Microsoft Windows and the future of Firefox?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Victor, May 29, 2005.

  1. Victor

    Victor Guest

    I remember the days of Netscape 4.7. It was a good browser at the time until
    it started to crash. And then, it came out that Microsoft had introduced a
    Windows "update" that purposely caused a conflict with Netscape and caused
    it to crash on most computers.

    Those of us that did not have the time to do deep debugging and were more
    concerned with getting our work done ditched Netscape for Internet Explorer.

    Now, we see Firefox. An excellent browser that is certainly faster than IE
    and is, in many ways, easier to use than IE.

    I am asking the following question as a business user that uses my computer
    as a tool to get my work done, which is 85% of Windows users. Like most
    Windows users, I must use Windows to be 100% compliant with my business
    customers.

    *** How do we alert others if Microsoft introduced another "update" that
    causes conflicts with Firefox? ***

    Victor

    Victor, May 29, 2005

  2. Victor wrote:
    > I remember the days of Netscape 4.7. It was a good browser at the time until
    > it started to crash. And then, it came out that Microsoft had introduced a
    > Windows "update" that purposely caused a conflict with Netscape and caused
    > it to crash on most computers.
    >
    > Those of us that did not have the time to do deep debugging and were more
    > concerned with getting our work done ditched Netscape for Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Now, we see Firefox. An excellent browser that is certainly faster than IE
    > and is, in many ways, easier to use than IE.
    >
    > I am asking the following question as a business user that uses my computer
    > as a tool to get my work done, which is 85% of Windows users. Like most
    > Windows users, I must use Windows to be 100% compliant with my business
    > customers.
    >
    > *** How do we alert others if Microsoft introduced another "update" that
    > causes conflicts with Firefox? ***
    >
    > Victor

    You don't. You change to linux. The equivalent software has full
    support. And WINE can emulate strictly windows applications.

    poly-p man

    =?iso-8859-1?B?/vOh/y3e9SH9IG1A8Q==?=, May 30, 2005

  3. On 2005-05-30, þó¡ÿ-Þõ!ý m@ñ <> wrote:

    >> I am asking the following question as a business user that uses my computer
    >> as a tool to get my work done, which is 85% of Windows users. Like most
    >> Windows users, I must use Windows to be 100% compliant with my business
    >> customers.
    >>
    >> *** How do we alert others if Microsoft introduced another "update" that
    >> causes conflicts with Firefox? ***

    > You don't. You change to linux. The equivalent software has full
    > support. And WINE can emulate strictly windows applications.

    Or, use VMWare or Win4Lin to run them if wine doesn't work.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, May 31, 2005
  4. Victor

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Victor wrote:

    > I remember the days of Netscape 4.7. It was a good browser at the time until
    > it started to crash. And then, it came out that Microsoft had introduced a
    > Windows "update" that purposely caused a conflict with Netscape and caused
    > it to crash on most computers.
    >
    > Those of us that did not have the time to do deep debugging and were more
    > concerned with getting our work done ditched Netscape for Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Now, we see Firefox. An excellent browser that is certainly faster than IE
    > and is, in many ways, easier to use than IE.
    >
    > I am asking the following question as a business user that uses my computer
    > as a tool to get my work done, which is 85% of Windows users. Like most
    > Windows users, I must use Windows to be 100% compliant with my business
    > customers.
    >
    > *** How do we alert others if Microsoft introduced another "update" that
    > causes conflicts with Firefox? ***
    >
    > Victor

    I never had a crash of Netscape Communicator, nor NS7, nor any
    Mozilla-based app due to a Windows update.

    As for your question, if there's an update to a Mozilla application it
    will be announced on the mozilla.org Web site, on various mailing lists,
    in the netscape.public.mozilla and secnews.netscape.com newsgroups, on
    Mozillazine.org, in the press, etc. Not sure what else you're seeking.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 31, 2005
  5. Victor

    Victor Guest

    "John Thompson" <2.dhs.org> wrote in message
    > On 2005-05-30, þó¡ÿ-Þõ!ý m@ñ <> wrote:
    >
    > >> I am asking the following question as a business user that uses my

    computer
    > >> as a tool to get my work done, which is 85% of Windows users. Like most
    > >> Windows users, I must use Windows to be 100% compliant with my business
    > >> customers.
    > >>
    > >> *** How do we alert others if Microsoft introduced another "update"

    that
    > >> causes conflicts with Firefox? ***

    > > You don't. You change to linux. The equivalent software has full
    > > support. And WINE can emulate strictly windows applications.

