Microsoft's new, free, antivirus - Security Essentials..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Oct 14, 2009.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

    I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* - and
    it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they used to
    run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista Business OS
    PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load - the mouse
    moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start button and
    taskbar is unusable.

    On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.

    Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1

    What do others think?

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 14, 2009

  2. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >
    > I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* -
    > and it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they
    > used to run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista
    > Business OS PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load -
    > the mouse moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start
    > button and taskbar is unusable.
    >
    > On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    > 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.
    >
    > Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1
    >
    > What do others think?

    I think that I'm glad I waited.

    Thanks for the spot report, you've saved me some time. I was going to image
    a couple machines HDDs and then install it.

    I think I'll stick with my mix of AVG and Avast! for now.

    Thanks again.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2009

  3. Dave Doe

    Mutlley Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >>
    >> I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* -
    >> and it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they
    >> used to run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista
    >> Business OS PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load -
    >> the mouse moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start
    >> button and taskbar is unusable.
    >>
    >> On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    >> 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.
    >>
    >> Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1
    >>
    >> What do others think?

    >I think that I'm glad I waited.
    >
    >Thanks for the spot report, you've saved me some time. I was going to image
    >a couple machines HDDs and then install it.
    >
    >I think I'll stick with my mix of AVG and Avast! for now.
    >
    >Thanks again.

    I put it on a old P4 2000 with 1.25 gig of RAM the other week and
    didn't notice any slowdown at all..

    Mutlley, Oct 15, 2009
  4. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mutlley wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >>>
    >>> I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* -
    >>> and it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they
    >>> used to run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista
    >>> Business OS PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load
    >>> - the mouse moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the
    >>> Start button and taskbar is unusable.
    >>>
    >>> On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    >>> 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.
    >>>
    >>> Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1
    >>>
    >>> What do others think?

    >> I think that I'm glad I waited.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the spot report, you've saved me some time. I was going
    >> to image a couple machines HDDs and then install it.
    >>
    >> I think I'll stick with my mix of AVG and Avast! for now.
    >>
    >> Thanks again.

    > I put it on a old P4 2000 with 1.25 gig of RAM the other week and
    > didn't notice any slowdown at all..

    Hmmm, OK. Thanks. <scratches head>
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 15, 2009
  5. Dave Doe

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:47:38 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >
    >I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* - and
    >it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they used to
    >run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista Business OS
    >PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load - the mouse
    >moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start button and
    >taskbar is unusable.
    >
    >On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    >1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.
    >
    >Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1
    >
    >What do others think?

    No its MS bloated software slows any thing down.

    Mary Hanna, Oct 15, 2009
  6. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <4ad6a34f$>, says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    > >
    > > I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* - and
    > > it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they used to
    > > run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista Business OS
    > > PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load - the mouse
    > > moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start button and
    > > taskbar is unusable.
    > >
    > > On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    > > 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.
    > >
    > > Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1
    > >
    > > What do others think?
    > >

    > And you think that's normal? For a sidebar to take two minutes?

    No, I don't. Before SE, the sidebar loads maybe 10 seconds post logon
    (I'll double-check that though). But after SE was installed (nice
    install, BTW - and uninstall :) - the sidebar took about two minutes to
    load up, and all the while, the taskbar was unusable, the tooltray icons
    also didn't work, no wireless connection showing. Once 'up'; Office
    apps; more than twice as long to load, eg Outlook 2,3,4 seconds - as
    oppossed to 8,9,10 or more seconds.

    Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz 3MB Cache 1066FSB - 45nm 65W
    Asus P5E-VM motherboard with Intel G35 chipset
    3GB DDR2 800MHz Memory (1x 2GB + 1x 1GB)
    MS Win Vista Business 32bit SP1 + Win7 Upgrade

    > Runs perfectly fine on my work pc with zero slowdown by the way.

    Good to know, perhaps I've just been unlucky. I'll try it out on some
    other old PC's and see how it goes. And I have some different new ones
    to test on in a couple of weeks - I'll um... give it a go (still not
    that confident :) "It's Microsoft V1.0... 1.0... 1.0..." :)

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 15, 2009
  7. Dave Doe

    Carnations Guest

    On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:47:38 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >
    > I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* - and
    > it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they used to
    > run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista Business OS
    > PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load - the mouse
    > moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start button and
    > taskbar is unusable.
    >
    > On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    > 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.
    >
    > Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1
    >
    > What do others think?

