    Has anyone tried the public release of Vista beta

    Ciao
    Kev

    waituke, Jun 14, 2006

  2. waituke wrote:

    > Has anyone tried the public release of Vista beta

    Yes

    Cheers
    Nath

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 14, 2006

  3. waituke

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > waituke wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone tried the public release of Vista beta

    > Yes
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nath

    Have you tried running Vista under VPC 2005 B2?

    It's unusable.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 14, 2006
  4. waituke

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> waituke wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone tried the public release of Vista beta

    >> Yes
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Nath

    > Have you tried running Vista under VPC 2005 B2?
    >
    > It's unusable.

    Last time I tried it was unusable under VMWare too.

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 14, 2006
  5. waituke

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <448f78ff$>, says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> Yes
    > >>
    > >> Cheers
    > >> Nath

    > > Have you tried running Vista under VPC 2005 B2?
    > >
    > > It's unusable.

    > Last time I tried it was unusable under VMWare too.

    'sfunny 'cos it runs just fine even on a lowly AMD 1400, 512Mb, 80Gb PC
    - as does VPC running other OS's etc - but NOT VISTA ????

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 14, 2006
  6. T'was the 13 Jun 2006 19:04:55 -0700 when I remembered "Nathan
    Mercer" <> saying something like this:

    >> Has anyone tried the public release of Vista beta

    >Yes

    This made me smile, just a little. Considering you were demoing Vista
    at Connect '06 (I believe), I'd be pretty surprised if you hadn't.

    I tried Beta 2. There's no Aero drivers for my Intel 945 chipset, but
    even still it looks very nice. I particularly like the IE7 security
    features, i.e. the 6 (at my count) warnings that a user would notice
    if someone told them to enable an unsecure feature in the security
    settings.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jun 14, 2006
  7. waituke

    Tony Guest

    As mentioned, it's unusable under vmware.

    Tony, Jun 14, 2006
  8. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > >> Has anyone tried the public release of Vista beta

    > >Yes

    > This made me smile, just a little. Considering you were demoing Vista

    couldn't help myself with the answer

    > at Connect '06 (I believe), I'd be pretty surprised if you hadn't.

    and you didn't come up and say hi. I still haven't put the name to a
    face

    > I tried Beta 2. There's no Aero drivers for my Intel 945 chipset, but

    Laptop or desktop? Whats the make and model of the laptop and/or video
    card details?

    > even still it looks very nice. I particularly like the IE7 security
    > features, i.e. the 6 (at my count) warnings that a user would notice
    > if someone told them to enable an unsecure feature in the security
    > settings.

    Got to stop those users shooting themselves in the feet somehow

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 14, 2006
  9. waituke

    Jennings Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:52:12 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    >e pretty surprised if you hadn't.
    >
    > I tried Beta 2. There's no Aero drivers for my Intel 945 chipset, but
    > even still it looks very nice. I particularly like the IE7 security
    > features, i.e. the 6 (at my count) warnings that a user would notice
    > if someone told them to enable an unsecure feature in the security
    > settings.

    What Spec pc do you have Waylon ??... if ya dont mind me asking.

    Jennings, Jun 14, 2006
  10. Dave Doe wrote:
    > > > Has anyone tried the public release of Vista beta

    > > Yes
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Nath

    > Have you tried running Vista under VPC 2005 B2?

    Yes under and over top of as well - it runs well - see below

    Actually there is no "VPC 2005 B2"
    There is Virtual Server 2005 R2 and there is Virtual PC 2004 SP1

    > It's unusable.

    You need to install some updated Virtual Machine additions, they will
    be released and downloadable from microsoft.com RealSoonNow

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 14, 2006
  11. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > > Has anyone tried the public release of Vista beta

    > Yes
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nath

    PS if anyone else wants to get the Customer Preview Program beta2 of
    Windows Vista goto

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

    and either order a DVD or download the ISO image to burn to a DVD

    Even if you're not ready to download yet but you are going to, go up
    there to get a Product Key, but then download sometime in the next
    month. Be aware that the download is very large and will take some
    time (the servers are very busy at this point) - fortunately there is
    a download manager which will allow you to pause/resume your download
    too.

    We will be limiting the number of people on the preview program to a
    few million and its likely we will hit that in days rather than weeks.
    Once we hit that new product keys won't be issued from the site above.

    Also, be sure to activate your copy of Windows Vista Beta2 within the
    first 14 days of installation. Activation allows us at Microsoft to
    test our support infrastructure as well as the activation process
    itself. In addition, we'll be unable to provide you with a copy of RC1
    (Release Candidate 1, the release subsequent to Beta2) unless your copy
    of Beta2 is activated.

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Note: This is beta code and should not be used in a production
    environment or on a main machine in the home. Beta 2 is intended for
    developers, IT professionals and technology experts to continue or
    begin their testing of Windows Vista. Before you decide to use Beta 2,
    you should feel comfortable with installing operating systems, updating
    drivers, and general PC troubleshooting. Some risks of using beta
    operating systems include hardware and software incompatibility and
    system instability. If you have concerns about installing this beta
    software on your computer, we encourage you to obtain the final release
    version of Windows Vista when it is available in 2007.

