    "This is certainly a milestone in the Internet browser wars," commented
    Aodhan Cullen, CEO, StatCounter. "Just two years ago IE dominated the
    worldwide market with 67%."

    Sweetpea, Oct 10, 2010

  2. Sweetpea

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser falls below 50% of worldwide market for first time

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser falls below 50% of worldwide market
    > for first time
    >
    > http://gs.statcounter.com/press/microsoft-internet-explorer-browser-falls-
    > below-50-perc-of-worldwide-market-for-first-time
    >
    > "This is certainly a milestone in the Internet browser wars," commented
    > Aodhan Cullen, CEO, StatCounter. "Just two years ago IE dominated the
    > worldwide market with 67%."

    I don't see how that's a milestone? Do you? Is there another browser
    that has a greater percentage than 50%? If so, that's a milestone!

    Let's compare apples with apples, not apples with percentages. It's
    meaningless.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 10, 2010

  3. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 02:28:27 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > Let's compare apples with apples, not apples with percentages. It's
    > meaningless.

    Yeah - the browser "market" has gone from being utterly dominated by one
    non-standard browser to now having more than 50% of that "market" filled
    by other browsers (in Europe being about 60%) - and with that percentage
    increasing.

    Sweetpea, Oct 10, 2010
  4. Sweetpea

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser falls below 50% of worldwide market for first time

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 02:28:27 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > Let's compare apples with apples, not apples with percentages. It's
    > > meaningless.

    > Yeah - the browser "market" has gone from being utterly dominated by one
    > non-standard browser to now having more than 50% of that "market" filled
    > by other browsers (in Europe being about 60%) - and with that percentage
    > increasing.

    That would be true if there was only one other browser. If there were
    say 2 and they equally shared 25%, then it would be false. If there
    were more, then so on.

    ie, 50% (or even quite a lot less) is still utter domination - if four
    or five other browsers make up the other 50%. But if just *one* of
    those other browsers has most of that 50%, then it's a different story.

    Why not provide all the figures? What are they? Let's see it.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 11, 2010
  5. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:56:50 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > ie, 50% (or even quite a lot less) is still utter domination

    Nope.

    Just the browser with the largest percentage. Not utter domination.

    Sweetpea, Oct 11, 2010
  6. Sweetpea

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser falls below 50% of worldwide market for first time

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:56:50 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > ie, 50% (or even quite a lot less) is still utter domination

    > Nope.
    >
    > Just the browser with the largest percentage. Not utter domination.

    I'm afraid it is - from the stats just posted here, the next closest
    browser if Firefox at 30% or 31% - let's call it 30.5% :) That's over
    1.6 times it's closest competitor.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Oct 12, 2010
  7. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:07:25 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    >> > ie, 50% (or even quite a lot less) is still utter domination

    >> Nope.
    >>
    >> Just the browser with the largest percentage. Not utter domination.

    > I'm afraid it is - from the stats just posted here, the next closest
    > browser if Firefox at 30% or 31% - let's call it 30.5% :) That's over
    > 1.6 times it's closest competitor.

    But it's not 90% (which to me is a percentage that represents utter
    domination of a "market"), and it's percentage continues to decline. It's
    currently about 40% in Europe!

    Sweetpea, Oct 12, 2010