Microsoft Update Download info please!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by robert andrews, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. those security updates replace existing files on your system, space usage
    would be minimal

    "gary" <> wrote in message
    news:bs2r86$5at$...
    > Dear All
    > If i was to download Microsoft Update, how much memory does

    it

    robert andrews, Dec 21, 2003

  2. robert andrews

    °Mike° Guest

    If you only use it for the net, space shouldn't be an issue; you
    *need* the security updates. Oh, and disk space is NOT memory.

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:48:52 -0800, in
    <bs2r86$5at$>
    gary scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 21, 2003

  3. robert andrews

    Boomer Guest

    "gary" <> wrote in

    > Dear All
    > If i was to download Microsoft Update, how much
    > memory does it
    > take up, my pc i only use for the net & has lots of security
    > programmes on it. My pc is piss weak as i only use it for the net!
    > Cheers

    Hello

    Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?
    You are posting from the future.

    For Windows :
    1. Double click the time in the lower right corner of the system tray.
    2. In the dialog box that pops up select the *Time Zone* tab.
    3. Use the drop down menu to select the correct entry for "your" TIME
    ZONE.
    Check "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes
    4. Also, Check the box marked Daylight Savings Time.
    5. Then click OK to save it.

    ~Further information at the site below.~
    http://www.visi.com/~barr/timezone.html

    Thank You Very Much :)

    P.S. It does not matter if you are living on the far side of the moon.
    Your computer clock/date/time zone is incorrect.

    Boomer, Dec 21, 2003
  4. robert andrews

    °Mike° Guest

    On 21 Dec 2003 01:52:02 GMT, in
    <3fe4fcc1$0$5096$>
    Boomer scrawled:

    >"gary" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Dear All
    >> If i was to download Microsoft Update, how much
    >> memory does it
    >> take up, my pc i only use for the net & has lots of security
    >> programmes on it. My pc is piss weak as i only use it for the net!
    >> Cheers

    >Hello
    >
    >Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?
    >You are posting from the future.

    <snip>

    Damn, I never spotted that. Thanks, Boomer. :)

    --
    <HCFTH>

    °Mike°, Dec 21, 2003
  5. robert andrews

    Boomer Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in

    > On 21 Dec 2003 01:52:02 GMT, in
    > <3fe4fcc1$0$5096$>
    > Boomer scrawled:
    >
    >>"gary" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Dear All
    >>> If i was to download Microsoft Update, how much
    >>> memory does it
    >>> take up, my pc i only use for the net & has lots of security
    >>> programmes on it. My pc is piss weak as i only use it for the net!
    >>> Cheers

    >>Hello
    >>
    >>Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?
    >>You are posting from the future.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Damn, I never spotted that. Thanks, Boomer. :)

    You're welcome. :)

    Honestly... I almost missed it (them) myself. I was getting ready to
    shut down and it (they) caught my eye. ;)

    --

    <HCFTH>

    Boomer, Dec 21, 2003
  6. robert andrews

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    Re: Time zone: With 24 or more time zones on the planet I'm a little
    confused. I'm not trying to be smart about this but unless the date is
    COMPLETELY wrong how does one know that someone's time is incorrect?

    Ed Mullikin, Dec 21, 2003
  7. robert andrews

    trout Guest

    Ed Mullikin wrote:

    > Re: Time zone: With 24 or more time zones on the planet I'm a little
    > confused. I'm not trying to be smart about this but unless the date
    > is COMPLETELY wrong how does one know that someone's time is
    > incorrect?

