    to add these production WLCs easily, or do we need to wipe their
    configurations and add them to the WCS server as if they were new?

    Thanks!
    pfisterfarm, May 8, 2009

  2. pfisterfarm wrote:
    > I'm working for a client that has probably 8 or 9 sites, each with a
    > 4402 WLC. They're now talking about implementing a WCS. Is there a way
    > to add these production WLCs easily, or do we need to wipe their
    > configurations and add them to the WCS server as if they were new?

    Well... As usual, the answer is - it depends :)

    On one hand you can import WLC configuration into WCS. It will produce
    lots of randomly named configuration entries. But time wise this option
    takes few mouse clicks. Obviously this is typical quick and dirty approach.

    Another way is to configure all required parameters via WCS. You can do
    the audit along the way to get the difference between WCS and WLC
    configs. Takes much more time, but end results should be very manageable
    and easy to understand configuration.

    Third way is just add WLC to WCS for monitoring purposes and ignore
    configuration aspect of WCS completely. But why bother with WCS in that
    case?

    Regards,
    Andrey.
    Andrey Tarasov, May 9, 2009

  3. pfisterfarm

    Thrill5 Guest

    "Andrey Tarasov" <> wrote in message
    > pfisterfarm wrote:
    >> I'm working for a client that has probably 8 or 9 sites, each with a
    >> 4402 WLC. They're now talking about implementing a WCS. Is there a way
    >> to add these production WLCs easily, or do we need to wipe their
    >> configurations and add them to the WCS server as if they were new?

    > Well... As usual, the answer is - it depends :)
    >
    > On one hand you can import WLC configuration into WCS. It will produce
    > lots of randomly named configuration entries. But time wise this option
    > takes few mouse clicks. Obviously this is typical quick and dirty
    > approach.

    All you need to do keep one configuration entry for each configuration
    option and delete the rest, then reapply the configuration entry to each
    WLC.

    > Another way is to configure all required parameters via WCS. You can do
    > the audit along the way to get the difference between WCS and WLC configs.
    > Takes much more time, but end results should be very manageable and easy
    > to understand configuration.

    If you do this, then you will then need to go back to each WLC and
    re-configure those items that are unique to that WLC. The former method is
    easier.

    > Third way is just add WLC to WCS for monitoring purposes and ignore
    > configuration aspect of WCS completely. But why bother with WCS in that
    > case?

    WCS is great for monitoring WLC's and AP's and standardizing 95% of the WLC
    configuration, but it is still easier to configure many things on each WLC
    directly. There are bugs in WCS when applying configuration entries created
    in WCS and to a controller (like configuring AAA settings), where they just
    wont apply correctly to the controller. You also can't correctly assign
    WLANs to interfaces, configure mobility groups, assign names to AP's,
    configure primary, secondary, or teriary WLC's to AP's, etc. WCS is a great
    tool, but you can't use it exclusively to manage all aspects of a WLC. In
    my opinion WCS is a great tool, but not worth it unless you also use it for
    the wireless security aspects of the product.

    Thrill5, May 9, 2009
  4. Thrill5 wrote:
    > "Andrey Tarasov" <> wrote in message
    >> pfisterfarm wrote:
    >>> I'm working for a client that has probably 8 or 9 sites, each with a
    >>> 4402 WLC. They're now talking about implementing a WCS. Is there a way
    >>> to add these production WLCs easily, or do we need to wipe their
    >>> configurations and add them to the WCS server as if they were new?

    >> Well... As usual, the answer is - it depends :)
    >>
    >> On one hand you can import WLC configuration into WCS. It will produce
    >> lots of randomly named configuration entries. But time wise this option
    >> takes few mouse clicks. Obviously this is typical quick and dirty
    >> approach.
    >>

    > All you need to do keep one configuration entry for each configuration
    > option and delete the rest, then reapply the configuration entry to each
    > WLC.

    Unless you want different things on different controllers. So you will
    have to remember the difference between Switching12345 and
    Switching45678, as an example.

    >> Another way is to configure all required parameters via WCS. You can do
    >> the audit along the way to get the difference between WCS and WLC configs.
    >> Takes much more time, but end results should be very manageable and easy
    >> to understand configuration.

    > If you do this, then you will then need to go back to each WLC and
    > re-configure those items that are unique to that WLC. The former method is
    > easier.

    You can handle it via WCS.

    >> Third way is just add WLC to WCS for monitoring purposes and ignore
    >> configuration aspect of WCS completely. But why bother with WCS in that
    >> case?
    >>

    > WCS is great for monitoring WLC's and AP's and standardizing 95% of the WLC
    > configuration, but it is still easier to configure many things on each WLC
    > directly. There are bugs in WCS when applying configuration entries created
    > in WCS and to a controller (like configuring AAA settings), where they just
    > wont apply correctly to the controller. You also can't correctly assign
    > WLANs to interfaces, configure mobility groups, assign names to AP's,
    > configure primary, secondary, or teriary WLC's to AP's, etc. WCS is a great
    > tool, but you can't use it exclusively to manage all aspects of a WLC. In
    > my opinion WCS is a great tool, but not worth it unless you also use it for
    > the wireless security aspects of the product.

    Hmm... Are we talking about the same product? I never had a single
    problem you've mentioned. Disclaimer - I'm using 4.1 and 4.2 MD releases.

    Regards,
    Andrey.
    Andrey Tarasov, May 9, 2009