    Have been trying to install Works 4 in Xp. I have installed Word 97 from the
    same disc but the works set-up stops after verification of the disc and
    searching for installed components . Any help appreciated E

    Ed, Dec 8, 2006

  2. Ed

    Gordon Guest

    Ed wrote:

    > Have been trying to install Works 4 in Xp. I have installed Word 97 from
    > the same disc but the works set-up stops after verification of the disc
    > and
    > searching for installed components . Any help appreciated E

    May I suggest that you have a look at Open office instead as a replacement
    for both? Open Office 2.0.4 is easily the equivalent of MS Office 2002 (XP)
    - Works 4 and Word 97 are obsolete......

    www.openoffice.org

    Gordon, Dec 8, 2006

  3. Ed

    thanatoid Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in

    > Ed wrote:
    >
    >> Have been trying to install Works 4 in Xp. I have
    >> installed Word 97 from the same disc but the works set-up
    >> stops after verification of the disc and
    >> searching for installed components . Any help appreciated

    > May I suggest that you have a look at Open office instead
    > as a replacement for both? Open Office 2.0.4 is easily the
    > equivalent of MS Office 2002 (XP) - Works 4 and Word 97 are
    > obsolete......
    >
    > www.openoffice.org

    Good suggestion, but may I add something...

    Neither Works 4 nor Word 97 are "obsolete". They are fine and do
    more than 95% of the users need. The reason the user has the
    install problem under XP is because MS likes to force people to
    upgrade just to make more money (like making older documents
    "incompatible" with the new versions they brainwash everybody
    into getting, etc.).

    I bet there aren't more than 100 people in the entire world who
    are even capable of using all of Office's features, let alone
    need to - and this includes the thousands of underpaid college
    students who coded the "program" - which, these days - as I
    suspected - actually makes more money for MS than Windows does
    (just read the news story somewhere the other day).

    OP: May I suggest upgrading (yes, UPGRADING) to a simpler,
    stabler and faster system like Win98SE or 2000. It will run 5-10
    times faster and do everything you need to do, and you won't
    have to get any new programs just to feed the greed.

    t.

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 8, 2006
  4. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Dec 8, 2006
  5. Hiya thanatoid.

    In <news:Xns9893762209E46thanexit@66.250.146.158> you wrote:

    > OP: May I suggest upgrading (yes, UPGRADING) to a simpler,
    > stabler and faster system like Win98SE or 2000. It will run 5-10
    > times faster and do everything you need to do, and you won't
    > have to get any new programs just to feed the greed.

    Unfortunately, security updates are quite hard to come by too.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Bah humbug - Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811

    Ebeneezer Ponder, Dec 8, 2006
  6. Ed

    PeeCee Guest

    "Ed" <> wrote in message
    > Have been trying to install Works 4 in Xp. I have installed Word 97 from
    > the same disc but the works set-up stops after verification of the disc
    > and searching for installed components . Any help appreciated E

    Hi Ed

    Gotta ask,
    Where did you get the disk? (CD?)
    Is it an OEM disk?
    Is it a CDR picked up from a 'mate'?

    I may well be wrong but I don't recall seeing Works '4' and Word 97 on the
    same disk.

    Later versions of Works (Works "Suite" 2000 etc) came with a copy of Word,
    but in these cases Works and Word were usually installed by the one
    installer.

    Your symptoms point to the wrong install program being run if it is a combo
    disk.
    Try running the setup program in the root of the disk.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 9, 2006
  7. Ed

    thanatoid Guest

    Ebeneezer Ponder <> wrote in

    > Hiya thanatoid.
    >
    > In <news:Xns9893762209E46thanexit@66.250.146.158> you
    > wrote:
    >
    >> OP: May I suggest upgrading (yes, UPGRADING) to a simpler,
    >> stabler and faster system like Win98SE or 2000. It will
    >> run 5-10 times faster and do everything you need to do,
    >> and you won't have to get any new programs just to feed
    >> the greed.

    > Unfortunately, security updates are quite hard to come by
    > too.

    You don't need any for Win9x. (I will never use anything newer
    from MS so I can't comment.)

    AAMOF, the only "security update" anyone needs is to make a few
    simple changes from the defaults (thank you Microsoft) in system
    and network setup for the internet and to NEVER use IE/OE.

    Of course, the dozens (hundreds?) of "security program" vendors
    wouldn't make any money if everyone knew that, would they now?

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 9, 2006
  8. Ed

    Ed Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message news:eld091$g2j$...

    > "Ed" <> wrote in message
    >> Have been trying to install Works 4 in Xp. I have installed Word 97 from
    >> the same disc but the works set-up stops after verification of the disc
    >> and searching for installed components . Any help appreciated E
    >>

    > Hi Ed
    >

    > Gotta ask,
    > Where did you get the disk? (CD?)
    > Is it an OEM disk?
    > Is it a CDR picked up from a 'mate'?
    >
    > I may well be wrong but I don't recall seeing Works '4' and Word 97 on the
    > same disk.
    >
    > Later versions of Works (Works "Suite" 2000 etc) came with a copy of Word,
    > but in these cases Works and Word were usually installed by the one
    > installer.
    >
    > Your symptoms point to the wrong install program being run if it is a
    > combo
    > disk.
    > Try running the setup program in the root of the disk.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.
    >

    >It is on Home Essentials 97 and designed for Windows 95 ,has word ,works
    >money IE Fonts and Clip Art genuine Microsoft

    Please explain Set-up in root of disc Thanks

    Ed, Dec 9, 2006
  9. Ed

    PeeCee Guest

    "Ed" <> wrote in message

    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message news:eld091$g2j$...
    >>
    >> "Ed" <> wrote in message
    >>> Have been trying to install Works 4 in Xp. I have installed Word 97 from
    >>> the same disc but the works set-up stops after verification of the disc
    >>> and searching for installed components . Any help appreciated E
    >>>

    >> Hi Ed
    >>

    >> Gotta ask,
    >> Where did you get the disk? (CD?)
    >> Is it an OEM disk?
    >> Is it a CDR picked up from a 'mate'?
    >>
    >> I may well be wrong but I don't recall seeing Works '4' and Word 97 on
    >> the
    >> same disk.
    >>
    >> Later versions of Works (Works "Suite" 2000 etc) came with a copy of
    >> Word,
    >> but in these cases Works and Word were usually installed by the one
    >> installer.
    >>
    >> Your symptoms point to the wrong install program being run if it is a
    >> combo
    >> disk.
    >> Try running the setup program in the root of the disk.
    >>
    >> Best
    >> Paul.
    >>

    >>It is on Home Essentials 97 and designed for Windows 95 ,has word ,works
    >>money IE Fonts and Clip Art genuine Microsoft

    > Please explain Set-up in root of disc Thanks

    Morning Ed

    "Home Essentials 97" ah I see

    The 'root' of a drive is the base folder, sort of like the foyer of a house.
    You come through the front door to the foyer (the root) and there are doors
    (folders) leading off the foyer to other parts of the house (disk)

    Start button, Run, Browse, (to the CD drive) click on the setup file in the
    Root of the drive, Open and then OK.
    The 'Setup' file may not necessarily be "setup.exe", other candidates are
    "install.exe", "Start.bat" you will just have to look at what's here.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 10, 2006