Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library Error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lorac, Sep 17, 2005.

  1. lorac

    lorac Guest

    I am running: WIN98SE IE6

    In downloading ZA's update (free one) I noticed several hours later that I
    could not access the internet..When I click on IE or any internet website
    icons on desktop I get this error message:

    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

    (X) Runtime Error

    Program: C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\ Explore.exe

    *This application has requested the runtime to terminate it at an unusual
    way. Please contact the application's support team for more information*

    I have lost the ability to get on the internet...I can receive mail and
    send. I cannot be sure how I lost this "Runtime file" except in the
    downloading of that update from Zone Alarm..I cannot contact Zone Alarm/help
    on IE because I cannot get on line! I surely need some help here..

    Carol

    lorac, Sep 17, 2005

  2. lorac

    old jon Guest

    "lorac" <> wrote in message

    > I am running: WIN98SE IE6
    >
    > In downloading ZA's update (free one) I noticed several hours later that I
    > could not access the internet..When I click on IE or any internet website
    > icons on desktop I get this error message:
    >
    > Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    >
    > (X) Runtime Error
    >
    > Program: C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\ Explore.exe
    >
    > *This application has requested the runtime to terminate it at an unusual
    > way. Please contact the application's support team for more information*
    >

    > I have lost the ability to get on the internet...I can receive mail and
    > send. I cannot be sure how I lost this "Runtime file" except in the
    > downloading of that update from Zone Alarm..I cannot contact Zone
    > Alarm/help
    > on IE because I cannot get on line! I surely need some help here..
    >
    > Carol

    Possible Solution:

    It is possible that you have been attacked by some malware/spyware. Install
    and update:
    a.. Adaware SE
    b.. Spybot S&D
    Download these for free here:

    http://www.5starsupport.com/info/virusinfo.htm

    Then, perform a complete system scan using the free anti-virus scanner
    listed below:

    http://www.housecall.antivirus.com

    After completing system scans using the two listed scanners and anti-virus
    scanner, reboot your computer and see if your problem has been resolved.

    If it has not, then try uninstalling your Google toolbar, here's how:

    1. Go to Start>> Control Panel>> Add/Remove Programs.
    2. Scroll the list until you find "Google toolbar for Internet Explorer".
    3. Remove the program and reboot your system.

    UnQuote

    old jon, Sep 17, 2005

  3. lorac

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:16:25 -0500, lorac wrote:

    >I am running: WIN98SE IE6
    >
    >In downloading ZA's update (free one) I noticed several hours later that I

    Just during the download, and from the zonelabs page?

    Or was ZA doing it's own update?

    You didn't install it?

    >could not access the internet..When I click on IE or any internet website
    >icons on desktop I get this error message:
    >
    >Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    >
    >(X) Runtime Error
    >
    >Program: C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\ Explore.exe
    >
    > *This application has requested the runtime to terminate it at an unusual
    >way. Please contact the application's support team for more information*

    Sounds like something not so good has replaced a system file.

    Version conflict in one of the VC++ DLL's and there are quite a few,

    msvcrt.dll v6.1.9359 and v6.1.9844
    msvcr71.dll v7.10 from the .NET Framework install
    msvcr70.dll v7.0.9466

    That's the DLL cache, uninstalls , service packs and 5 in the windows
    directory.

    If you installes ZA -
    Don't know Win98SE , does it allow system restore points? Did you make 1
    before installing ZA?

    Can you uninstall ZA? Maybe the uninstall puts back the old file?

    Does 98SE have a dllcache cache file in the Windows folder?

    This is what I have had work in the past, only a few times, and it's not
    simple, find the date/time/version of all the msvcrt*.dll files. Copy
    the files in \windows tree and then rename then, from the other copies /
    versions found in other locations copy then into the windows folder.

    You have to be *very* careful doing this and it most likely won't work
    if you have a virus / spyware problem.

    >I have lost the ability to get on the internet...I can receive mail and
    >send. I cannot be sure how I lost this "Runtime file" except in the

    and news is okay :)

    >downloading of that update from Zone Alarm..I cannot contact Zone Alarm/help
    >on IE because I cannot get on line! I surely need some help here..

    If you can't get IE running, maybe try 1 of these netscape, mozilla,
    firefox from a magazine cover cd.

    Me

    why?, Sep 17, 2005
  4. lorac

    lorac Guest

    you give no name "unquote" old jon, but that was it!!! Thank you so much..
    but what
    in the world would Google tool bar (and how did you know?) have to
    do with that Microsoft error message? Or Zone Alarm...whatever, I am back
    on line...can't quibble with that!!!

    Thanx, Thanx

    Carol

    lorac, Sep 18, 2005