micrsofot bluetooth keyboard/mouse - says it requires service pack2 but does it?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by RK276, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. RK276

    RK276 Guest

    Hi all.

    I already have XP (without Service pack2 installed because of all the
    nightmares ive heard) and already have a bluetooth dongle which I use
    effectively to pair with my ericsson phone.

    Now - I have purchased a bluetooth keyboard/mouse which comes with another
    dongle, and the install CD says I need to install service pack 2.

    Given I already have installed the other dongle and bluetooth is working on
    my machine, can I avoid SP2 in any way?

    The install CD wont let me proceed as it says I need SP2 installed, download
    here etc....

    Is there another way, or am I up for a total rebuild? (Ive committed to that
    if I must install SP2 but would prefer not to)

    RK276, Nov 19, 2005

  2. "RK276" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I already have XP (without Service pack2 installed because of all the
    > nightmares ive heard) and already have a bluetooth dongle which I use
    > effectively to pair with my ericsson phone.
    >
    > Now - I have purchased a bluetooth keyboard/mouse which comes with another
    > dongle, and the install CD says I need to install service pack 2.
    >
    > Given I already have installed the other dongle and bluetooth is working
    > on
    > my machine, can I avoid SP2 in any way?
    >
    > The install CD wont let me proceed as it says I need SP2 installed,
    > download
    > here etc....
    >
    > Is there another way, or am I up for a total rebuild? (Ive committed to
    > that
    > if I must install SP2 but would prefer not to)

    Service Pack 2 is not the nightmare that the few would have you believe. All
    3 computers in this house, and 2 at work have SP2 without any problem.

    I suspect that over the whole world there are far more computers without
    problems then with. It's just you don't hear of the millions of people
    without issues. Would make pretty boring posts!

    Most problems with SP2 are to do with obscure software/hardware that doesn't
    have updated drivers. Most common software does not have a problem with SP2,
    and it is far better to have it then be running such an outdated version of
    XP on the net.

    Soon Microsoft will force you to have it, to recieve any updates. With
    something as ropey as Windows, you need all the updates you can get.

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Nov 19, 2005

  3. RK276

    Trax Guest

    "RK276" <> wrote:

    |>Hi all.
    |>
    |>I already have XP (without Service pack2 installed because of all the
    |>nightmares ive heard) and already have a bluetooth dongle which I use
    |>effectively to pair with my ericsson phone.
    |>
    |>Now - I have purchased a bluetooth keyboard/mouse which comes with another
    |>dongle, and the install CD says I need to install service pack 2.
    |>
    |>Given I already have installed the other dongle and bluetooth is working on
    |>my machine, can I avoid SP2 in any way?
    |>
    |>The install CD wont let me proceed as it says I need SP2 installed, download
    |>here etc....
    |>
    |>Is there another way, or am I up for a total rebuild? (Ive committed to that
    |>if I must install SP2 but would prefer not to)

    XP's SP2 supports bluetooth better http://tinyurl.com/3d9qk

    I would say the software is making use of the upgrade and your pretty
    much stuck.

    --
    Napster gets down, and...
    http://www.getthewholething.co.uk/

    Trax, Nov 19, 2005
  4. RK276

    EricP Guest

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:40:54 GMT, "RK276" <> wrote:

    >Hi all.
    >
    >I already have XP (without Service pack2 installed because of all the
    >nightmares ive heard) and already have a bluetooth dongle which I use
    >effectively to pair with my ericsson phone.
    >
    >Now - I have purchased a bluetooth keyboard/mouse which comes with another
    >dongle, and the install CD says I need to install service pack 2.
    >
    >Given I already have installed the other dongle and bluetooth is working on
    >my machine, can I avoid SP2 in any way?
    >
    >The install CD wont let me proceed as it says I need SP2 installed, download
    >here etc....
    >
    >Is there another way, or am I up for a total rebuild? (Ive committed to that
    >if I must install SP2 but would prefer not to)

    Sp2 has some additions to improve radio connectivity. It might be
    refering to that.

    EricP, Nov 19, 2005