Microtek 5900 Scanner - user's experience

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by HBYardSale, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. HBYardSale

    HBYardSale Guest

    Microtek 5900 Scanner - user's experience

    For what it's worth, I just returned this scanner and will not ever buy another
    Microtek product -- not because of the product, but because of the lack of
    clear documentation. Lots of PDF files, but no "real" instructions or
    descriptions of the features for this one.

    I won't bash Microteck, since others have had good luck with their products,
    but if you do a quick search at google for my email address and microtek, you
    will see the difficulties I have had in setting up this scanner.

    I gave it a 40-day trial and finally gave up.

    For scanning black and white, garden variety work, it did an excellent job.
    Same for color prints. The scans actually looked better than the original
    prints to me.

    My problem was in scanning 4x5 negatives. I never could get a decent scan,
    following all of the instructions and the generous help from others answering
    my postings.

    The scanner got a good review at pcworld.com, and for the money and doing basic
    scanning, it did a fine job.

    But if you are looking for a scanner to scan B&W negatives (as used in offset
    printing) or color slides, I wish you better luck than I had.

    I will not buy any Microtek products again. Not because of the products, but
    because of the lack of clear instructions. Lots of PDF's but no "real" how-to
    instructions.

    No replies please. I have already returned the scanner.

    HBYardSale, Sep 5, 2003