    show how innovative we are.

    It all came over as rather offensive, really.

    Peter

    Peter, Nov 27, 2006

  2. Peter

    whome Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    news:ekfa0g$p4n$...

    > The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
    > manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow
    > take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
    > really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get
    > by
    > without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
    > shows how inventive and innovative we are.
    > It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista
    > show how innovative we are.
    >
    > It all came over as rather offensive, really.
    >

    > Peter

    Well, of course he is quite correct except the way he arrives at his
    conclusion is wrong.

    NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look at
    our poor online banking offerings.

    We used to laugh at the UK for how backward they are - oh how times have
    changed.

    NZ is a land of house buyers. We leave the innovation mostly up to other
    countries.

    whome, Nov 27, 2006

  3. Peter

    Shane Guest

    whome wrote:

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
    >> manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow
    >> take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
    >> really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get
    >> by
    >> without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
    >> shows how inventive and innovative we are.
    >> It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista
    >> show how innovative we are.
    >>
    >> It all came over as rather offensive, really.
    >>

    >> Peter
    >>

    > Well, of course he is quite correct except the way he arrives at his
    > conclusion is wrong.
    >
    > NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look at
    > our poor online banking offerings.
    >
    > We used to laugh at the UK for how backward they are - oh how times have
    > changed.
    >
    > NZ is a land of house buyers. We leave the innovation mostly up to other
    > countries.

    At one point NZ had the highest penetration of cell phones per capita on the
    planet (im not sure if that still holds)
    When NZers do take up a new technology, they jump in with both feet, when
    they dont, they stay away in droves

    --
    Umbriel: You have sea lions on land?
    Fry: Yep, we call them land-sea lions. I train them.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Nov 27, 2006
  4. Peter

    whome Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > whome wrote:
    >

    >> "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a
    >>> Microsoft
    >>> manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow
    >>> take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
    >>> really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get
    >>> by
    >>> without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us
    >>> to,
    >>> shows how inventive and innovative we are.
    >>> It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista
    >>> show how innovative we are.
    >>>
    >>> It all came over as rather offensive, really.
    >>>

    >>> Peter
    >>>

    >> Well, of course he is quite correct except the way he arrives at his
    >> conclusion is wrong.
    >>
    >> NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look
    >> at
    >> our poor online banking offerings.
    >>
    >> We used to laugh at the UK for how backward they are - oh how times have
    >> changed.
    >>
    >> NZ is a land of house buyers. We leave the innovation mostly up to other
    >> countries.

    > At one point NZ had the highest penetration of cell phones per capita on
    > the
    > planet (im not sure if that still holds)
    > When NZers do take up a new technology, they jump in with both feet, when
    > they dont, they stay away in droves
    >

    > --
    > Umbriel: You have sea lions on land?
    > Fry: Yep, we call them land-sea lions. I train them.
    >
    > blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    I thought finland had that record now. Finland were one the first to
    target childrens sales when their adult market became saturated.

    Anyway, having the most number of cellphones is not a sign of innovation.
    The innovation took place 15 years ago.

    whome, Nov 27, 2006
  5. Peter

    Shane Guest

    whome wrote:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> whome wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Peter" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well, of course he is quite correct except the way he arrives at his
    >>> conclusion is wrong.
    >>>
    >>> NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look
    >>> at
    >>> our poor online banking offerings.
    >>>
    >>> We used to laugh at the UK for how backward they are - oh how times have
    >>> changed.
    >>>
    >>> NZ is a land of house buyers. We leave the innovation mostly up to other
    >>> countries.

    >> At one point NZ had the highest penetration of cell phones per capita on
    >> the
    >> planet (im not sure if that still holds)
    >> When NZers do take up a new technology, they jump in with both feet, when
    >> they dont, they stay away in droves
    >>

    >> --
    >> Umbriel: You have sea lions on land?
    >> Fry: Yep, we call them land-sea lions. I train them.
    >>
    >> blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    >>

    > I thought finland had that record now. Finland were one the first to
    > target childrens sales when their adult market became saturated.
    >
    > Anyway, having the most number of cellphones is not a sign of innovation.
    > The innovation took place 15 years ago.

