Microsoft Windows Defender (Beta 2)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    Has anyone installed this yet?

    Comments? Is it stable? Should I move over from MSAS Beta 2 to MSWD
    Beta 2?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Alan wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Has anyone installed this yet?
    >
    > Comments? Is it stable? Should I move over from MSAS Beta 2 to MSWD
    > Beta 2?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.
    >

    > --
    >
    > The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
    > else associated with me.
    >
    > My current valid email address is:
    >

    > This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
    >
    > It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
    >
    > If you are trying to contact me after that time,
    > it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
    > deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
    > to contact me by email, try searching for a
    > more recent post by me to find my current
    > email address.
    >
    > The following is a (probably!) totally unique
    > and meaningless string of characters that you
    > can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
    >
    > ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    I've got it on my PC and never had any problems with it. IMHO it is
    just as good as other antimalware products on the market. I would run
    that along side adaware se and hijackthis to cover your bases.
    Aldrin Fabricius, Feb 15, 2006

    Aldrin Fabricius, Feb 15, 2006
  4. "Aldrin Fabricius" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Has anyone installed this yet?
    >>
    >> Comments? Is it stable? Should I move over from MSAS Beta 2 to MSWD
    >> Beta 2?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Alan.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
    >> else associated with me.
    >>
    >> My current valid email address is:
    >>

    >> This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
    >>
    >> It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
    >>
    >> If you are trying to contact me after that time,
    >> it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
    >> deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
    >> to contact me by email, try searching for a
    >> more recent post by me to find my current
    >> email address.
    >>
    >> The following is a (probably!) totally unique
    >> and meaningless string of characters that you
    >> can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
    >>
    >> ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    > I've got it on my PC and never had any problems with it. IMHO it is
    > just as good as other antimalware products on the market. I would run
    > that along side adaware se and hijackthis to cover your bases.

    I'd be careful about that last bit of advice. I've seen some weird behaviour
    when running multiple antispyware tools simultaneously. The same goes for
    rrunning more than one AV tool. I've been using Microsoft Antispyware for a
    while without any hassles and have just downloaded Defender which looks good
    so far with an improved UI etc
    The Jesus of Suburbia, Feb 15, 2006
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Has anyone installed this yet?
    >>
    >> Comments? Is it stable? Should I move over from MSAS Beta 2 to
    >> MSWD
    >> Beta 2?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Alan.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or
    >> anyone
    >> else associated with me.
    >>
    >> My current valid email address is:
    >>

    >> This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
    >>
    >> It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
    >>
    >> If you are trying to contact me after that time,
    >> it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
    >> deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
    >> to contact me by email, try searching for a
    >> more recent post by me to find my current
    >> email address.
    >>
    >> The following is a (probably!) totally unique
    >> and meaningless string of characters that you
    >> can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
    >>
    >> ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    > I've got it on my PC and never had any problems with it. IMHO it is
    > just as good as other antimalware products on the market. I would
    > run
    > that along side adaware se and hijackthis to cover your bases.

    Can you run it as well as MSAS or do you have to 'upgrade' from MSAS
    to MSWD?

    Alan, Feb 16, 2006
  6. <snip>

    > Can you run it as well as MSAS or do you have to 'upgrade' from MSAS to
    > MSWD?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    <snip>

    When you install Defender it automatically uninstalls MSAS
    The Jesus of Suburbia, Feb 16, 2006
  7. The Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > Can you run it as well as MSAS or do you have to 'upgrade' from MSAS to
    > > MSWD?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Alan.
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > When you install Defender it automatically uninstalls MSAS

    Exactly. There is actually no version of MSAS beta2, the only beta
    release of MSAS was beta1, MSWD is the new name that was announced a
    while back, and this beta2 release is the first time its been
    available.

    There is more details in the PR
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/feb06/02-14RSA06KeynotePR.mspx

    and the factsheet (which has details on the new features and
    differences between between beta1 and 2)
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...75-4626-ac19-a1b0e95e458c/DefenderBeta2FS.doc
    Nathan Mercer, Feb 16, 2006
  8. In message <>,
    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote:

    >Exactly. There is actually no version of MSAS beta2, the only beta
    >release of MSAS was beta1, MSWD is the new name that was announced a
    >while back, and this beta2 release is the first time its been
    >available.

    Odd then that BBC World's Click programme was still talking about MSAS
    last night. You'd think Click would be up with the play on MSWD.
    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Feb 16, 2006
  9. R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:

    > In message <>,
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Exactly. There is actually no version of MSAS beta2, the only beta
    > >release of MSAS was beta1, MSWD is the new name that was announced a
    > >while back, and this beta2 release is the first time its been
    > >available.

    > Odd then that BBC World's Click programme was still talking about MSAS
    > last night. You'd think Click would be up with the play on MSWD.

    Yes I thought that too, maybe that episode was filmed a little while
    ago - not sure. I watched it on last Friday night I think on BBC off
    Sky

    Although the Windows Defender name was announced some time ago, the
    beta2 download availability wasn't announced by BIllG until around 6AM
    NZ time on this last Wednesday

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Feb 16, 2006