Microsoft's Security Disclosures Come Under Fire

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1949279,00.asp

    "" Matthew Murphy, a security researcher who has worked closely with the
    MSRC (Microsoft Security Response Center) in the past, is accusing the
    software maker of "misleading" customers by not clearly spelling out
    exactly what is being patched in the MS06-015 bulletin released on April
    11. ""

    and

    "" You simply don't know what the patches are for. It's virtually
    impossible to make a determination about a deployment time frame if not
    deploying a patch has the potential to place you at an additional, unknown
    risk. As a result, administrators may deploy patches unnecessarily, erring
    on the side of caution (and risking compatibility problems in the
    process), or they may choose not to deploy based on incomplete
    information. Individuals making these kinds of decisions deserve better
    information," Murphy said. ""

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Joe Barr: "So the question is not 'Is Microsoft lying?' It's deeper than that.
    The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you decide -
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Andrew Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > "" Matthew Murphy, a security researcher who has worked closely with the
    > MSRC (Microsoft Security Response Center) in the past, is accusing the
    > software maker of "misleading" customers by not clearly spelling out
    > exactly what is being patched in the MS06-015 bulletin released on April
    > 11. ""
    >
    > and
    >
    > "" You simply don't know what the patches are for. It's virtually
    > impossible to make a determination about a deployment time frame if not
    > deploying a patch has the potential to place you at an additional, unknown
    > risk. As a result, administrators may deploy patches unnecessarily, erring
    > on the side of caution (and risking compatibility problems in the
    > process), or they may choose not to deploy based on incomplete
    > information. Individuals making these kinds of decisions deserve better
    > information," Murphy said. ""
    >
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Is it criminal?
    Andrew, Apr 14, 2006

  3. On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:10:02 +1200, Andrew wrote:

    > Is it criminal?

    Is what criminal?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 14, 2006