    > Or, use VMWare or Win4Lin to run them if wine doesn't work.

    That's unacceptable. We can argue religion all day, but in the most Windows
    users must stay with Windows. I thought I had made that clear.

    Victor, May 31, 2005
  6. Victor

    Victor Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > Victor wrote:
    >
    > > I remember the days of Netscape 4.7. It was a good browser at the time

    until
    > > it started to crash. And then, it came out that Microsoft had introduced

    > > Windows "update" that purposely caused a conflict with Netscape and

    caused
    > > it to crash on most computers.
    > >
    > > Those of us that did not have the time to do deep debugging and were

    more
    > > concerned with getting our work done ditched Netscape for Internet

    Explorer.

    > > Now, we see Firefox. An excellent browser that is certainly faster than

    IE
    > > and is, in many ways, easier to use than IE.
    > >
    > > I am asking the following question as a business user that uses my

    computer
    > > as a tool to get my work done, which is 85% of Windows users. Like most
    > > Windows users, I must use Windows to be 100% compliant with my business
    > > customers.
    > >
    > > *** How do we alert others if Microsoft introduced another "update" that
    > > causes conflicts with Firefox? ***
    > >
    > > Victor
    > >

    > I never had a crash of Netscape Communicator, nor NS7, nor any
    > Mozilla-based app due to a Windows update.
    >
    > As for your question, if there's an update to a Mozilla application it
    > will be announced on the mozilla.org Web site, on various mailing lists,
    > in the netscape.public.mozilla and secnews.netscape.com newsgroups, on
    > Mozillazine.org, in the press, etc. Not sure what else you're seeking.

    Your referencing Mozilla updates. I'm referencing Windows updates.

    What I'm seeking is,

    Victor, May 31, 2005
  7. On 2005-05-31, Victor <> wrote:

    > "John Thompson" <2.dhs.org> wrote in message
    >
    >> use VMWare or Win4Lin [on linux] to run them if wine doesn't work.

    > That's unacceptable. We can argue religion all day, but in the most Windows
    > users must stay with Windows. I thought I had made that clear.

    Then you're at the mercy of Microsoft. Sorry. You can either suck it up or
    move on.

    But what's unacceptable about VMWare or Win4Lin for the Windows apps you
    must use? Each of these provides an excellent Windows environment under
    linux, and (in my experience anyway) are more versatile than wine.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Jun 1, 2005
  8. Victor

    Moz Champion Guest

    Victor wrote:
    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Victor wrote:
    >>

    >>>I remember the days of Netscape 4.7. It was a good browser at the time

    > until
    >
    >>>it started to crash. And then, it came out that Microsoft had introduced

    >>>Windows "update" that purposely caused a conflict with Netscape and

    > caused
    >
    >>>it to crash on most computers.
    >>>
    >>>Those of us that did not have the time to do deep debugging and were

    > more
    >
    >>>concerned with getting our work done ditched Netscape for Internet

    > Explorer.
    >
    >>>Now, we see Firefox. An excellent browser that is certainly faster than

    > IE
    >
    >>>and is, in many ways, easier to use than IE.
    >>>
    >>>I am asking the following question as a business user that uses my

    > computer
    >
    >>>as a tool to get my work done, which is 85% of Windows users. Like most
    >>>Windows users, I must use Windows to be 100% compliant with my business
    >>>customers.
    >>>
    >>>*** How do we alert others if Microsoft introduced another "update" that
    >>>causes conflicts with Firefox? ***
    >>>
    >>>Victor
    >>>

    >>I never had a crash of Netscape Communicator, nor NS7, nor any
    >>Mozilla-based app due to a Windows update.
    >>
    >>As for your question, if there's an update to a Mozilla application it
    >>will be announced on the mozilla.org Web site, on various mailing lists,
    >>in the netscape.public.mozilla and secnews.netscape.com newsgroups, on
    >>Mozillazine.org, in the press, etc. Not sure what else you're seeking.

    > Your referencing Mozilla updates. I'm referencing Windows updates.
    >
    > What I'm seeking is,
    > How do we alert others if MICROSOFT introduced another "update" that causes
    > conflicts with Firefox?

    I have never run into a WINDOWS update that 'broke' Netscape
    Communicator either

    In the unlikely event one does occur, news would be disseminated via the
    mozilla.org web site, on various mailing lists, and in the newsgroups.
    Most likely pointing to a 'fix'. I doubt Microsoft would be able to
    'get away' with such a feat anyway, considering the court cases it went
    through involving such aspects. The possibllity is rather remote.