    I think that I don't understand why you're buying a flawed Microsoft product that needs another
    Microsoft product to make it somewhat safe to connect to the Internet - especially when both Microsoft
    products are so poorly designed and such resource hogs and don't guarantee you safety from the
    many viruses that specifically target Microsoft software!

    Carnations, Oct 15, 2009
  8. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Oct 16, 12:35 am, Carnations <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:47:38 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

    > > I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* - and
    > > it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they used to
    > > run at.  And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista Business OS
    > > PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load - the mouse
    > > moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start button and
    > > taskbar is unusable.

    > > On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    > > 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.

    > > Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1

    > > What do others think?

    > I think that I don't understand why you're buying a flawed Microsoft product that needs another
    > Microsoft product to make it somewhat safe to connect to the Internet - especially when both Microsoft
    > products are so poorly designed and such resource hogs and don't guarantee you safety from the
    > many viruses that specifically target Microsoft software!
    >
    > --
    > "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

    I installed MSE to take a look. The whole installation process took
    very little time (including updating the virus definitions) and it
    seems to have no noticeable effect on the system - starting up or
    otherwise.

    AGV is now removed.

    JohnO, Oct 15, 2009
  9. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Oct 16, 12:35 am, Carnations <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:47:38 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

    >>> I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's*
    >>> - and it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed
    >>> they used to run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista
    >>> Business OS PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load
    >>> - the mouse moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the
    >>> Start button and taskbar is unusable.

    >>> On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    >>> 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.

    >>> Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1

    >>> What do others think?

    >> I think that I don't understand why you're buying a flawed Microsoft
    >> product that needs another Microsoft product to make it somewhat
    >> safe to connect to the Internet - especially when both Microsoft
    >> products are so poorly designed and such resource hogs and don't
    >> guarantee you safety from the
    >> many viruses that specifically target Microsoft software!
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

    > I installed MSE to take a look. The whole installation process took
    > very little time (including updating the virus definitions) and it
    > seems to have no noticeable effect on the system - starting up or
    > otherwise.
    >
    > AGV is now removed.

    Thanks. I think on the strength of that I'll image the boot partition of my
    T60, dump Avast! and give it a whirl.

    Oh, wait... What spec machine JohnO? At least one of Dave's problematic
    install/s was on a machine a lot faster than this lappy.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 15, 2009
  10. Dave Doe

    PeeCee Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >
    > I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* - and
    > it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they used to
    > run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista Business OS
    > PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load - the mouse
    > moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start button and
    > taskbar is unusable.
    >
    > On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    > 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.
    >
    > Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1
    >
    > What do others think?
    >
    > --
    > Duncan.

    Put it on 3 PC's so far

    1 Vista U, Athlon7750 4 GB etc, replaced AVG 8.5, no noticeable difference
    2 Win XP, Pentium 4 2.8, 512MB, replaced AVG 8.5, no noticeable difference.
    3 Win XP, Celeron 2.8, 256MB/1.2GB, replaced AVG 7.5, no noticeable
    difference in speed, problems with MSE startin up with 256MB.

    The last one was a classic example of how the amount of RAM makes a 'HUGE'
    difference to the way XP SP3 starts & runs.
    With 256MB of RAM it was taking over 8 minutes to get to a useable PC (all
    hard drive activity stopped)
    With 1256MB (1.2GB) it took 3:30 to reach the same state.
    With 256MB playing Spider Solitaire was stuttery when running an AV scan,
    with 1.2GB it was a smooth as.

    FWIW
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 15, 2009
  11. Dave Doe

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:13:11 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <> wrote:

    >On Oct 16, 12:35 am, Carnations <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:47:38 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >> >http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

    >> > I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* - and
    >> > it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they used to
    >> > run at.  And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista Business OS
    >> > PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load - the mouse
    >> > moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start button and
    >> > taskbar is unusable.

    >> > On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    >> > 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.

    >> > Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1

    >> > What do others think?

