microsoft upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Michael Myhill, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. I have purchased windows me software,but cannot
    remove windows 98. any suggestions?

    Michael Myhill, Mar 4, 2005

  2. Michael Myhill

    Gordon Guest

    Michael Myhill wrote:
    > I have purchased windows me software,but cannot
    > remove windows 98. any suggestions?

    Why in God's name, did you go for ME? That's the *WORST* version of
    Windows *EVER*. Why didn't you go for either W2K or XP?

    Gordon, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Michael Myhill

    Donald Guest

    install upgrade on top of 98

    Donald, Mar 4, 2005
  4. Michael Myhill wrote:
    > I have purchased windows me software,but cannot
    > remove windows 98. any suggestions?

    Yes. Return ME from whence it came and, if your computer is up to it (see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx), purchase
    XP Home. Windows ME retails upgrade retails for around £55 (where it's still
    sold). For an extra tenner you can purchase XP Home and enjoy a far more
    stable computing experience (I've not had to reinstall in 18 months - you
    can't say that about 9x/ME!). I'm afraid the idea that 'ME' stood for
    'Millennium Edition' was just marketing on MS's part - what it actually
    stood for was 'Major Error' - it was the biggest load of cack MS ever
    released - and Gates has even admitted that himself.

    Please bear in mind that the minimum specs are exactly that - the bare
    minimum that to install XP. For a more pleasant computing experience, I
    would recommend: -

    Late P3 (and by that I mean 1.4GHz or so)
    512MB RAM
    At least a 40GB hard disc
    Decent graphics card (*NOT* on board, unless all you're using it for is
    office-type tasks)

    Do yourself a favour - do *NOT* attempt to install ME - you'll make yourself
    ill!

    on salads.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Mar 4, 2005
  5. Michael Myhill

    Wizard Guest

    **** off you mad slut

    Wizard, Mar 5, 2005
  6. Michael Myhill

    DC Guest

    Michael Myhill wrote:
    > I have purchased windows me software,but cannot
    > remove windows 98. any suggestions?

    Purchased, as in "I paid real dollars"? Why?! ME is the biggest POS
    ever.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com

    DC, Mar 5, 2005
  7. Michael Myhill

    Dataspider Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:33:22 GMT, "Michael Myhill"
    <> wrote:

    >I have purchased windows me software,but cannot
    >remove windows 98. any suggestions?

    Yes, i agree to all the others, Me sucks = keep 98 or bye XP.

    Dataspider, Mar 5, 2005
  8. Michael Myhill

    <> wrote:

    |> I have purchased windows me software,but cannot
    |> remove windows 98. any suggestions?

    Fighting the tide, I'll say Dual boot.

    Boot up into Win98 insert the ME CD and say no to upgrade, yes to fresh
    install.

    Or

    Use your Win98 boot disk
    (to create)
    Control Panel > add remove programs > startup disk (create)

    Boot up with the floppy and format Win98 away, then install ME.

    --

    , Mar 5, 2005
  9. Michael Myhill

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Boot up with the floppy and format Win98 away, then install ME.

    unless it's one of those ME versions that won't let you do that! Some
    require 98 to be there or they won't install (not without difficulty
    anyway).

    M$ sold upgrades for less than the cost of full install versions. A POS
    nonetheless.

    FR

    Flying Rat, Mar 5, 2005
  10. Michael Myhill

    Dataspider Guest

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 00:43:46 GMT, wrote:

    >On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:33:22 GMT, "Michael Myhill"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >|> I have purchased windows me software,but cannot
    >|> remove windows 98. any suggestions?
    >|>

    >Fighting the tide, I'll say Dual boot.
    >
    >Boot up into Win98 insert the ME CD and say no to upgrade, yes to fresh
    >install.
    >
    >Or
    >
    >Use your Win98 boot disk
    > (to create)
    >Control Panel > add remove programs > startup disk (create)
    >
    >Boot up with the floppy and format Win98 away, then install ME.

    Don´t do it. Me is Crap...

    Dataspider, Mar 5, 2005
  11. Michael Myhill

    Dataspider Guest

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 00:51:14 -0000, Flying Rat <> wrote:

    >In article <>, says...
    >> Boot up with the floppy and format Win98 away, then install ME.

    Big mistake, ME is a big problem..

    Dataspider, Mar 5, 2005
  12. Michael Myhill

    Parko Guest

    Dataspider squeeked after five nanoseconds of Deep Thought:

    > bye XP

    I'd agree with that!

    --
    Parko
    Testing MandrakeLinux 10.2 beta.

    Parko, Mar 5, 2005
  13. Michael Myhill

    Donald Guest

    no need for floppy to format on 98 just restart in dos

    Donald, Mar 5, 2005
  14. Michael Myhill

    Guest

    On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 21:37:31 -0600, "Donald" <>
    wrote:

    |> no need for floppy to format on 98 just restart in dos

    The Win98 boot disk will also install the CD (just incase), a feature
    you lose once you format the 98 drive.

    --

    , Mar 5, 2005
  15. Michael Myhill

    Jerry G. Guest

    Where in the "!@#@!", did you get ME! You are much better off with 98
    second addition. We have seen too many problems with ME.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Mar 5, 2005