    My aim is to ditch our ISDN2 line and run everything over VoIP, but it
    would be nice to not have to change telephone numbers...

    Herman

    Herman, May 18, 2006

  2. Herman

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Herman" <> wrote in message
    news:p
    > I've been playing with VoIP and Asterisk for the past
    > week or so. Reading the postings here has been very
    > helpful, but I am left with a few questions...
    >
    > Do I understand corretly that it is possible to migrate a
    > landline number to VOIP? What I mean is that when someone
    > dials my current landline number it doesn't go to the
    > landline, but comes in on my VoIP?
    >
    > If so, is the same possible with a block of 10 numbers on
    > an ISDN line?
    >
    > My aim is to ditch our ISDN2 line and run everything over
    > VoIP, but it would be nice to not have to change
    > telephone numbers...

    It's possible in theory, but it all depends on whether your landline
    and/or VoIP provider can or will do it.

    If you're using Asterisk then Gradwell have a service that may be of use:

    http://www.gradwell.com/voip/asterisk.php

    They also do a Centrex service for business use:

    http://www.gradwell.com/voip/corporate.php

    They also have a reputation for reliability, certainly I haven't had any
    problems with my single line, apart from a small problem when I first
    started which was very quickly ironed out.

    Note though that unless things have changed in recent weeks they are only
    able to port in numbers from the London 020 code and maybe one or two
    others, I'm not sure. Peter Gradwell who runs the company posts here
    sometimes, so he may be able to answer your questions.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2006

  3. Ivor Jones wrote:

    > Note though that unless things have changed in recent weeks they are only
    > able to port in numbers from the London 020 code and maybe one or two
    > others, I'm not sure. Peter Gradwell who runs the company posts here
    > sometimes, so he may be able to answer your questions.
    >

    > Ivor

    http://www.gradwell.co.uk/voip/number_porting.php

    Alternatively Voipfone say they can port numbers from most uk areas,
    don't know anyone who's done it yet though.

    Thomas Kenyon, May 18, 2006
  4. Herman

    alex Guest

    Herman wrote:
    > I've been playing with VoIP and Asterisk for the past week or so. Reading
    > the postings here has been very helpful, but I am left with a few
    > questions...
    >
    > Do I understand corretly that it is possible to migrate a landline number
    > to VOIP? What I mean is that when someone dials my current landline number
    > it doesn't go to the landline, but comes in on my VoIP?
    >
    > If so, is the same possible with a block of 10 numbers on an ISDN line?

    Whether or not you can port the numbers will depend a bit on which ITSP
    you're looking at. I've done quite a few ports for VoIPtalk and they
    tend to go pretty smoothly. Downtime should be seconds, if that. The
    main issue we have is that we can only port numbers from the South
    East... :-(

    Alex

    alex, May 18, 2006