    Right, how do you define innovation then, recalling that the post of yours
    that I responded to decried innovation in NZ because of the lack of sales
    Microsoft is experiencing with its product
    Or did your reply to the OP have nothing to do with his post?

    --
    Hyperchicken: Son, as your lawyer, I declare y'all are in a 12-piece bucket
    o' trouble. But I done struck you a deal: Five hours of community service

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Nov 27, 2006
  6. Peter

    > whome wrote:
    >

    >> "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    >>> At one point NZ had the highest penetration of cell phones per capita on
    >>> the
    >>> planet (im not sure if that still holds)
    >>> When NZers do take up a new technology, they jump in with both feet,
    >>> when
    >>> they dont, they stay away in droves
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Umbriel: You have sea lions on land?
    >>> Fry: Yep, we call them land-sea lions. I train them.
    >>>
    >>> blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    >>>

    >> I thought finland had that record now. Finland were one the first to
    >> target childrens sales when their adult market became saturated.
    >>
    >> Anyway, having the most number of cellphones is not a sign of innovation.
    >> The innovation took place 15 years ago.

    > Right, how do you define innovation then, recalling that the post of yours
    > that I responded to decried innovation in NZ because of the lack of sales
    > Microsoft is experiencing with its product
    > Or did your reply to the OP have nothing to do with his post?
    >

    > --
    > Hyperchicken: Son, as your lawyer, I declare y'all are in a 12-piece
    > bucket
    > o' trouble. But I done struck you a deal: Five hours of community service
    > cleanin' up that ol' mess you caused.
    > Bender: Five hours? Aw, man! Couldn't you just got me the death penalty?
    >
    > blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    My reply has everything to do with the OP post. If you can't see that, I am
    not going to explain to you.

    whome, Nov 27, 2006
  7. Peter

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > At one point NZ had the highest penetration of cell phones per capita on the
    > planet (im not sure if that still holds)

    Yeah, I remember reading of a few University party stunts that went
    horribly wrong.... requiring a rather embarrassing trip to the A&E ward,
    and painful extraction. :)

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey

    Mark Remfrey, Nov 27, 2006
  8. Peter

    Earl Grey Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
    > manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow to
    > take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
    > really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get by
    > without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
    > shows how inventive and innovative we are.
    > It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista to
    > show how innovative we are.
    >
    > It all came over as rather offensive, really.
    >

    > Peter

    surprise surprise

    Low demand for Microsoft product would indicate a lack of innovation on
    their part to any other observer.

    Earl Grey, Nov 27, 2006
  9. Peter

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <>,
    "whome" <> wrote:

    > Well, of course he is quite correct except the way he arrives at his
    > conclusion is wrong.
    >
    > NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look at
    > our poor online banking offerings.
    >
    > We used to laugh at the UK for how backward they are - oh how times have
    > changed.
    >
    > NZ is a land of house buyers. We leave the innovation mostly up to other
    > countries.

    Yep, that because the government could find billions for a waterfront
    stadium but nothing extra to fund science, health, education

    Who Am I, Nov 27, 2006
  10. Peter

    thingy Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
    > manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow to
    > take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
    > really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get by
    > without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
    > shows how inventive and innovative we are.
    > It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista to
    > show how innovative we are.
    >
    > It all came over as rather offensive, really.
    >

    > Peter

    par for the course, it is not that long ago that some second rate MS
    lapdog here in NZ was whining that CIOs in NZ were behind the times and
    needed a wake up..........so lets see, bitch slap the heads of various
    IT depts around town (you know the ones who determine what to buy) and
    hope they are kowtowed into buying even more MS products as a
    result........not.......she must live in a weird world.....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 27, 2006
  11. Peter

    Mutlley Guest

    Peter <> wrote:

    >The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
    >manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow to
    >take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
    >really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get by
    >without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
    >shows how inventive and innovative we are.
    >It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista to
    >show how innovative we are.
    >
    >It all came over as rather offensive, really.
    >

    >Peter

    I'[m surprised that he didn't say the slow uptake was the result of
    piracy. That's the M$ line.

