    has declined, whereas in actual fact it is in more widespread use than ever.

    If you keep using the wrong metric to measure your market success, you will
    end up achieving 100% success in a market that nobody cares about at all.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 1, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Re: Microsoft's Comparison To Linux In The Server Market ConvenientlyLeaves Out Free

    > Quite a few people have been deconstructing Microsoft’s recent publication
    > of figures in an effort to paint itself in a more positive light. This
    > Guardian article
    > <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jun/28/microsoft-frank-shaw-numbers-analysed>
    > takes apart a lot of them.
    >
    > It’s particularly interesting to look at its interpretation of server
    > market share figures
    > <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100629/0242169999.shtml>. It seems to be
    > basing market share purely on the value of OS licences sold, not on the
    > actual number of copies in use, and not taking into account revenues from
    > service and support contracts. So by this measure it can claim that Linux
    > has declined, whereas in actual fact it is in more widespread use than ever.
    >
    > If you keep using the wrong metric to measure your market success, you will
    > end up achieving 100% success in a market that nobody cares about at all.

    Every processor running Linux represents a lost sale and free software
    is stealing billions of Microsoft's revenue.
    That's the market share they should be thinking about.
    Sales lost to terrorism vs sales made for God.
    victor, Jul 1, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Adam Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "victor" <> wrote in message
    >> On 1/07/2010 12:53 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Quite a few people have been deconstructing Microsoft?s recent
    >>> publication
    >>> of figures in an effort to paint itself in a more positive light. This
    >>> Guardian article

    <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jun/28/microsoft-frank-shaw-numbers-analysed>
    >>> takes apart a lot of them.
    >>>
    >>> It?s particularly interesting to look at its interpretation of server
    >>> market share figures
    >>> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100629/0242169999.shtml>. It seems to be
    >>> basing market share purely on the value of OS licences sold, not on the
    >>> actual number of copies in use, and not taking into account revenues
    >>> from service and support contracts. So by this measure it can claim that
    >>> Linux has declined, whereas in actual fact it is in more widespread use
    >>> than ever.
    >>>
    >>> If you keep using the wrong metric to measure your market success, you
    >>> will
    >>> end up achieving 100% success in a market that nobody cares about at
    >>> all.

    >> Every processor running Linux represents a lost sale and free software is
    >> stealing billions of Microsoft's revenue.
    >> That's the market share they should be thinking about.
    >> Sales lost to terrorism vs sales made for God.
    >>

    > "Sales made for God"? Ah, yes. Victor the Vanquished pontificating once
    > more on behalf of The Larry D'Loserite sect. Well said, Pastor Victor!

    You lose again, -impossible-.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

    No tertiary education is one thing, but a poor secondary education is rather
    sad really. Why are you wasting your time and everybody else's here with
    your childish trolling ? Why not get out and do some work, or have some
    fun, with a computer.
    Adam, Jul 2, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    On 3/07/2010 8:17 a.m., Adam wrote:
    > impossible wrote:
    >

    >> "victor"<> wrote in message
    >>>>

    > <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jun/28/microsoft-frank-shaw-numbers-analysed>

    >>> Every processor running Linux represents a lost sale and free software is
    >>> stealing billions of Microsoft's revenue.
    >>> That's the market share they should be thinking about.
    >>> Sales lost to terrorism vs sales made for God.
    >>>

    >> "Sales made for God"? Ah, yes. Victor the Vanquished pontificating once
    >> more on behalf of The Larry D'Loserite sect. Well said, Pastor Victor!

    > You lose again, -impossible-.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
    >
    > No tertiary education is one thing, but a poor secondary education is rather
    > sad really. Why are you wasting your time and everybody else's here with
    > your childish trolling ? Why not get out and do some work, or have some
    > fun, with a computer.

    hehe win

    Never the less, if Microsoft wants to compare market share, the only way
    to do it is sales they made (for God and the American Way) vs sales
    lost, (to Linux the OS used by terrorists when they Google their targets).
    That is their rhetoric.
    victor, Jul 2, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Jul 3, 9:43 am, victor <> wrote:
    > On 3/07/2010 8:17 a.m., Adam wrote:
    >

    > > impossible wrote:

    > >> "victor"<>  wrote in message

    > > <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jun/28/microsoft-frank....>

    > >> "Sales made for God"? Ah, yes. Victor the Vanquished pontificating once
    > >> more on behalf of The Larry D'Loserite sect. Well said, Pastor Victor!

    > > You lose again, -impossible-.

    > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

    > > No tertiary education is one thing, but a poor secondary education is rather
    > > sad really. Why are you wasting your time and everybody else's here with
    > > your childish trolling ?  Why not get out and do some work, or have some
    > > fun, with a computer.

    > hehe win
    >
    > Never the less, if Microsoft wants to compare market share, the only way
    > to do it is sales they made (for God and the American Way) vs sales
    > lost, (to Linux the OS used by terrorists when they Google their targets)..
    > That is their rhetoric.

    Try mentioning converting from MS Office to Open Office to a MS sales
    manager.... oh boy! We had an excellent display of fireworks that
    evening!
    Simon, Jul 2, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 09:43:09 +1200, victor wrote:

    > On 3/07/2010 8:17 a.m., Adam wrote:
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>

    >>> "victor"<> wrote in message
    >>>>>

    >> <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jun/28/microsoft-frank-

    shaw-numbers-analysed>

    >>> "Sales made for God"? Ah, yes. Victor the Vanquished pontificating
    >>> once more on behalf of The Larry D'Loserite sect. Well said, Pastor
    >>> Victor!

    >> You lose again, -impossible-.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
    >>
    >> No tertiary education is one thing, but a poor secondary education is
    >> rather sad really. Why are you wasting your time and everybody else's
    >> here with your childish trolling ? Why not get out and do some work,
    >> or have some fun, with a computer.
    >>

    > hehe win
    >
    > Never the less, if Microsoft wants to compare market share, the only way
    > to do it is sales they made (for God and the American Way) vs sales
    > lost, (to Linux the OS used by terrorists when they Google their
    > targets). That is their rhetoric.

    Microsoft regularly audits businesses by a scam called "true-up". By that
    means it gets businesses to purchase more licenses for MS software and
    therefore MS should have a fair understanding of the numbers of MS
    Windows servers actually deployed.

    the Linux world, OTOH, has no means to accurately measure the number of
    Linux based servers that are deployed and in service - and the number of
    support contracts signed by companies such as RedHat is an unknown
    percentage of the number of computers in service based on software
    distributed by those companies.

    Thus at best the ratio of known MS Windows deployments to Linux support
    contracts sold will always be a biased ratio in favour of MS Windows.

    Sweetpea, Jul 2, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:55:20 -0700, Simon wrote:

    > Try mentioning converting from MS Office to Open Office to a MS sales
    > manager.... oh boy! We had an excellent display of fireworks that
    > evening!

    Please do tell us more. :)

    Sweetpea, Jul 2, 2010