to hear from you.

    Thank you.
    Antonio
    acdsp, Jan 21, 2007

  2. acdsp

    Guest

    acdsp wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > We've been running 2 6500, supervisor 1a/pfc/msfc for some years and as
    > the network have grown, we bought 4 supervisor II, pfc2, msfc2 (no
    > budget for Sup720 for now). I'm looking for hear from people who made
    > this conversion for any tips they have.
    >
    > The first difference we've found is the limitation in the number of
    > HSRP groups (256 in Supervisor 1 and 16 in supervisor 2, sigh!).
    >
    > If there are some thoughts, reports, regrets :), etc, I will be glad
    > to hear from you.

    Hmmm. 16 system wide unique HSRP groups hardly seems like a
    limitation to me.

    It does prevent you from doing

    int x
    ip 10.1.x.1 /24
    stand x whatever

    repeat for x = 1 to 255.

    However this is a convention that does not produce any
    network functional benefit.

    There is nothing to prevent you from using the same standby group(s) on
    every
    interface. I have seen cases where two groups were used
    on each interface for load balancing but never more.

    int x
    ip 10.1.x.1 /24
    stand 1 ......
    stand 2 .....

    repeat for x - 1 to 255

    Anyway for a full explanation see:-

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_qanda_item09186a008011c6bb.shtml#q1

    Cisco hardly ever do anything that prevents customers from delivering
    effective networks. Really, it's very rare which is why I knew to look
    it up.
    , Jan 21, 2007

  3. acdsp

    stephen Guest

    "acdsp" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > We've been running 2 6500, supervisor 1a/pfc/msfc for some years and as
    > the network have grown, we bought 4 supervisor II, pfc2, msfc2 (no
    > budget for Sup720 for now). I'm looking for hear from people who made
    > this conversion for any tips they have.
    >
    > The first difference we've found is the limitation in the number of
    > HSRP groups (256 in Supervisor 1 and 16 in supervisor 2, sigh!).

    you dont mention whether you are running CatOS /IOS or an integrated
    image....

    16 group addresses or possibly some other limit (i think - a long time
    ago) - but you can reuse them within different subnets....

    > If there are some thoughts, reports, regrets :), etc, I will be glad
    > to hear from you.

    MSFC / PFC IP doesnt use route caching, so better performance than a Sup 1A
    for some forwarding, and some better hardware assist.

    sup1a EOL - note near the end on trade ins....
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_eol_notice0900aecd8017a5d1.html

    Cat6k stuff
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

    best practice bit (CatOS - there is a similar one for IOS somewhere on
    cisco.com)
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a0080094713.shtml

    AFAIR better QoS as well, depending on s/w, line cards etc......

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    stephen, Jan 23, 2007