mid to mp3 ??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by pour-lay, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. pour-lay

    pour-lay Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:40:12 GMT, (Steve Robertson)
    wrote:

    >What software will convert mid to mp3??
    >Any winamp plugins do this??
    >Thanks

    I wonder why you would want to. Apart from increasing the filesize
    quite dramatically is there any worthwhile reason to do it?

    pour-lay, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Steve Robertson wrote:
    > What software will convert mid to mp3??
    > Any winamp plugins do this??
    > Thanks

    The "WaveWriter" plugin that comes with Winamp will write it out to disk for
    you as a wav file (Select it in output plugin configuration). Then you can
    get an MP3 encoder program off the internet (Try http://www.download.com )

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 23, 2003

  3. What software will convert mid to mp3??
    Any winamp plugins do this??
    Thanks

    Steve Robertson, Nov 23, 2003
  4. pour-lay

    Mike Dee Guest

    (Steve Robertson) wrote in news:3fc06164$:

    > What software will convert mid to mp3??

    "TiMidity++"
    MIDI to mp3, .WAV, etc etc... Great freeware app.

    Mike Dee, Nov 23, 2003
  5. pour-lay

    David Guest

    "Steve Robertson" <> wrote in message
    > What software will convert mid to mp3??
    > Any winamp plugins do this??
    > Thanks

    One I use is dbpoweramp - it is free. Some people have issues with codecs
    needing to be added - only needed if other than mp3's. I like it, it's fast.
    lite and easy http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

    David

    David, Nov 23, 2003
  6. pour-lay

    Stuart Guest

    "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    > (Steve Robertson) wrote in news:3fc06164$:
    >
    > > What software will convert mid to mp3??

    > "TiMidity++"
    > MIDI to mp3, .WAV, etc etc... Great freeware app.

    Requires a decent amount of patches tho... my eawpats directory is ~34MB.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Nov 23, 2003
  7. Hi there,

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > What software will convert mid to mp3??
    > Any winamp plugins do this??
    > Thanks

    Not sure about Windows. I think I have audio software on Linux that will
    do the job, but it relies on sampling the mpu401 wavetable device inbuilt
    on the PC soundcard. If thats crappy (most are) then the MP3 you make will
    also be crappy...

    I use an external Roland MIDI sound-module, and that sounds much better than
    any mpu401 device I've heard...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 24, 2003
  8. Hi there,

    Stuart wrote:
    > "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> (Steve Robertson) wrote in news:3fc06164$:
    >>

    >>>What software will convert mid to mp3??

    >>"TiMidity++"
    >>MIDI to mp3, .WAV, etc etc... Great freeware app.

    > Requires a decent amount of patches tho... my eawpats directory is ~34MB.

    I just tried it with a nice MIDI song. Using an external Roland MIDI module
    it sounds heavenly, but not so with TiMidity...euurrrk! Its a pretty tinky
    sounding wavetable set!! :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 24, 2003