    Moz Champion, Jun 1, 2005
  9. Victor

    > On 2005-05-31, Victor <> wrote:
    > >
    > > "John Thompson" <2.dhs.org> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> use VMWare or Win4Lin [on linux] to run them if wine doesn't work.

    > > That's unacceptable. We can argue religion all day, but in the most

    Windows
    > > users must stay with Windows. I thought I had made that clear.

    > Then you're at the mercy of Microsoft. Sorry. You can either suck it up or
    > move on.

    No, like it or not, the market is at the mercy of Microsoft.

    And, what you're claiming is, if Microsoft issues an "update" that crashes
    Firefox on Windows, then Firefox is destined to the trash bin of history.

    > But what's unacceptable about VMWare or Win4Lin for the Windows apps you
    > must use? Each of these provides an excellent Windows environment under
    > linux, and (in my experience anyway) are more versatile than wine.

    I'm a business development consultant, which means I have to work with a
    business client's present infrastructure. If they've got 14,000 computers
    running Windows and I tell them to switch to Linux, I'd be out of my fat
    fee.

    Victor, Jun 1, 2005
  10. Victor

    Moz Champion Guest

    Victor wrote:
    > "John Thompson" <2.dhs.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>On 2005-05-31, Victor <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"John Thompson" <2.dhs.org> wrote in message

    >>>That's unacceptable. We can argue religion all day, but in the most

    > Windows
    >
    >>>users must stay with Windows. I thought I had made that clear.

    >>Then you're at the mercy of Microsoft. Sorry. You can either suck it up or
    >>move on.

    > No, like it or not, the market is at the mercy of Microsoft.
    >
    > And, what you're claiming is, if Microsoft issues an "update" that crashes
    > Firefox on Windows, then Firefox is destined to the trash bin of history.
    >

    >>But what's unacceptable about VMWare or Win4Lin for the Windows apps you
    >>must use? Each of these provides an excellent Windows environment under
    >>linux, and (in my experience anyway) are more versatile than wine.

    > I'm a business development consultant, which means I have to work with a
    > business client's present infrastructure. If they've got 14,000 computers
    > running Windows and I tell them to switch to Linux, I'd be out of my fat
    > fee.

    No, if Microsoft issued an update that crashed Firefox, then the courts
    would deal with the issue (if done on purpose)
    And, the 'fix' (if there was one) would be available nonetheless.

    I dont run MS software at all, yet survive quite nicely thank you very
    much. To be reliant on one company as your sole supplier is simply not
    efficient nor effective in this day and age. What if Microsoft issues
    an upgrade that crashes Windows itself? That HAS been known to happen.
    You going to say 'ah well, thats okay then'? Your entire business
    would be 'down' while you un-updated and re-updated with the 'new,
    fixed' MS update.

    MS has, to date, never issued an update that crashed a competitor. They
    have issued updates that restricted the use of a competitor (see Real
    Music issues), but that had to be fought out in court. As it stands
    now, to 'break' Firefox or Mozilla, MS would have to issue an update
    that breaks W3 standards. This, should it ever come to pass, would
    spell not the end of the programs it breaks, but rather the beginning of
    the end of MS itself.

    MS doesnt set standards automatically, tho it might wish it did. Its
    'Active X' scripting is in deep trouble and may not even make the next
    version of IE. Yet Netscapes Livescript is a de-facto web standard,
    known as javascript. Many of MS's features have fallen on quite
    disagreeable ends, due to exploits or viruses targetting them, active X
    is one, as well as .vbs scripting, not to mention Word or Excel macros.
    By placing your company solely in the hands of a company that issues
    software with so many exploits inherent in the code, and refuses to fix
    some of them, is simply showing that you have no imagination <g>.

    Its quite possible to run a business using no or minimal MS software, if
    you but try. Its quite possible to deal with other companies that run MS
    exclusively while doing so. If the rest of the world decides to jump
    off the bridge, you going to join em? <g>

    Moz Champion, Jun 1, 2005
  11. On 2005-06-01, Moz Champion <> wrote:

    > Victor wrote:
    >>
    >> And, what you're claiming is, if Microsoft issues an "update" that crashes
    >> Firefox on Windows, then Firefox is destined to the trash bin of history.

    > No, if Microsoft issued an update that crashed Firefox, then the courts
    > would deal with the issue (if done on purpose)
    > And, the 'fix' (if there was one) would be available nonetheless.

