    open the file as its received as an attachment.

    How can I send the file so she can open it.

    I assume I have to save the file in another format.

    carol, Feb 25, 2006

  2. carol

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    carol wrote:
    > WIN 98
    >
    > When I save a file under the above its saves as Works wps.
    >
    > When I send the file using email my daughter in America Win XP is unable to
    > open the file as its received as an attachment.
    >
    > How can I send the file so she can open it.
    >
    > I assume I have to save the file in another format.

    Yep Carol, you will have to save it as RTF, TXT or probably Word 6/Word
    97 formats.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 25, 2006

  3. carol

    PC Guest

    "carol" <> wrote in message
    > WIN 98
    >
    > When I save a file under the above its saves as Works wps.
    >
    > When I send the file using email my daughter in America Win XP is unable
    > open the file as its received as an attachment.
    >
    > How can I send the file so she can open it.
    >
    > I assume I have to save the file in another format.

    And the other possibility is the good ol Outlook Express won't allow
    attachments to be opened because they may contain a virus

    OE
    Tools
    Security
    UNtick the box "do not allow attachments to be saved or
    opened...................."

    And as OF has indicated you need to send the file in a format your daughter
    can open (TXT etc) or get her to load the 'Works' program on her PC.

    Another trick is to open the original document, highlight the whole document
    (ctrl+a) then copy (ctrl+c), open your email message, click in the text
    space and paste (ctrl+v) This way you 'file' gets 'inserted' into the email
    and her email program will do all the rendering, no worries about file
    format or attachment blocking.

    Paul.

    PC, Feb 26, 2006
  4. carol

    mistletoad Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in

    > "carol" <> wrote in message
    >> WIN 98
    >>
    >> When I save a file under the above its saves as Works wps.
    >>
    >> When I send the file using email my daughter in America
    >> Win XP is unable to
    >> open the file as its received as an attachment.
    >>
    >> How can I send the file so she can open it.
    >>
    >> I assume I have to save the file in another format.
    >>

    > And the other possibility is the good ol Outlook Express
    > won't allow attachments to be opened because they may
    > contain a virus
    >
    > OE
    > Tools
    > Security
    > UNtick the box "do not allow attachments to be saved or
    > opened...................."
    >

    > And as OF has indicated you need to send the file in a
    > format your daughter can open (TXT etc) or get her to load
    > the 'Works' program on her PC.
    >
    > Another trick is to open the original document, highlight
    > the whole document (ctrl+a) then copy (ctrl+c), open your
    > email message, click in the text space and paste (ctrl+v)
    > This way you 'file' gets 'inserted' into the email and her
    > email program will do all the rendering, no worries about
    > file format or attachment blocking.
    >
    > Paul.

    Unless you are printing out or publishing something (like in a
    page-layout or web design program) or unless you care about
    different words being in different fonts and colors and not
    about the content, you should save anything you write as plain
    text, especially just email.

    Not to mention there are HUNDREDS better wp's than M$ crap out
    there, many free.

    And they do not intentionally make their idiotic formats
    unreadable by their own other apps or versions so you will HAVE
    to go buy more crap - not to mention unreadable by other
    manufacturers's programs. ASCII Text is universal (and also 10
    to 50 times smaller in file size of same ACTUAL content).
    ANYTHING will read it, nor can you put a virus in it unless it's
    not really text but an exe or scr or pif file and you change the
    extension to make it appear so. (Not to mention the default of
    hiding file extensions in recent Win versions, another gift to
    humanity from Microsoft, "the security experts who care about
    their customers".)

    Someone wrote a great article about this subject and it's on the
    net somewhere. I think it's called "why text" or "why just text"
    or something, if you're interested in a much longer but more
    convincing argument.

    mistletoad, Feb 26, 2006
  5. carol

    Sunny Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "carol" <> wrote in message
    >> WIN 98
    >>
    >> When I save a file under the above its saves as Works wps.
    >>
    >> When I send the file using email my daughter in America Win XP is unable
    >> open the file as its received as an attachment.
    >>
    >> How can I send the file so she can open it.
    >>
    >> I assume I have to save the file in another format.
    >>

    > And the other possibility is the good ol Outlook Express won't allow
    > attachments to be opened because they may contain a virus
    >
    > OE
    > Tools
    > Security
    > UNtick the box "do not allow attachments to be saved or
    > opened...................."
    >

    > And as OF has indicated you need to send the file in a format your
    > daughter can open (TXT etc) or get her to load the 'Works' program on her
    > PC.
    >
    > Another trick is to open the original document, highlight the whole
    > document (ctrl+a) then copy (ctrl+c), open your email message, click in
    > the text space and paste (ctrl+v) This way you 'file' gets 'inserted' into
    > the email and her email program will do all the rendering, no worries
    > about file format or attachment blocking.

    May help :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...87-8732-48d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&DisplayLang=en
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5a-3880-4416-9260-57a96c8a9a76&DisplayLang=en
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...83-f51b-4977-b572-8c042df802c1&DisplayLang=en