    >> I think that I don't understand why you're buying a flawed Microsoft product that needs another
    >> Microsoft product to make it somewhat safe to connect to the Internet - especially when both Microsoft
    >> products are so poorly designed and such resource hogs and don't guarantee you safety from the
    >> many viruses that specifically target Microsoft software!
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

    >I installed MSE to take a look. The whole installation process took
    >very little time (including updating the virus definitions) and it
    >seems to have no noticeable effect on the system - starting up or
    >otherwise.
    >
    >AGV is now removed.

    Any thing is better that AVG but Avast I found is totally crap.

    From what I have read that MSE is developed by Kaspersky or was involved in
    it.

    Avast report to my false positives and totally stuffs up dnloads.

    If it thinks that a Dnload has a virus in it kills the Dnload plus all other
    down loads at the time, No option to skip the invalid flag, as turning off
    Avast and running Kaspersky does not report any virus.

    Mary Hanna, Oct 15, 2009
  12. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ede0ab54-2773-43bd-8d25-
    >, says...
    > On Oct 16, 12:35 am, Carnations <> wrote:
    > > On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:47:38 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    > > >http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

    > > > I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* - and
    > > > it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they used to
    > > > run at.  And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista Business OS
    > > > PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load - the mouse
    > > > moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start button and
    > > > taskbar is unusable.

    > > > On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    > > > 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.

    > > > Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1

    > > > What do others think?

    > > I think that I don't understand why you're buying a flawed Microsoft product that needs another
    > > Microsoft product to make it somewhat safe to connect to the Internet - especially when both Microsoft
    > > products are so poorly designed and such resource hogs and don't guarantee you safety from the
    > > many viruses that specifically target Microsoft software!
    > >
    > > --
    > > "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

    > I installed MSE to take a look. The whole installation process took
    > very little time (including updating the virus definitions) and it
    > seems to have no noticeable effect on the system - starting up or
    > otherwise.
    >
    > AGV is now removed.

    I thought the same, until after a couple of days of shutdown and
    startups.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 15, 2009
  13. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hb84n8$jd9$-september.org>,
    says...
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    > >> I think that I don't understand why you're buying a flawed Microsoft
    > >> product that needs another Microsoft product to make it somewhat
    > >> safe to connect to the Internet - especially when both Microsoft
    > >> products are so poorly designed and such resource hogs and don't
    > >> guarantee you safety from the
    > >> many viruses that specifically target Microsoft software!
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

    > > I installed MSE to take a look. The whole installation process took
    > > very little time (including updating the virus definitions) and it
    > > seems to have no noticeable effect on the system - starting up or
    > > otherwise.
    > >
    > > AGV is now removed.

    > Thanks. I think on the strength of that I'll image the boot partition of my
    > T60, dump Avast! and give it a whirl.
    >
    > Oh, wait... What spec machine JohnO? At least one of Dave's problematic
    > install/s was on a machine a lot faster than this lappy.

    If you have the spare time, please do try it out - will take a couple of
    reboots (one to get rid of Avast) - and another, if you find the
    experience has been like mine, to put Avast back on :)

    And how come...
    Is there *any* 3rd party antivirus app that does *not* require a reboot
    of Windows? (presuming default install (realtime scanning installed)).

    How come Security Essentials doesn't?

    Reminds me of the ol'd DOS days, when MS was found to be using
    undocumented functions in *their* apps - that no one else had privvy to.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 15, 2009
  14. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hb85bn$bmr$>, says...
    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    > >
    > > I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* - and
    > > it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they used to
    > > run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista Business OS
    > > PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load - the mouse
    > > moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start button and
    > > taskbar is unusable.
    > >
    > > On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    > > 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.
    > >
    > > Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1
    > >
    > > What do others think?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan.

    > Put it on 3 PC's so far
    >
    > 1 Vista U, Athlon7750 4 GB etc, replaced AVG 8.5, no noticeable difference
    > 2 Win XP, Pentium 4 2.8, 512MB, replaced AVG 8.5, no noticeable difference.
    > 3 Win XP, Celeron 2.8, 256MB/1.2GB, replaced AVG 7.5, no noticeable
    > difference in speed, problems with MSE startin up with 256MB.
    >
    > The last one was a classic example of how the amount of RAM makes a 'HUGE'
    > difference to the way XP SP3 starts & runs.
    > With 256MB of RAM it was taking over 8 minutes to get to a useable PC (all
    > hard drive activity stopped)
    > With 1256MB (1.2GB) it took 3:30 to reach the same state.
    > With 256MB playing Spider Solitaire was stuttery when running an AV scan,
    > with 1.2GB it was a smooth as.

