Microwave a DVD

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nighthawk, Jul 30, 2007.

  1. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    Nighthawk, Jul 30, 2007

  2. Nighthawk

    peterwn Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/

    I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them
    in the oven then threw them out.

    I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    defy moderate forensic reading.

    peterwn, Jul 30, 2007

  3. Nighthawk

    BTMO Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote

    > I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them in
    > the oven then threw them out.
    >
    > I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    > defy moderate forensic reading.

    I assume you don't have a fireplace...

    ;-)

    BTMO, Jul 30, 2007
  4. On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 07:32:43 +1200, peterwn <>
    wrote:

    >I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    >defy moderate forensic reading.

    Stick them in a bag and bang them with a hammer

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Jul 30, 2007
  5. Nighthawk

    peterwn Guest

    BTMO wrote:
    > "peterwn" <> wrote
    >
    >> I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them in
    >> the oven then threw them out.
    >>
    >> I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    >> defy moderate forensic reading.

    > I assume you don't have a fireplace...

    That is right. But I would still be worried about toxic combustion
    products and residue.

    peterwn, Jul 30, 2007
  6. Nighthawk

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/
    >>

    > I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked
    > them in the oven then threw them out.
    >
    > I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's
    > to defy moderate forensic reading.

    Microwave then a heavy pair of scissors.

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 30, 2007
  7. Nighthawk

    XPD Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/
    >>

    > I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them in
    > the oven then threw them out.
    >
    > I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    > defy moderate forensic reading.

    Give them to a 1 year old.

    XPD, Jul 30, 2007
  8. Nighthawk

    Stuart Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/
    >>

    > I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them in
    > the oven then threw them out.
    >
    > I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    > defy moderate forensic reading.

    My shredder does a good job on CD's, DVD's and floppy's as well as old tax
    returns <g>

    Stuart, Jul 31, 2007
  9. Nighthawk

    Shane Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    > Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/
    >>

    > I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them
    > in the oven then threw them out.
    >
    > I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    > defy moderate forensic reading.

    I find if I tell the family/pets that the media has something important on
    it(eg. a semesters worth of assignments) then thats enough to ensure it
    will be destroyed permanently.
    --
    Q: Who knows everything there is to be known about vector analysis?
    A: The Oracle of del phi!

    Shane, Jul 31, 2007
  10. Nighthawk

    TT Guest

    "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    :
    : Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/
    :
    I always thought Princo did that all by themselves ;-)

    Cheers TT

    TT, Jul 31, 2007
  11. "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/
    >>

    > I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them in
    > the oven then threw them out.
    >
    > I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to defy
    > moderate forensic reading.

    Buy princo. ; )

    Fraser

    Fraser Johnston, Jul 31, 2007
  12. Nighthawk

    Bruce Knox Guest

    wrote:

    >Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/
    >>

    >I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them
    >in the oven then threw them out.
    >
    >I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    >defy moderate forensic reading.

    Hammer a few small nails through a piece of wood then use the sharp
    bits on the label side of the CD. It should peel off enough of the
    recording layer to satisfy most. A pair of sissors works as well but
    less points.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Jul 31, 2007
  13. Nighthawk

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2007-07-30, peterwn <> wrote:
    > Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/

    > I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them
    > in the oven then threw them out.

    run them over a stong magnet will do it, I own a magnet strong enough
    to lift a 5.25" floppy disk.

    > I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    > defy moderate forensic reading.

    microwave (then dishwasher if you are paranoid), use dishwasher detergent.

    a heavy duty shredder (optionally followed by hydrochloric acid)

    or go all in , sand blasting, a furnace etc...

    If the files are encrypted with something strong (3des etc) it
    will take only a little data loss to render them completely
    unreadable (even if the examiner has the key)

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Jul 31, 2007
  14. Nighthawk

    Jerry Guest

    Jonathan Wilson wrote:
    > Get a CD shredder from Officeworks or somewhere similar. Should turn a
    > CD or DVD into small enough pieces to prevent anyone reading the info.

    Iranian students can get them back together, they did all the documents
    that the US Embassy shredded.

    Jerry, Jul 31, 2007
  15. Nighthawk

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <46af0d49$>,
    Jerry <> wrote:
    >Iranian students can get them back together, they did all the documents
    >that the US Embassy shredded.

    They only assembled the documents shredded with the standard straight shred
    blades. They had no success with the high-security documents shredded with
    the crosscut shredders. A CD is a couple orders of magnitude worse, you won't
    recover any data from a crosscut shredded CD even if you do have all the
    pieces.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Jul 31, 2007
  16. Nighthawk

    Pete Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    > I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    > defy moderate forensic reading.

    A CD shredder?

    Peter

    Pete, Jul 31, 2007
  17. Nighthawk

    Robert Cooze Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/
    >>

    > I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them
    > in the oven then threw them out.
    >
    > I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    > defy moderate forensic reading.

    Belt sand the top surface. Out on the road put disk on ground label side
    down and step and drag on the disk shreds the foil and the dye in one
    nice move concrete works best.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 31, 2007
  18. Nighthawk

    Jeßus Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:

    I don't mean to be mean... but is that [/really/] your surname?

    --
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.

    - Epicurus

    Jeßus, Aug 1, 2007
  19. Nighthawk

    spodosaurus Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/
    >>

    > I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them
    > in the oven then threw them out.
    >
    > I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    > defy moderate forensic reading.

    DVD shredder.

    Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus, Aug 1, 2007
  20. In article <f8os4u$1sf9$>, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >peterwn wrote:
    >> Nighthawk wrote:
    >>> Check out the YouTube video on http://www.k-probe.com/
    >>>

    >> I once had a heap of 3.5 floppies I wanted to obliterate. I baked them
    >> in the oven then threw them out.
    >>
    >> I still have not figured a way of easily obliterating CD's and DVD's to
    >> defy moderate forensic reading.

    >DVD shredder.

    Fire ? Really hard to recontruct data if the medium is now a crumbly pile
    of ashes. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 1, 2007