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 14, 2006
  12. waituke

    Shane Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > If you have concerns about installing this beta
    > software on your computer, we encourage you to obtain the final release
    > version of Windows Vista when it is available in 2007.

    Generous offer Nathan, but Im not sure about your last comment there, isnt
    Vista supposed to be widely available late this year?

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Jun 14, 2006
  13. Shane wrote:
    > > If you have concerns about installing this beta
    > > software on your computer, we encourage you to obtain the final release
    > > version of Windows Vista when it is available in 2007.

    > Generous offer Nathan, but Im not sure about your last comment there, isnt
    > Vista supposed to be widely available late this year?

    Windows Vista will be released to businesses (via Volume Licensing) in
    November, and into end user channels (system builders, OEMs, new PCs,
    retail outlets etc etc) in January next year

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 14, 2006
  14. T'was the 13 Jun 2006 20:49:16 -0700 when I remembered "Nathan
    Mercer" <> saying something like this:

    >> at Connect '06 (I believe), I'd be pretty surprised if you hadn't.

    >and you didn't come up and say hi. I still haven't put the name to a
    >face

    You're a busy guy! I was gonna but instead got caught up with Paul and
    Xiang and didn't see much more of you after that. I'll be coming up
    for TechEd hopefully I believe.

    >> I tried Beta 2. There's no Aero drivers for my Intel 945 chipset, but

    >Laptop or desktop? Whats the make and model of the laptop and/or video
    >card details?

    Dell Inspiron 6400 (E1505 in the US I believe). The video is onboard -
    Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family. I thought that even
    though this was onboard graphics, it was still good enough for the
    Aero interface.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jun 14, 2006
  15. T'was the Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:53:37 +1200 when I remembered Jennings
    <> saying something like this:

    >> I tried Beta 2. There's no Aero drivers for my Intel 945 chipset, but
    >> even still it looks very nice. I particularly like the IE7 security
    >> features, i.e. the 6 (at my count) warnings that a user would notice
    >> if someone told them to enable an unsecure feature in the security
    >> settings.

    >What Spec pc do you have Waylon ??... if ya dont mind me asking.

    Got a couple of machines, have had both running Vista. This one is

    Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop
    Intel Core Duo 1.6Ghz processor
    1GB 667Mhz DDR2 RAM
    Intel 945GM onboard graphics
    80GB Hard Drive

    The other one being

    Athlon 2400XP
    512MB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 128MB Graphics card
    160GB Hard Drive

    However, with the new laptop, the old machine has been relegated into
    a server. Might throw on Windows Server me thinks.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jun 14, 2006
  16. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > >> I tried Beta 2. There's no Aero drivers for my Intel 945 chipset, but

    > >Laptop or desktop? Whats the make and model of the laptop and/or video
    > >card details?

    > Dell Inspiron 6400 (E1505 in the US I believe). The video is onboard -
    > Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family. I thought that even
    > though this was onboard graphics, it was still good enough for the
    > Aero interface.

    Correct. I have a Toshiba Portege M400 with the same chipset running
    Glass right here beside me,

    This Intel UMA graphics does have enough grunt to run AERO Transparency
    as long as you have 1GB of RAM

    The drivers aren't inbox yet, we have them from Intel but they are
    pre-alpha WDDM right now. We're assisting Intel to hurry up and get
    some higher quality drivers for the 945 ASAP

    Regards
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 14, 2006
  17. On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:17:33 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Windows Vista will be released to businesses (via Volume Licensing) in
    > November, and into end user channels (system builders, OEMs, new PCs,
    > retail outlets etc etc) in January next year

    .... unless it is delayed yet again - which is highly likely!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Jun 14, 2006
  18. waituke

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > > > Yes
    > > >
    > > > Cheers
    > > > Nath

    > > Have you tried running Vista under VPC 2005 B2?

    > Yes under and over top of as well - it runs well - see below
    >
    > Actually there is no "VPC 2005 B2"
    > There is Virtual Server 2005 R2 and there is Virtual PC 2004 SP1
    >
    > > It's unusable.

    > You need to install some updated Virtual Machine additions, they will
    > be released and downloadable from microsoft.com RealSoonNow

    Excellent - will this be spottable on MSDN?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 14, 2006
  19. waituke

    juicyjuice Guest

    > Athlon 2400XP
    > 512MB RAM
    > Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 128MB Graphics card
    > 160GB Hard Drive
    >
    > However, with the new laptop, the old machine has been relegated into
    > a server. Might throw on Windows Server me thinks.
    > --

    yer i got same with 280gb running server03 sp1 and holds nicely with 84 days
    uptime now -
    i just use my lappie aswell these days =)

    juicyjuice, Jun 14, 2006
  20. waituke

    juicyjuice Guest

    I don't think it will be delayed again, shareholders confidence is already
    upset..
    But mainly.. it dosn't really mater when they release it, it will have bugs
    and they WILL be working on the same product for years after its release so
    yer it dosnt really mater when they shove it out to us, it's all cosmetic
    lol -
    personally I doubt i will be phased by vista, in fact apart from server 03..
    I've seen little improvement (including Vista's raved features oh and
    dropped again features) in the last 5 years of windows.

    I'm still using 2000 on my workstations as I can't see many major benefits
    from XP except maybe on laptops.

    juicyjuice, Jun 14, 2006