Microsoft yanks Windows code on GPL violation claim

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Carnations, Nov 11, 2009.

  1. Carnations

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:58:26 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> " ?Not Invented Here? " Why do the ? appear in my newsreader? Always
    >> thought that they were web/Netscape produced.
    >>
    >> Usenet is about ASCII, font and other bits. yes?

    > Lawrances post was in normal UTF-8 character set which has the correct
    > quote marks in it as he used, sounds like something you are using is not
    > honoring the character set request and dumbing it down to 7 bit.
    >
    > Usenet has handled 8bit for a very very long time now, yet some people
    > insist on crap like quoted-printable or similar encodings still.

    Usenet is officially a 7-bit service. It is not - and cannot be - 8-bit clean.

    If a post is to be fully compatible with all NNTP clients then it needs to be either 7-bit text only, or it
    needs to conform to the agreed methods of encoding the additional 128 characters using the officially
    supported 7-bit text.

    Carnations, Nov 16, 2009

  2. Carnations

    victor Guest

    Carnations wrote:

    >>> But "copyrighteED" is the past tense of a verb. epic pedant fail

    >> What is the present and future tense of it? I dont think it has any so
    >> then saying is copyright and will be copyright are the only ways to
    >> express it?

    > "Copyrighted" is an adjective. you can describe someone as having received a copyright, and that the
    > object of the copyright is therefore copyrighted or that it will be copyrighted.

    The suffix ed denotes the past tense of a verb

    victor, Nov 17, 2009

  3. Carnations

    Carnations Guest

    On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:31:44 +1300, victor wrote:

    >> "Copyrighted" is an adjective. you can describe someone as having
    >> received a copyright, and that the object of the copyright is therefore
    >> copyrighted or that it will be copyrighted.
    >>

    > The suffix ed denotes the past tense of a verb

    Yes - of many but not all verbs. It also denotes the passive past participle of some verbs and is one of
    the ways some adjectives are formed from noun roots.

    Carnations, Nov 17, 2009