    The only concise info that I have acquired is that
    the new s'ware will be geared to home and small business'

    Please advise.
    Collector, Apr 7, 2006

  2. Collector

    ellis_jay Guest

    Collector wrote:
    > I understand Microsoft is delaying its
    > release of Vista.
    >
    > Which in turn raised suspicion in my mind.
    >
    > Any have any straight poop about the new
    > s'ware??
    >
    > I have had very, very little problems with XP/SP2.
    >
    > Do you peeps think this Vista will be worth it??
    >
    > The only concise info that I have acquired is that
    > the new s'ware will be geared to home and small business'
    >
    > Please advise.

    I heard the program is 80 gig or so. huh?

    --
    I don't know what's more pathetic, Jack Abramoff's sleaze or Republican
    paralysis in the face of it. Abramoff walks out of a D.C. courthouse in

    That's a great G.O.P. talking point: some Democrats are so sleazy, they
    get involved with the likes of us.

    _______David Brooks

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Apr 7, 2006

  3. Collector

    Collector Guest

    >> Do you peeps think this Vista will be worth it??
    >>
    >> The only concise info that I have acquired is that
    >> the new s'ware will be geared to home and small business'
    >>
    >> Please advise.

    > I heard the program is 80 gig or so. huh?

    ...yes I heard the same thing...what is XP?? about
    6 gigs...but with hard drive space continually getting
    cheap as dirt I wonder if that will cause a problem...

    ....I may be off-base...but in order to efficienty use
    Vista...one would have to have a kick-ass CPU, and
    a huge supplly of internal ram...
    I only have 1.3 ghz...1.25 gig interal ram, 30 gig internal
    HD and 80 gig external...

    ....I'd hate to have to 're-tool' for this new operating
    system...sheesh...
    Collector, Apr 7, 2006
  4. Collector

    john Guest

    those same questions were asked by win98 users when XP came out....

    However there was one big difference. XP was based on the NT kernel
    that made it 100 times more stable than the 9x versions... and that alone
    was a good reason to upgrade.

    What does vista have to offer? I have been testing it, and I still have not
    found a good reason....perhaps they will pull it off still they have some
    time left.

    As I see it, it will be a combination of small changes-improvments
    (if they start listening to everyone who is complaining about some stupid
    things they
    have in the CTP releases).

    --
    Kenny - www.ComputerBoom.com

    -Arthur C. Clarke

    john, Apr 7, 2006
  5. Today Collector commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >> I heard the program is 80 gig or so. huh?

    > ..yes I heard the same thing...what is XP?? about
    > 6 gigs...but with hard drive space continually getting
    > cheap as dirt I wonder if that will cause a problem...
    >
    > ...I may be off-base...but in order to efficienty use
    > Vista...one would have to have a kick-ass CPU, and
    > a huge supplly of internal ram...
    > I only have 1.3 ghz...1.25 gig interal ram, 30 gig internal
    > HD and 80 gig external...
    >
    > ...I'd hate to have to 're-tool' for this new operating
    > system...sheesh...

    It seems that each new incantation of Windoze gets bigger and
    slower, which M$ can get by with since many upgraders and all
    new buyers have faster machines with more memory. That said, if
    XP is working well for you, why upgrade until a) all the bugs
    are worked out of Vista and b) you are able and willing to
    upgrade your hardware?

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    "Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." – Henry Ford
    All Things Mopar, Apr 7, 2006
  6. Collector

    Gordon Guest

    All Things Mopar wrote:

    > It seems that each new incantation of Windoze gets bigger and
    > slower, which M$ can get by with since many upgraders and all
    > new buyers have faster machines with more memory. That said, if
    > XP is working well for you, why upgrade until a) all the bugs
    > are worked out of Vista and b) you are able and willing to
    > upgrade your hardware?

    Absolutely. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In the same way many companies
    and organisations did not bother to upgrade from Office 2002 to Office 2003
    as the marginal increase in (obscure or little-used) functionality didn't
    warrant the fairly hefty costs involved.
    Gordon, Apr 7, 2006
  7. Collector

    ellis_jay Guest

    Collector wrote:
    >>> Do you peeps think this Vista will be worth it??
    >>>
    >>> The only concise info that I have acquired is that
    >>> the new s'ware will be geared to home and small business'
    >>>
    >>> Please advise.

    >> I heard the program is 80 gig or so. huh?

    > ..yes I heard the same thing...what is XP?? about
    > 6 gigs...but with hard drive space continually getting
    > cheap as dirt I wonder if that will cause a problem...