    Unfortunately, the times this has happened before (think Win-OS/2, Lotus,
    DR-DOS, etc.) Microsoft has gotten off with little more than a slap on the
    wrist, and has not felt any need to restain itself in future situations.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Jun 2, 2005
  12. Victor

    > On 2005-06-01, Moz Champion <> wrote:
    >
    > > Victor wrote:
    > >>
    > >> And, what you're claiming is, if Microsoft issues an "update" that

    crashes
    > >> Firefox on Windows, then Firefox is destined to the trash bin of

    history.

    > > No, if Microsoft issued an update that crashed Firefox, then the courts
    > > would deal with the issue (if done on purpose)
    > > And, the 'fix' (if there was one) would be available nonetheless.

    > Unfortunately, the times this has happened before (think Win-OS/2, Lotus,
    > DR-DOS, etc.) Microsoft has gotten off with little more than a slap on the
    > wrist, and has not felt any need to restain itself in future situations.
    >
    > John

    John is 100% correct. I remember the Netscape trial - the issue came down
    to, how do you prove to a jury, in a clear and convincing manner, that a
    Microsoft update purposely caused an incompatibility? Remember that a jury
    is composed of 12 people that couldn't get out of jury duty - and a jury
    will rarely be composed of computer professionals.

    Unless he's another Linux troll, "Moz Champion" is living in fantasyland. If
    a busy professional updates Windows and suddenly finds that Firefox is
    crashing, he/she is simply going to stop using Firefox, because someone
    living in the real world that is on a deadline doesn't have the time to be
    self-righteous - they will take the quickest path to getting their work
    done - which means not using Firefox, and using Internet Explorer.

    Those of us that remember 1998, the year Netscape died, knows this to be
    true. It was death by Windows Update.

    Firefox is a terrific browser, but with unrealistic people like "Moz
    Champion" championing it, it doesn't stand a chance.

    Vic

    Victor, Jun 2, 2005
  13. Victor

    Victor Guest

    :

    that

    > >>I never had a crash of Netscape Communicator, nor NS7, nor any
    > >>Mozilla-based app due to a Windows update.
    > >>
    > >>As for your question, if there's an update to a Mozilla application it
    > >>will be announced on the mozilla.org Web site, on various mailing lists,
    > >>in the netscape.public.mozilla and secnews.netscape.com newsgroups, on
    > >>Mozillazine.org, in the press, etc. Not sure what else you're seeking.

    > > Your referencing Mozilla updates. I'm referencing Windows updates.
    > >
    > > What I'm seeking is,
    > > How do we alert others if MICROSOFT introduced another "update" that

    causes
    > > conflicts with Firefox?
    > >

    > I have never run into a WINDOWS update that 'broke' Netscape
    > Communicator either

    It was 1998.

    > In the unlikely event one does occur, news would be disseminated via the
    > mozilla.org web site, on various mailing lists, and in the newsgroups.
    > Most likely pointing to a 'fix'.

    That would be nice. But what you're saying is that there is no targeted
    effort to look for this.

    > I doubt Microsoft would be able to
    > 'get away' with such a feat anyway, considering the court cases it went
    > through involving such aspects. The possibllity is rather remote.

    Yeah, as we all know, Microsoft hasn't been able to get away with anything,
    have they ;) ? That's why they're such a small company...

    Victor, Jun 2, 2005
  14. Victor

    Moz Champion Guest

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2005-06-01, Moz Champion <> wrote:
    >

    >>Victor wrote:
    >>
    >>>And, what you're claiming is, if Microsoft issues an "update" that crashes
    >>>Firefox on Windows, then Firefox is destined to the trash bin of history.

    >>No, if Microsoft issued an update that crashed Firefox, then the courts
    >>would deal with the issue (if done on purpose)
    >>And, the 'fix' (if there was one) would be available nonetheless.

    > Unfortunately, the times this has happened before (think Win-OS/2, Lotus,
    > DR-DOS, etc.) Microsoft has gotten off with little more than a slap on the
    > wrist, and has not felt any need to restain itself in future situations.

    Again, I have never ran accross a Windows update that crashed Netscape,
    or any other current program.

    Moz Champion, Jun 2, 2005
  15. Victor

    Moz Champion Guest

    Victor wrote:
    > "John Thompson" <2.dhs.org> wrote in message

    > crashes

    > history.
    >
    >>>No, if Microsoft issued an update that crashed Firefox, then the courts
    >>>would deal with the issue (if done on purpose)
    >>>And, the 'fix' (if there was one) would be available nonetheless.

