Microsoft Windows Live Messenger Contact List Processing Remote Denial of Service Vulnerability

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by imhotep, Jun 27, 2006.

  1. imhotep

    imhotep Guest

    "Microsoft Windows Live Messenger is reported prone to a remote
    denial-of-service vulnerability when handling malformed contact list (.ctt)
    files.

    A successful attack can result in a denial of service condition by crashing
    the application.

    Windows Live Messenger 8.0 is reported to be vulnerable. Other versions may
    be affected as well."

    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/18639/discuss

    Imhotep
    --
    *************************************
    Pass a Net Neutrality Law in the US!!!!

    Save the Internet:
    http://www.savetheinternet.com/

    Its our net:
    http://www.itsournet.org/

    *************************************
    imhotep, Jun 27, 2006

  2. Re: Microsoft Windows Live Messenger Contact List Processing RemoteDenial of Service Vulnerability

    imhotep wrote:
    > "Microsoft Windows Live Messenger is reported prone to a remote
    > denial-of-service vulnerability when handling malformed contact list (.ctt)
    > files.

    D'oh. Who would be that stupid to use MWLM at an untrusted network?
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Jun 27, 2006

  3. imhotep

    Founder Guest

    Re: Microsoft Windows Live Messenger Contact List Processing RemoteDenial of Service Vulnerability

    my contact list got messed up today...
    Founder, Jul 6, 2006