    I think I also read that makers monitors and its related hardware and cards
    inside the computer are getting headaches from the challenge? Or something
    like that.

    > ...I may be off-base...but in order to efficienty use
    > Vista...one would have to have a kick-ass CPU, and
    > a huge supplly of internal ram...

    What does that say about laptops? Bulkier and heavier or what?

    > I only have 1.3 ghz...1.25 gig interal ram, 30 gig internal
    > HD and 80 gig external...
    >
    > ...I'd hate to have to 're-tool' for this new operating
    > system...sheesh...

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Apr 7, 2006
  8. Today Gordon commented courteously on the subject at hand

    > All Things Mopar wrote:
    >
    >> It seems that each new incantation of Windoze gets bigger
    >> and slower, which M$ can get by with since many upgraders
    >> and all new buyers have faster machines with more memory.
    >> That said, if XP is working well for you, why upgrade
    >> until a) all the bugs are worked out of Vista and b) you
    >> are able and willing to upgrade your hardware?

    > Absolutely. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In the same
    > way many companies and organisations did not bother to
    > upgrade from Office 2002 to Office 2003 as the marginal
    > increase in (obscure or little-used) functionality didn't
    > warrant the fairly hefty costs involved.

    Hell, I'm still running Office 97 on SP2 (after a bit of
    tweaking to get it to install)! As a retiree with just minor
    needs, I can't even see $149 for the Teacher & Student Edition
    of Office XP. And, you used one of my sayings ("if it ain't
    broke, don't try to fix it"), so I'll trump yours with "...and,
    never give Murphy an even break"! <grin>

    All Things Mopar, Apr 7, 2006
  9. Collector

    Gordon Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Collector wrote:
    >>
    >> Any have any straight poop about the new
    >> s'ware??

    > Ask the Author of the application.

    Dear Mr Gates,

    Is Vista poop?
    Gordon, Apr 7, 2006
  10. Collector

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 03:10:11 GMT, Collector wrote:

    >I understand Microsoft is delaying its
    >release of Vista.

    Sort of like the orders they had to fix it and pulled a load of
    programmers off another project to fix it.

    >Which in turn raised suspicion in my mind.
    >
    >Any have any straight poop about the new
    >s'ware??

    It's still pre release, lots of bits missing, too many new features
    added just to look good while having problems with basics hanging,
    crashing, explorer, search.... so what if it has transparent adjustable
    windows and fancy slider bars to move between View - Details - Tiles -
    Icons.

    >I have had very, very little problems with XP/SP2.

    Mind you the 64bit ver boots fast on 1.5GB RAM and bit of a noticable
    difference using the Nvidia drivers even though they are pre release as
    well.

    >Do you peeps think this Vista will be worth it??

    Nope, I am only getting around to thinking about dropping NT4/2000 and
    moving to XP just now.

    >The only concise info that I have acquired is that
    >the new s'ware will be geared to home and small business'

    That's only 2 of the IIRC so far 5 versions.

    >Please advise.

    www.microsoft.com/Windowsvista/

    www.google.com look for articles / comments / reviews.

    Me
    why?, Apr 7, 2006
  11. Collector

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 04:28:59 GMT, Collector wrote:

    >>> Do you peeps think this Vista will be worth it??
    >>>
    >>> The only concise info that I have acquired is that
    >>> the new s'ware will be geared to home and small business'
    >>>
    >>> Please advise.

    >> I heard the program is 80 gig or so. huh?

    Vista 5270 CPP, installs from a DVD 3GB ISO image (see my previous posts
    in 24HSHD for the exact figures), Windows Server 2003 Standard is a
    400MB something CD.

    Vista used 11GB for a default 64bit install. XP 64bit and Server 2003
    were both less then 4GB.

    >..yes I heard the same thing...what is XP?? about
    >6 gigs...but with hard drive space continually getting
    >cheap as dirt I wonder if that will cause a problem...

    Shouldn't be an issue.

    >...I may be off-base...but in order to efficienty use
    >Vista...one would have to have a kick-ass CPU, and
    >a huge supplly of internal ram...
    >I only have 1.3 ghz...1.25 gig interal ram, 30 gig internal
    >HD and 80 gig external...
    >
    >...I'd hate to have to 're-tool' for this new operating
    >system...sheesh...

    I already have, mind you it wasn't an expensive box, just your basic
    160GB disk, 1.5GB RAM , AMD 64bit 3200+.

    Mainly because my MS Technet subscription had several 64bit OS's on it.

    Me
    why?, Apr 7, 2006
  12. Collector

    Plato Guest