    >>Unfortunately, the times this has happened before (think Win-OS/2, Lotus,
    >>DR-DOS, etc.) Microsoft has gotten off with little more than a slap on the
    >>wrist, and has not felt any need to restain itself in future situations.
    >>
    >>John

    > John is 100% correct. I remember the Netscape trial - the issue came down
    > to, how do you prove to a jury, in a clear and convincing manner, that a
    > Microsoft update purposely caused an incompatibility? Remember that a jury
    > is composed of 12 people that couldn't get out of jury duty - and a jury
    > will rarely be composed of computer professionals.
    >
    > Unless he's another Linux troll, "Moz Champion" is living in fantasyland. If
    > a busy professional updates Windows and suddenly finds that Firefox is
    > crashing, he/she is simply going to stop using Firefox, because someone
    > living in the real world that is on a deadline doesn't have the time to be
    > self-righteous - they will take the quickest path to getting their work
    > done - which means not using Firefox, and using Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Those of us that remember 1998, the year Netscape died, knows this to be
    > true. It was death by Windows Update.
    >
    > Firefox is a terrific browser, but with unrealistic people like "Moz
    > Champion" championing it, it doesn't stand a chance.
    >
    > Vic

    I never ran accros a Windows update that crashed Netscape.

    Your claims to the contary are not proven. What update crashed
    Netscape? I was online in 1998 and no update crashed my Netscape at all.

    Moz Champion, Jun 2, 2005
  16. Victor

    Moz Champion Guest

    Victor wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Victor wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message

    > :

    > that

    >>>Your referencing Mozilla updates. I'm referencing Windows updates.
    >>>
    >>>What I'm seeking is,
    >>>How do we alert others if MICROSOFT introduced another "update" that

    > causes
    >
    >>>conflicts with Firefox?
    >>>

    >>I have never run into a WINDOWS update that 'broke' Netscape
    >>Communicator either

    > It was 1998.
    >

    >>In the unlikely event one does occur, news would be disseminated via the
    >>mozilla.org web site, on various mailing lists, and in the newsgroups.
    >>Most likely pointing to a 'fix'.

    > That would be nice. But what you're saying is that there is no targeted
    > effort to look for this.
    >

    >> I doubt Microsoft would be able to
    >>'get away' with such a feat anyway, considering the court cases it went
    >>through involving such aspects. The possibllity is rather remote.

    > Yeah, as we all know, Microsoft hasn't been able to get away with anything,
    > have they ;) ? That's why they're such a small company...

    Well, aint that just dandy! Gee I was onliine in 1998, and my Windows
    didnt crash, and all I did was use Netscape.
    What update are you speaking of exactly? You have made serious claims
    here, yet have offered no evidence that there ever was a MS update (or
    Windows update) that caused Netscape to crash. A cite if you will

    Moz Champion, Jun 2, 2005
  17. Victor

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth Moz Champion <> in news:B%8ne.868030
    $:

    > MS has, to date, never issued an update that crashed a competitor.

    You are obviously too young to remember this famous Microsoft motto:

    "Windows ain't done until Lotus won't run."

    --
    George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
    Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

    Tom Betz, Jun 3, 2005
  18. Victor

    Victor Guest

    Windows ain't done until Lotus won't run (was: Microsoft Windows and the future of Firefox)

    "Tom Betz" <> wrote in message
    > Quoth Moz Champion <> in news:B%8ne.868030
    > $:
    >
    > > MS has, to date, never issued an update that crashed a competitor.

    > You are obviously too young to remember this famous Microsoft motto:
    >
    > "Windows ain't done until Lotus won't run."

    I remember that one...!!!

    Victor, Jun 6, 2005
  19. On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 01:43:33 +0000 (UTC), Tom Betz
    <> dijo:

    >You are obviously too young to remember this famous Microsoft motto:
    >
    > "Windows ain't done until Lotus won't run."

    Actually, it was "DOS isn't done until Lotus won't run." It predates
    Windows by quite a while.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

    Marek Williams, Jun 6, 2005
  20. Victor

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth Marek Williams <> in

    > On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 01:43:33 +0000 (UTC), Tom Betz
    > <> dijo:
    >
    >>You are obviously too young to remember this famous Microsoft
    >>motto:
    >>
    >> "Windows ain't done until Lotus won't run."

    > Actually, it was "DOS isn't done until Lotus won't run." It
    > predates Windows by quite a while.

    You are correct sir; the brain cells that recorded this one must
    have melted slightly.

    Tom Betz, Jun 12, 2005