    am reluctant to blanket patch win2k itself unless its a specific fix....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 12, 2005

  2. thingy

    Mercury Guest

    Re: microsoft visual c++ runtime library " abnormal program termination" when playing games...

    What was the last s/w change you made?
    What reports the error IE how to recreate?
    Any more details in the event logs?

    Mercury, Nov 12, 2005

  3. thingy

    Bok Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > any ideas?
    > Once I start to patch things the crashes dont report this error....so I
    > am reluctant to blanket patch win2k itself unless its a specific fix....

    That message is displayed by the abort() runtime function in the VC++
    runtime library. It normally means the app you are running called the
    abort() function. Any well behaved app would at least log something or
    give you a clue as to why it's about to abort before doing so.
    Bok, Nov 12, 2005
  4. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > What was the last s/w change you made?

    Fresh install of win2k.

    Hardware patches and drivers only.

    Comes from 2 games as that is all I have installed.

    win2k itself is un-patched, but a fully patched version also crashes all
    games. I had an earlier post trying to find a hware fault, but I suspect
    it is directx or something.....

    The machine runs fine in linux and win2k as log as I am in 2d
    mode....games crash....everyone I have tried....

    > What reports the error IE how to recreate?

    re-creatable every time I run Wolfenstein or never winter nights.

    I have not tried starcraft or dungeon seige yet, but they used to simply
    crash on the original install.

    > Any more details in the event logs?

    Will go look...assuming I can find the logs....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 12, 2005
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > What was the last s/w change you made?
    > What reports the error IE how to recreate?
    > Any more details in the event logs?

    nothing in logs.

    Quake2 runs but that has no hware acceleration....all software.

    Quake3 does not
    Return to Castle Wolf does not
    Second Sight sorta runs but lots of lines run through it and parts of
    the screen flash terribly...
    Dungeon Seige, ditto.....

    All these thing used to run fine..........

    now I am stumped....

    nothing left to try....

    :(

    Except swap out the motherboard and ram...

    :/

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 12, 2005
  6. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Bok wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> any ideas?
    >> Once I start to patch things the crashes dont report this error....so
    >> I am reluctant to blanket patch win2k itself unless its a specific
    >> fix....
    >>

    > That message is displayed by the abort() runtime function in the VC++
    > runtime library. It normally means the app you are running called the
    > abort() function. Any well behaved app would at least log something or
    > give you a clue as to why it's about to abort before doing so.

    All the games I had that used to run fine...now dont....what I have
    found is a swollen capacitor on my graphics card and at least 2 on the
    motherboard...

    :/

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 12, 2005
  7. thingy

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:33:48 +1300, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >Bok wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> any ideas?
    >>> Once I start to patch things the crashes dont report this error....so
    >>> I am reluctant to blanket patch win2k itself unless its a specific
    >>> fix....
    >>>

    >> That message is displayed by the abort() runtime function in the VC++
    >> runtime library. It normally means the app you are running called the
    >> abort() function. Any well behaved app would at least log something or
    >> give you a clue as to why it's about to abort before doing so.

    >All the games I had that used to run fine...now dont....what I have
    >found is a swollen capacitor on my graphics card and at least 2 on the
    >motherboard...
    >
    >:/
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    You dont have a Dell GX270 do you. They (motherboards) are nearly all
    failing with swollen capacitors. Bad batch from the fatory I beleive.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz
    Bruce Knox, Nov 12, 2005
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Bruce Knox wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:33:48 +1300, thingy <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Bok wrote:

    >>>That message is displayed by the abort() runtime function in the VC++
    >>>runtime library. It normally means the app you are running called the
    >>>abort() function. Any well behaved app would at least log something or
    >>>give you a clue as to why it's about to abort before doing so.

    >>All the games I had that used to run fine...now dont....what I have
    >>found is a swollen capacitor on my graphics card and at least 2 on the
    >>motherboard...
    >>
    >>:/
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > You dont have a Dell GX270 do you. They (motherboards) are nearly all
    > failing with swollen capacitors. Bad batch from the fatory I beleive.
    >
    > Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    > http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    No I dont own a Dell It is more widespread than just Dells.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 12, 2005