    Mutlley, Nov 28, 2006
  12. Peter

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > Peter <> wrote:
    >

    >>The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
    >>manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow
    >>take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
    >>really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get
    >>by
    >>without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
    >>shows how inventive and innovative we are.
    >>It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista
    >>show how innovative we are.
    >>
    >>It all came over as rather offensive, really.
    >>

    >>Peter
    >>

    > I'[m surprised that he didn't say the slow uptake was the result of
    > piracy. That's the M$ line.

    Yeah, there's a lot of people who have found some very 'innovative' ways to
    install their software. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Nov 28, 2006
  13. Peter

    Vista Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message

    > The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
    > manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow
    > take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
    > really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get
    > by
    > without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
    > shows how inventive and innovative we are.
    > It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista
    > show how innovative we are.
    >
    > It all came over as rather offensive, really.
    >

    > Peter

    Is that the same microsoft woman that is on NewstalkZB. She didn't seem to
    know much about the product at all and couldn't answer any technical
    questions. She sounded just like a typical sales person and also sounded
    quite arrogant.

    Vista, Nov 28, 2006
  14. Peter

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-11-27, whome <> wrote:

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message

    >> without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
    >> shows how inventive and innovative we are.
    >> It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista
    >> show how innovative we are.

    1>>
    >> It all came over as rather offensive, really.

    > Well, of course he is quite correct except the way he arrives at his
    > conclusion is wrong.
    >
    > NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look at
    > our poor online banking offerings.

    That's all been done before, doing it again would not be innovative.

    Refrigerated Freight, Richard Pierce, Hamilton jet, A.J. Hackett, Jade

    And that's just the south island.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Nov 28, 2006
  15. On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 07:19:57 +1300, whome wrote:

    > NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look at
    > our poor online banking offerings.

    Online banking - not secure.

    Digital TV - technology still changing, and without using a satalite would
    be costly to implement here.

    Broadband - an expensive joke with Telecom simply unable to provide that
    technology at a reasonable prise and to a reasonable standard or quality.

    At a MINIMUM Telecom should be implementing ADSL2.

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    --
    "The only way Vista client and Longhorn server would make sense
    would be if [the] company was doing a 'forklift upgrade' on its

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Nov 28, 2006
  16. On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 07:59:09 +1300, whome wrote:

    > Anyway, having the most number of cellphones is not a sign of innovation.
    > The innovation took place 15 years ago.

    And lets not forget that "early adoption" is not "innovation".

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Nov 28, 2006
  17. In message <ekfa0g$p4n$>, Peter wrote:

    > The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
    > manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow
    > to take up new technology and are therefore not innovative.

    What a charming attitude: we, the advanced, high-tech company have come out
    with all this wonderful new technology, if you, the customers, don't buy
    into it, then you're the losers.

    That's not how capitalism works. In capitalism, the customer is king. If
    they're not buying your product, then _you're_ the loser.

    Speaking of losers, here's <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=117> some
    interesting commentary on Microsoft's Windows-development woes, and how
    they might be fixed. Fundamentally, I don't think they're fixable: I think
    Windows development has evolved itself into a cul-de-sac.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 28, 2006
  18. In message <ekfa0g$p4n$>, Peter wrote:

    > The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
    > manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow
    > to take up new technology and are therefore not innovative.

    Guess what? They say the same in every country, it seems. Here's an item
    about a UK Microsoft guy
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/30/microsoft_cure_for_uk_productivity_gap/>
    claiming the Brits are lagging behind and how buying Microsoft products
    will cure that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 30, 2006
  19. Peter

    BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 09:53:32 +1000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <ekfa0g$p4n$>, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a
    >> Microsoft manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows
    >> NZers are slow to take up new technology and are therefore not
    >> innovative.

    > Guess what? They say the same in every country, it seems. Here's an item
    > about a UK Microsoft guy
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/30/microsoft_cure_for_uk_productivity_gap/>
    > claiming the Brits are lagging behind and how buying Microsoft products
    > will cure that.

    I seem to remember "Chucka" Ballmer or his Billness doing a whistlestop
    tour of NZ and Australia some time ago, complaining mainly about these
    two Pacific backwaters lagging behind in broadband. Youfellas gettum
    broadband, better for youfellas better for usfellas.

    --
    BrianM

    BrianM, Dec 1, 2006