    That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 9, 2007

  2. Jonathan Walker

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-09-09, Jonathan Walker <> wrote:
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
    >
    > "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
    > percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
    > Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
    >
    > That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

    Good, what is needed is for all browsers to hold a representive share. It
    helps to discourage the vandals. Also helps the competition be alive and
    well.

    Gordon, Sep 9, 2007

  3. Jonathan Walker

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in news:5khd2vF3klm2U1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > Good, what is needed is for all browsers to hold a representive share. It
    > helps to discourage the vandals. Also helps the competition be alive and
    > well.

    And promotes W3C coding specs.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 9, 2007
  4. Jonathan Walker

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Jonathan Walker <> wrote:

    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
    >
    > "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
    > percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
    > Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
    >
    > That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

    Yada yada yada, Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

    whoisthis, Sep 9, 2007
  5. In message <>, whoisthis wrote:

    > ... Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

    Who mentioned Macs?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 9, 2007
  6. On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:09:55 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

    > Yada yada yada, Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

    We all know that M$ has no interest in developing software for any platform
    other than its own.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 9, 2007
  7. On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:45:45 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> ... Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

    > Who mentioned Macs?

    Browsers exist on Macintosh computers. Micro$oft no longer develops a
    browser for the Macintosh.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 9, 2007
  8. Jonathan Walker

    Peter Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2007-09-09, Jonathan Walker <> wrote:
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
    >> "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
    >> percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
    >> Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
    >>
    >> That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.
    >>

    > Good, what is needed is for all browsers to hold a representive share. It
    > helps to discourage the vandals. Also helps the competition be alive and
    > well.

    Yes, the idea situation would be no one browser with more than about 20%
    market share. This would provide users with real choice, and prevent
    anyone exerting monopoly powers. More browsers also make it difficult for
    the bad guys, as it is easier if the malware only has to find
    vulnerabilities in one type of browser.

    Some more stats here. As always, the trends are usually more important than
    the absolute numbers.

    Peter

    Peter, Sep 9, 2007
  9. In message <>, Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:45:45 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>> ... Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

    >> Who mentioned Macs?

    > Browsers exist on Macintosh computers. Micro$oft no longer develops a
    > browser for the Macintosh.

    The relevance to the original item being...?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 9, 2007
  10. Jonathan Walker

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 9 Sep 2007 16:57:11 +1200, Jonathan Walker <>
    exclaimed:

    >http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
    >
    >"" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
    >percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
    >Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
    >
    >That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

    "At the expense of" Firefox?

    How does that work?

    Fred Dagg, Sep 9, 2007
  11. Jonathan Walker

    sam Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Jonathan Walker <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
    >>
    >> "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
    >> percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
    >> Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
    >>
    >> That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

    > Yada yada yada, Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

    They wouldn't make much of a bump in the stats
    The share on Windows would never go below 50% even if every user
    downloaded an alternative browser because there is an MS browser built in.

    sam, Sep 9, 2007
  12. Jonathan Walker

    Bongo Guest

    On 9 Sep 2007 16:57:11 +1200, Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
    >
    > "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
    > percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
    > Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
    >
    > That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

    "" Did you cum when you read that? ""

    Bongo, Sep 9, 2007
  13. On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:58:44 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > Some more stats here. As always, the trends are usually more important than
    > the absolute numbers.
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

    Interesting. Thanks for posting that URL. I've bookmarked if for future
    reference.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 9, 2007
  14. Jonathan Walker

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Jonathan Walker <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:09:55 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
    >
    > > Yada yada yada, Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

    > We all know that M$ has no interest in developing software for any platform
    > other than its own.

    Actually MS office is a better product than anything else out there on
    the Mac.

    whoisthis, Sep 9, 2007
  15. Jonathan Walker

    thingy Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
    >
    > "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
    > percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
    > Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
    >
    > That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

    and IIS's market share has grown v Apache....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Sep 10, 2007
  16. Jonathan Walker

    thingy Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Jonathan Walker <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:09:55 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yada yada yada, Microsoft LEFT the browser Market for Macs years ago.

    >> We all know that M$ has no interest in developing software for any platform
    >> other than its own.

    > Actually MS office is a better product than anything else out there on
    > the Mac.

    Depends on your definition of "better" A big part of mine is
    cost/performance. Something like oOo wins because it may not have all
    the bells and whistles of MS Office (which I dont use anyway) but its
    zero cost make it unbeatable.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Sep 10, 2007
  17. Jonathan Walker

    Matty F Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
    >
    > "" Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
    > percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of
    > Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. ""
    >
    > That means about 19% of browser usage is with other browsers.

    How did they measure browser usage? Because of absurd decisions by
    Xtra and Yahoo to only support two browsers, I have set my Opera
    browser to pretend that it is IE.
    So any website that I go to will get the wrong browser statistics.

    Matty F, Sep 10, 2007
  18. Jonathan Walker

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    thingy <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Jonathan Walker <> wrote:

    > >> We all know that M$ has no interest in developing software for any platform
    > >> other than its own.

    > > Actually MS office is a better product than anything else out there on
    > > the Mac.

    > Depends on your definition of "better" A big part of mine is
    > cost/performance. Something like oOo wins because it may not have all
    > the bells and whistles of MS Office (which I dont use anyway) but its
    > zero cost make it unbeatable.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Price is not an option for me, compatibility is. The most expensive part
    of the computer is the user, not the software.

    whoisthis, Sep 10, 2007
  19. On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:26:34 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > and IIS's market share has grown v Apache....

    It's probably worth pointing out that what has grown is the number of
    domain names being hosted by IIS. What appears to have not grown (or at
    least is the number of actual servers running IIS.

    IMHO, the increased number of sub-domains under, for example, myspace.com
    does not and should not count as an increase in the number of installations
    of IIS per se.

    However, if the number of actual hosts running IIS increases, then IIS
    should show a corresponding increase.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 10, 2007
  20. On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:29:14 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > Depends on your definition of "better" A big part of mine is
    > cost/performance. Something like oOo wins because it may not have all
    > the bells and whistles of MS Office (which I dont use anyway) but its
    > zero cost make it unbeatable.

    And OOo is "good enough" for what most persons need.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 10, 2007