    Thanks for the feedback Paul - I'll be trying it on some other new PC's
    next week - and some old ones too (the ones they're replacing).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 15, 2009
  15. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <hb84n8$jd9$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    >>> I installed MSE to take a look. The whole installation process took
    >>> very little time (including updating the virus definitions) and it
    >>> seems to have no noticeable effect on the system - starting up or
    >>> otherwise.
    >>>
    >>> AGV is now removed.

    >> Thanks. I think on the strength of that I'll image the boot
    >> partition of my T60, dump Avast! and give it a whirl.
    >>
    >> Oh, wait... What spec machine JohnO? At least one of Dave's
    >> problematic install/s was on a machine a lot faster than this lappy.

    > If you have the spare time, please do try it out - will take a couple
    > of reboots (one to get rid of Avast) - and another, if you find the
    > experience has been like mine, to put Avast back on :)

    Hehee! You've got me reconsidering now. The T60's running just fine with
    Avast!, I might just leave well-enough alone for now, wait for 1.10... How
    much RAM in that machine? This has the max it'll support, 3GB (and pagefile
    disabled even though it has a 7200rpm HDD).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 16, 2009
  16. Dave Doe

    PeeCee Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <hb85bn$bmr$>, says...
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >> >
    >> > I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* -
    >> > and
    >> > it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they used to
    >> > run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista Business OS
    >> > PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load - the mouse
    >> > moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start button and
    >> > taskbar is unusable.
    >> >
    >> > On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    >> > 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.
    >> >
    >> > Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1
    >> >
    >> > What do others think?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Duncan.

    >> Put it on 3 PC's so far
    >>
    >> 1 Vista U, Athlon7750 4 GB etc, replaced AVG 8.5, no noticeable
    >> difference
    >> 2 Win XP, Pentium 4 2.8, 512MB, replaced AVG 8.5, no noticeable
    >> difference.
    >> 3 Win XP, Celeron 2.8, 256MB/1.2GB, replaced AVG 7.5, no noticeable
    >> difference in speed, problems with MSE startin up with 256MB.
    >>
    >> The last one was a classic example of how the amount of RAM makes a
    >> 'HUGE'
    >> difference to the way XP SP3 starts & runs.
    >> With 256MB of RAM it was taking over 8 minutes to get to a useable PC
    >> (all
    >> hard drive activity stopped)
    >> With 1256MB (1.2GB) it took 3:30 to reach the same state.
    >> With 256MB playing Spider Solitaire was stuttery when running an AV scan,
    >> with 1.2GB it was a smooth as.

    > Thanks for the feedback Paul - I'll be trying it on some other new PC's
    > next week - and some old ones too (the ones they're replacing).
    >
    > --
    > Duncan.

    Duncan

    Another characteristic of MSE I found I like today.
    As a Tech (?) I have to actively disable most AV products when 'fixing' a PC
    with some of my er 'Tools'
    For example RockXP just gets binned outright.
    MSE on the other hand still discovers them but has the politeness to 'ask'
    what to do (Delete, Quarantine, Allow)
    That, I like.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 16, 2009
  17. Dave Doe

    PeeCee Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <hb85bn$bmr$>, says...
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    >> >
    >> > I have installed MS's Security Essentials on some *brand new PC's* -
    >> > and
    >> > it's slowed them down immensely! Less than half the speed they used to
    >> > run at. And the post logon delay is amazing (all Vista Business OS
    >> > PC's) - takes about two minutes for the sidebar to load - the mouse
    >> > moves, icons on the desktop are selectable, but the Start button and
    >> > taskbar is unusable.
    >> >
    >> > On older PC's - I have tested just one PC - a four year old PC - AMD
    >> > 1800 - diabolical and unusable to say the least.
    >> >
    >> > Like most new Microsoft products - I'd wait for V1.1
    >> >
    >> > What do others think?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Duncan.

