    Regards,
    Roy.

    www.btinternet.com/~godalming

    Roy, Feb 14, 2007

  2. Roy wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I need to carry a collection of log-on's & passwords on my laptop. I
    > have so many passwords now, I need to write them down.
    >
    > How secure is a Word document which has been encrypted using Word's own
    > encryption? I have tried simple things like changing the document to ".txt"
    > & opening it in notepad, and it's still a bunch of random characters.
    > Great, but how secure?

    The standard encryption mechanism for Word97/2K/XP .doc format is
    vulnerable to keystream leaking due to improper usage or the RC4 stream
    cipher. Thus, if you edit a document, an attacker can extract an easily
    separable combination of the previous and the new content.

    The stronger, not backward compatible encryption offered since Office XP
    and standard in Office 2003 seems to be useful.

    Anyway, since .doc basically is a memory dump, you don't really know if not
    the key ends up somewhere else, or some data remain unencrypted.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Feb 14, 2007

  3. Roy

    Notan Guest

    Roy wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I need to carry a collection of log-on's & passwords on my laptop. I
    > have so many passwords now, I need to write them down.
    >
    > How secure is a Word document which has been encrypted using Word's own
    > encryption? I have tried simple things like changing the document to ".txt"
    > & opening it in notepad, and it's still a bunch of random characters.
    > Great, but how secure?

    Assuming that Sebastian is correct (and I have no reason not to) about the
    lack of security, why not create an encrypted container with something like
    TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org).

    --
    Notan

    Notan, Feb 14, 2007
  4. Why not try something like "Password Safe" for your passwords? I use it and
    keep it's database synchronised between my tablet pc and my desktop.

    http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

    Larry

    Lawrence E. Oliver, Feb 14, 2007
  5. Roy

    Roy Guest

    Thanks everyone for your input. I will take a look at the software
    suggested.
    Regards,
    Roy.

    Roy, Feb 15, 2007
  6. Notan <notan@ddressthatcanbespammed> (07-02-14 05:43:34):

    > > How secure is a Word document which has been encrypted using Word's
    > > own encryption? I have tried simple things like changing the
    > > document to ".txt" & opening it in notepad, and it's still a bunch
    > > of random characters. Great, but how secure?

    > Assuming that Sebastian is correct (and I have no reason not to) about
    > the lack of security, why not create an encrypted container with
    > something like TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org).

    Sebastian is correct. But using TrueCrypt would probably be overkill
    for a single passwords file. On the other hand, storing all useful data
    onto an encrypted partition would make sense again, especially for a
    laptop, so do that.

    If you still want to encrypt single files, use GnuPG or something
    similar. Do not rely on commercial software. They claim to be secure,
    but in many cases, they're trivial to break.

    Regards,
    E.S.

    Ertugrul Soeylemez, Feb 15, 2007
  7. Roy

    Anthony T Guest

    I use password agent. http://www.moonsoftware.com/main.asp It uses
    AES/Rijndael encryption (256-bit key) to encrypt your data and passwords.
    "Password Agent Lite is completely free, and allows you to store up to 25
    entries per file. It has no other limitations! If you need to store more
    entries, you can purchase the Unlimited version for only $24.95. The
    Unlimited version can store virtually an unlimited number of entries. If you
    only need to store less than 25 entries in your password database, you can
    use Password Agent Lite for free forever." Not bad for free.

    Anthony T, Feb 16, 2007