    passwords from the encrypted file?

    Thank you

    Christian Dornes aka CrazyC
    Christian Dornes, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Christian Dornes wrote:

    > I have to say that I used a master password for my password manager, I still
    > know it. But Mozilla (1.5 Gecko/20031007) doesn't ask me for that password,
    > when I click on "Manage Stored Passwords", nothing happens at all.
    >
    > Does anyone have a solution, or at least some method to recover the
    > passwords from the encrypted file?

    I think you also need to restore the *.db files, although I am not sure
    which of those contains the master password. There normally are cert7.db
    and/or cert8.db, key3.db, and secmod.db. I think it is the last one...
    --
    Greetings,
    Peter.
    Peter Weilbacher, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Christian Dornes

    dantu Guest

    Christian Dornes wrote:

    >I have re-installed my whole system (format C: method) and reinstalled
    >Mozilla. Now I'd like to restore my saved passwords and forms. I have saved
    >the "42990862.s" and "42990862.w" files because I thought I could use them
    >again. I did change prefs.js to point at the right files, so that's not the
    >problem.
    >I have to say that I used a master password for my password manager, I still
    >know it. But Mozilla (1.5 Gecko/20031007) doesn't ask me for that password,
    >when I click on "Manage Stored Passwords", nothing happens at all.
    >
    >Does anyone have a solution, or at least some method to recover the
    >passwords from the encrypted file?
    >
    >Thank you
    >
    >Christian Dornes aka CrazyC

    To get saved passwords (xxxxx.s) and saved form data (xxxxxx.w) files
    moved.

    In the target profile, save a password (any email password will do)
    this will create a xxxxx.s file

    now take the old .s and .w files and rename them to the new number, put
    them in the profile
    the program will see them as its own.

    (ie. the old ones are named 42990862.s, 42990862.w the profile
    creates one with a saved password called 99944123.s
    rename the old ones to 99944123.s and 99944123.w respectively, put them
    in the profile, let them replace the newer one (s) there)

    remove the pointers you changed in the prefs.js of course

    the 'name' of the files is a function of the program, and simply
    changing the pointers wont do it
    but the above method of replacing the files will.
    dantu, Dec 3, 2003
  4. It's working again :D

    Thank you all very much!

    It could recover the password I needed the way Peter proposed in his e-mail,
    so you may stop posting now.

    Christian

    P.S. Sorry for the double posting, but I must admit that I'm a newbie
    concerning newsgroups and my newsreader (which is probably the worst one out
    there, M$ Outlook Express). Please don't be angry with me, I'm just not into
    it yet.
    Christian Dornes, Dec 4, 2003