    it has got some inbuilt timeout? can somebody help me make a decession on
    this purchase please.
    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2lyaWRoYXI=?=, Oct 22, 2006

  2. Giridhar wrote:
    > Hi, I would like to install Windows XP 64bit on my Desktop. Problem is, I
    > really cannot get an Idea of NFR (Not-For-Resale ). I would like to use this
    > OS on my personal PC. I have AMD Athlon 3800 processor.
    >
    > The resent advertisements in Surpluscomputers.com shows they are selling for
    > about $45. I would like to know if this is a valid.

    The company is actively advertising that it's illegally selling NFR
    licenses? That's gall. You should report them to .

    > Can I purchase and use
    > it?

    Do you have any objection to purchasing what are, in effect, stolen
    goods? If not, then I guess you could do so.

    > can I use this OS to work like just like any Windows XP professional, Or
    > it has got some inbuilt timeout?

    No time-out, but the legal penalties for knowingly purchasing stolen
    goods will depend upon the specific jurisdiction in which you reside.

    > can somebody help me make a decession on
    > this purchase please.
    > Thanks.

    Let your conscience be your guide.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Oct 22, 2006

  3. If they are _selling_ an NFR copy, they are absolutely violating the
    licensing on it. That's what NFR MEANS - you can't SELL it.

    If you buy it, you're complicit in the violation. Just don't do it. Buy an
    OEM copy from your favourite online retailer that is legitimate. There are
    lots. Yes, their price is more than $45. That's because they're selling you
    a LEGAL copy.

    Some legitimate retailers that the regulars on this forum have used and will
    vouch for:
    www.ncix.com
    www.directron.com
    www.newegg.com
    www.zipzoomfly.com

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 22, 2006
  4. Hi,

    Thank you for your advise. Bruce Chambers and Charlie Russel.
    I didn't know it was illegal, second I didn't read the add completely. I
    will be careful next time. Thank you for providing the sites where I can get
    the legal version of OS.

    Thank you again.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2lyaWRoYXI=?=, Oct 23, 2006
  5. He isn't joking. Here is a post from the advert:

    "SWW13455 - Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (NFR) $44.99 On
    Sale!"

    Warranty: 30 Days

    Please Note: This is a fully functional original Microsoft Student Media CD
    with installation key code and CD. On the CD it states you must legally own a
    copy of their license to use this CD. This software installs, fully
    activatable & registerable like the Commercial Versions you find in the
    retail stores. This item is shipped in an environmentally friendly packaging
    without the box.

    This version DOES NOT come in a retail box. It comes with a CD & Authentic
    Keycode for activation and registration.

    demands of customers who require large amounts of memory and floating point
    performance in areas such as mechanical design and analysis, 3-D animation,
    video editing and composition, and scientific and high-performance computing
    applications.

    I am quite sure this is a violation. I just can't believe they are actually
    advertising it!

    Stupid people should be sterilized.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VuZSBGaXR6?=, Oct 24, 2006
  6. But Wait! There's More!

    I don't really like being a whistle blower or anything, but my goodness

    Microsoft Office 2003 Professional (NFR) $499.99 $109.99

    Microsoft Office 2003 STD (NFR) $99.99 $69.99

    Microsoft Office 2003 STD (NFR)(2 Pack) $199.99 $134.99

    Microsoft Visio 2003 Professional (NFR) $499.99 $139.99

    Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server (NFR) $299.99 $69.99

    Microsoft Windows 2000 Server (NFR) $299.99 $59.99

    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (NFR) $299.99 $89.99

    Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (NFR) $299.99 $44.99

    Someone ought to report this.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VuZSBGaXR6?=, Oct 24, 2006
  7. RE: But Wait! There's More!

    And it has now been reported. The sales of NFR software is software piracy,
    nothing less.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VuZSBGaXR6?=, Oct 24, 2006