    Group, the same that introduced Laura DiDildo to the world of
    technology, and vice versa.

    -Ramon F Herrera

    Ramon F Herrera, Sep 25, 2007

  2. Haha...changing the face of VoIP. Can't wait to see how they do
    transcoding, conferencing, and other DSP-intensive/high complexity codec
    functions in software. How do they plan to talk to the PSTN? Are they
    going to "embrace and extend" H.323 and SIP like they've done to so many
    other standard protocols? They're already talking about their
    "optimized" Microsoft codec...I'm sure that the "Microsoft approved"
    phones will be lower cost than other devices, AND, they won't require
    licensing of said phone! ;-P

    Man, can't wait to see how they address these technical issues, to say
    nothing of the corporate licensing fee extortion that's sure to come.
    Would you want to trust your phone system to a company that can't get
    clustering/HA right?

    I can see it now - you go to use your phone and the display reads "We're
    sorry, but you're handset has performed an illegal operation. This
    handset will be shut down. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

    I'm no huge fan of Cisco, but at least they have an established method
    of fault tolerance and interfacing to the PSTN. There are many other
    vendors that do a great job as well. I'd say only a fool would jump
    blindly into the M$ Exhachange, Sharepoint, Dynamics 'ecosystem',
    especially when this ecosystem is vaporware at the moment.

    I should get out of IT and move into marketing. Life is so idyllic,
    tranquil, and harmonious. Everything just works!

    fugettaboutit, Sep 25, 2007

  3. Ramon F Herrera

    Jim Kingdon Guest

    fugettaboutit writes:

    > Haha...changing the face of VoIP. Can't wait to see how they do
    > . . . [all kinds of things]

    Well, my first reaction would be this would be more of a Skype-killer
    than anything else.

    According to
    http://www.voip-news.com/feature/microsoft-voip-phone-051607/ they are
    planning to support IP phones, though, as well as headsets.

    So I'm sure my first reaction isn't the whole story of what Microsoft
    is trying to do, much less whether they'll succeed...

    Jim Kingdon, Sep 25, 2007
  4. Ramon F Herrera

    rshimizu Guest

    Gates Launches Microsoft VoIP Portfolio, Predicts Demise of PBX
    (http://www.crn.com/networking/202403364 )

    Office Communications server raises many important questions with
    VOIP. The first question is whether or not softswitch (IE IP PBX) will
    scale for large enterprises. Is the x86 Windows platform secure
    enough. In order to scale either more processors are needed or
    processor boards that can take the off load the voice processing. The
    other factor is that larger enterprises will probably need to cluster
    to avoid a single point of failure. The other unknown is if Windows is
    secure enough. I just imagine someone hijacking a Windows box and
    running up all all sorts of toll charges.

    Then there is the issue of purchasing additional licenses when
    Asterisk is available for free. Asterisk is a soft switch, but one can
    run it on a embedded box. The other factor is that since Asterisk runs
    on Linux you can run SE Linux and disable the unneeded functions.

    The other challenge is softphone security.

    In the end I think we see smaller MS shops as the primary market.

    rshimizu, Oct 19, 2007