    makes it suitable for ISO approval. Durusau has called for standards
    advocates to "foster coevolution" between OOXML and ODF in order to
    encourage more interoperability."

    impossible, Apr 2, 2008

  2. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ce-open-xml-now-an-official-iso-standard.html
    >>
    >> "Although OOXML has many critics, it was also gained numerous supporters
    >> over the past year-including some who are directly affiliated with ODF.
    >> One of the most outspoken OOXML supporters from the ODF camp is Patrick
    >> Durusau, a coeditor of the ODF specification. Durusua characterizes OOXML
    >> as a "poster child for the open standards development process" and argues
    >> that ECMA has been instrumental in facilitating needed changes to an
    >> extent that makes it suitable for ISO approval. Durusau has called for
    >> standards advocates to "foster coevolution" between OOXML and ODF in
    >> order to encourage more interoperability."
    >>

    > I think Ars has it wrong....

    Has what wrong?

    impossible, Apr 2, 2008

  3. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 01:11:53 GMT, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message

    >>> I think Ars has it wrong....
    >>>

    >> Has what wrong?

    > ISO don't mention it on their website.
    > April fools joke?

    If you can't trust Andy Updegrove, who can you trust?

    http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080401033558908

    impossible, Apr 2, 2008
  4. impossible

    impossible Guest

    http://www.iso.org/iso/pressrelease.htm?refid=Ref1123

    impossible, Apr 2, 2008
  5. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Bret" <> wrote in message

    >>> ISO don't mention it on their website.
    >>> April fools joke?

    >> If you can't trust Andy Updegrove, who can you trust?
    >>
    >> http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080401033558908

    > My my the best that money can buy.....

    Indeed. But since so many ODF lobbyists here have approvingly cited
    Updegrove over the past 2 years, I thought his declaration of surrender
    would be considered more reliable.

    Anyway, you were saying Ars Technica got it wrong. How so?

    impossible, Apr 2, 2008
  6. impossible

    peterwn Guest

    On Apr 2, 1:03 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080401-microsofts-office-open-...
    >
    > "Although OOXML has many critics, it was also gained numerous supporters
    > over the past year-including some who are directly affiliated with ODF. One
    > of the most outspoken OOXML supporters from the ODF camp is Patrick Durusau,
    > a coeditor of the ODF specification. Durusua characterizes OOXML as a
    > "poster child for the open standards development process" and argues that
    > ECMA has been instrumental in facilitating needed changes to an extent that
    > makes it suitable for ISO approval. Durusau has called for standards
    > advocates to "foster coevolution" between OOXML and ODF in order to
    > encourage more interoperability."

    Seems that Durusua became a bit schizophrenic after being caught
    between a rock and a hard place. He cannot be blamed for this,
    Microsoft can dish out some pretty horrendous Mafia like punishments
    to those who upset it. The stockwhip shown in recent Microsoft ads is
    no joke. Durusa does not want it (figuratively) wrapped around his
    backside.

    Anyway I think Durusua appreciates in the back of his mind that OOXML
    is not going anywhere. There is utterly no need for ODF / OOXML
    interoperability, since no one will be implementing OOXML anyway.

    Anyway, at the end of the day it seems that Microsoft is likely to be
    hoist by its own petard in its push to have OOXML adopted as a
    Standard.

    See:
    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/DFE3C11047741AFACC25741F003379BD

    "Microsoft's ISO win may worsen antitrust woes"
    "Claims of foul play in the voting process may come back to haunt the
    software giant"

    peterwn, Apr 3, 2008