Microsoft's 'Men in Black' kill Florida open standards legislation

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Tuesday April 17, 2007 (01:01 PM GMT)

    By: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller & others*

    It was just a bit of text advocating open data formats that was slipped into
    a Florida State Senate bill at the last minute with no fanfare, but within
    24 hours three Microsoft-paid lobbyists, all wearing black suits, were
    pressuring members of the Senate Committee on Governmental Operations
    (COGO) to remove the words they didn't like from Senate bill 1974.

    http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/16/2019244&from=rss

    http://rixstep.com/1/20040719,00.shtml
    http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/
    Au79, Apr 18, 2007

  2. Au79

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Au79" <> wrote in message
    news:cceVh.520397$...
    > Tuesday April 17, 2007 (01:01 PM GMT)
    >
    > By: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller & others*
    >
    > It was just a bit of text advocating open data formats that was

    slipped into
    > a Florida State Senate bill at the last minute with no fanfare, but

    within
    > 24 hours three Microsoft-paid lobbyists, all wearing black suits, were
    > pressuring members of the Senate Committee on Governmental Operations
    > (COGO) to remove the words they didn't like from Senate bill 1974.
    >
    > http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/16/2019244&from=rss

    I thought the "Men in Black" had something to do with extraterrestrials.
    NTYMI, Gates does look kinda funny.
    DemoDisk, Apr 18, 2007

  3. Au79

    ellis_jay Guest

    Au79 wrote:
    > Tuesday April 17, 2007 (01:01 PM GMT)
    >
    > By: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller & others*
    >
    > It was just a bit of text advocating open data formats that was
    > slipped into a Florida State Senate bill at the last minute with no
    > fanfare, but within 24 hours three Microsoft-paid lobbyists, all
    > wearing black suits, were pressuring members of the Senate Committee
    > on Governmental Operations (COGO) to remove the words they didn't
    > like from Senate bill 1974.
    >
    > http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/16/2019244&from=rss

    I recently returned from a Florida business trip. While there, we had to
    re-configure a desk in order to re-route the wire management system for
    phones and computers. We did this at the request of the County School
    Superintendent. Our insurance requires us to not move or disturb any school
    equipment that is not our product. Therefore we had to have on site the
    County computer guy from the school board to move wires and move PC's around
    and so on. I got to talking with him and I asked how he liked the new MS
    Vista. He trashed it and told me it would be at least a year or longer
    before the County would make the move to Vista-or maybe not .

    The field experiences of Vista in the wild are not a good sign for Bill
    Gates. I think MS has gone down the road as far as possible and now it is
    just bloat that adds bells and whistles -and is growing laterally instead of
    advancing up the scale of innovation. It is time that MS understand that,
    accepted it and step aside. MS needs a new direction, new management and
    new ideas-not ideas of keeping the herd in a bloated and dressed up OS.

    --
    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Apr 18, 2007
  4. ellis_jay wrote:

    > The field experiences of Vista in the wild are not a good sign for Bill
    > Gates. I think MS has gone down the road as far as possible and now it is
    > just bloat that adds bells and whistles -and is growing laterally instead of
    > advancing up the scale of innovation. It is time that MS understand that,
    > accepted it and step aside. MS needs a new direction, new management and
    > new ideas-not ideas of keeping the herd in a bloated and dressed up OS.

    In a way, Gates has already acknowledged that. He's already said that
    the future of Microsoft isn't in putting software in a box to sell, but
    to developing online applications that you have to pay a monthly rental
    fee to access. If he has his way, your computer won't work at all until
    you send him some money each month. Best of luck to him.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 19, 2007
  5. Au79

    phrogee Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > ellis_jay wrote:
    >
    >> The field experiences of Vista in the wild are not a good sign for Bill
    >> Gates. I think MS has gone down the road as far as possible and now it
    >> is
    >> just bloat that adds bells and whistles -and is growing laterally instead
    >> of
    >> advancing up the scale of innovation. It is time that MS understand
    >> that,
    >> accepted it and step aside. MS needs a new direction, new management
    >> and
    >> new ideas-not ideas of keeping the herd in a bloated and dressed up OS.

    > In a way, Gates has already acknowledged that. He's already said that the
    > future of Microsoft isn't in putting software in a box to sell, but to
    > developing online applications that you have to pay a monthly rental fee
    > to access. If he has his way, your computer won't work at all until you
    > send him some money each month. Best of luck to him.

    And Macintosh acknowledges their future lies in music, not computers. iPods
    and such.
    phrogee, Apr 19, 2007