    >> Put it on 3 PC's so far
    >>
    >> 1 Vista U, Athlon7750 4 GB etc, replaced AVG 8.5, no noticeable
    >> difference
    >> 2 Win XP, Pentium 4 2.8, 512MB, replaced AVG 8.5, no noticeable
    >> difference.
    >> 3 Win XP, Celeron 2.8, 256MB/1.2GB, replaced AVG 7.5, no noticeable
    >> difference in speed, problems with MSE startin up with 256MB.
    >>
    >> The last one was a classic example of how the amount of RAM makes a
    >> 'HUGE'
    >> difference to the way XP SP3 starts & runs.
    >> With 256MB of RAM it was taking over 8 minutes to get to a useable PC
    >> (all
    >> hard drive activity stopped)
    >> With 1256MB (1.2GB) it took 3:30 to reach the same state.
    >> With 256MB playing Spider Solitaire was stuttery when running an AV scan,
    >> with 1.2GB it was a smooth as.

    > Thanks for the feedback Paul - I'll be trying it on some other new PC's
    > next week - and some old ones too (the ones they're replacing).
    >
    > --
    > Duncan.

    Duncan

    Few more days of use and I've noticed MSE has issues with low RAM PC's
    I've done a couple of 256MB machines lately, and MSE is prone to display a
    Red system tray logo for quite a while after the PC has apparently finished
    booting.
    The problem goes away even with only another 128MB (384MB in total) but go
    back to 256MB and the system tray icon stays red for ages after system boot
    up.

    Best
    Paul

    PeeCee, Oct 19, 2009
  18. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Oct 16, 10:37 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    > >> I think that I don't understand why you're buying a flawed Microsoft
    > >> product that needs another Microsoft product to make it somewhat
    > >> safe to connect to the Internet - especially when both Microsoft
    > >> products are so poorly designed and such resource hogs and don't
    > >> guarantee you safety from the
    > >> many viruses that specifically target Microsoft software!

    > >> --
    > >> "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

    > > I installed MSE to take a look. The whole installation process took
    > > very little time (including updating the virus definitions) and it
    > > seems to have no noticeable effect on the system - starting up or
    > > otherwise.

    > > AGV is now removed.

    > Thanks. I think on the strength of that I'll image the boot partition of my
    > T60, dump Avast! and give it a whirl.
    >
    > Oh, wait... What spec machine JohnO? At least one of Dave's problematic
    > install/s was on a machine a lot faster than this lappy.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
    > warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

    It's a Dell desktop Core2Duo 2.0GHz and 4.0Gb RAM.

    Cheers
    JohnO

    JohnO, Oct 19, 2009
  19. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Oct 16, 10:37 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    [snipped]
    >>> I installed MSE to take a look. The whole installation process took
    >>> very little time (including updating the virus definitions) and it
    >>> seems to have no noticeable effect on the system - starting up or
    >>> otherwise.

    >>> AGV is now removed.

    >> Thanks. I think on the strength of that I'll image the boot
    >> partition of my T60, dump Avast! and give it a whirl.
    >>
    >> Oh, wait... What spec machine JohnO? At least one of Dave's
    >> problematic install/s was on a machine a lot faster than this lappy.

    > It's a Dell desktop Core2Duo 2.0GHz and 4.0Gb RAM.

    Thanks for that JohnO. As you may see, I started another thread giving the
    results of the two machines I've installed it on so far. All good, although
    I note Paul's comments about low RAM machines. Not that I have any of those
    myself. I believe in putting as much RAM in a machine as I can afford, even
    if it means having a couple weeks where I don't have much to eat except
    noodles. <g>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 19, 2009
  20. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Oct 19, 6:16 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 16, 10:37 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    > [snipped]

    > >> Thanks. I think on the strength of that I'll image the boot
    > >> partition of my T60, dump Avast! and give it a whirl.

    > >> Oh, wait... What spec machine JohnO? At least one of Dave's
    > >> problematic install/s was on a machine a lot faster than this lappy.

    > > It's a Dell desktop Core2Duo 2.0GHz and 4.0Gb RAM.

    > Thanks for that JohnO. As you may see, I started another thread giving the
    > results of the two machines I've installed it on so far. All good, although
    > I note Paul's comments about low RAM machines. Not that I have any of those
    > myself. I believe in putting as much RAM in a machine as I can afford, even
    > if it means having a couple weeks where I don't have much to eat except
    > noodles. <g>
    >
    > Cheers,

    Just as well RAM is getting cheap.

    Cheap as chips. Arf!