    The time is adjusted by the server so that you see posts tagged with
    *your* local time. It's obvious that someone has their clock/timezone
    set incorrectly; when the time-stamp is in the 'future' for the local
    time you're reading in.
    --
    "Or, more obviously; when the replies 'pre-date' the question."

    trout, Dec 21, 2003
  8. robert andrews

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:07:27 -0500, Ed Mullikin wrote:

    >Re: Time zone: With 24 or more time zones on the planet I'm a little
    >confused. I'm not trying to be smart about this but unless the date is
    >COMPLETELY wrong how does one know that someone's time is incorrect?

    http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~jaabogae/han/pf_pegatime.htm

    And the one Boomer posted:

    >"Boomer" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> ~Further information at the site below.~
    >> http://www.visi.com/~barr/timezone.html
    >>
    >> Thank You Very Much :)
    >>
    >> P.S. It does not matter if you are living on the far side of the moon.
    >> Your computer clock/date/time zone is incorrect.

    "Please read them, and they should tell you what you want to know."

    --
    You don't change the way people think by changing what they say.
    You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLY-

    gary, Dec 21, 2003
  10. Howdy!

    "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote in message
    > Re: Time zone: With 24 or more time zones on the planet I'm a little
    > confused. I'm not trying to be smart about this but unless the date is
    > COMPLETELY wrong how does one know that someone's time is incorrect?

    News messages are tagged with both the GMT time and the offset of
    when they were created.

    So, by looking at the time and date, if it's in the FUTURE from
    where you're sitting, it's obvious that the original poster is not set
    right.

    And, if you peek at the headers, and they post from, say,
    sport.rr.com (which is in Louisiana) and they have "GMT +6" as their zone
    (CST is -5, BTW ...) ...

    RwP

    Ralph W. Phillips, Dec 21, 2003
  11. robert andrews

    pcbutts1 Guest

    If your fuckin time was set right you would have seen the answer to your
    fuckin question asshole, besides Ralph was not talking to you in the first
    place. IDIOT fix your fucking clock it is still WRONG.

    "gary" <> wrote in message
    > OK but that wasn't the fuckin question! How much memory space does
    > downloaded windows update use ?
    > Ralph W. Phillips <> wrote in message
    > > Howdy!
    > >
    > > "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote in message
    > > > Re: Time zone: With 24 or more time zones on the planet I'm a little
    > > > confused. I'm not trying to be smart about this but unless the date

    is
    > > > COMPLETELY wrong how does one know that someone's time is incorrect?

    > > News messages are tagged with both the GMT time and the offset

    of
    > > when they were created.
    > >
    > > So, by looking at the time and date, if it's in the FUTURE from
    > > where you're sitting, it's obvious that the original poster is not set
    > > right.
    > >
    > > And, if you peek at the headers, and they post from, say,
    > > sport.rr.com (which is in Louisiana) and they have "GMT +6" as their

    zone
    > > (CST is -5, BTW ...) ...
    > >
    > > RwP

    > News==----
    > > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000

    > Newsgroups
    > > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

    Encryption

    pcbutts1, Dec 21, 2003
  12. robert andrews

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:12:47 -0800, gary wrote:

    > OK but that wasn't the fuckin question! How much memory space does
    >downloaded windows update use ?

    And your timezone is still borked. Why would anyone (tina) bother to answer your
    question if you can't be bothered to set your timezone correctly? It _isn't
    12:10PM, Einstein.

    "Binned, just for being stupid."

    Mara, Dec 21, 2003
  13. robert andrews

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:12:47 -0800, gary wrote:

    > OK but that wasn't the fuckin question! How much memory space does
    >downloaded windows update use ?

    For the most confused and polite posting today.

    ENERGIS ABUSE TICKET REFERENCE : 769508

    >Ralph W. Phillips <> wrote in message
    >> Howdy!
    >>
    >> "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote in message
    >> > Re: Time zone: With 24 or more time zones on the planet I'm a little
    >> > confused. I'm not trying to be smart about this but unless the date is
    >> > COMPLETELY wrong how does one know that someone's time is incorrect?

    >> News messages are tagged with both the GMT time and the offset of
    >> when they were created.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 21, 2003
  14. robert andrews

    Brian H¹© Guest

    gary said:

    > OK but that wasn't the fuckin question! How much memory space does
    > downloaded windows update use ?

    1. Check to see how much free space there is on your hard drive.
    2. Download the updates.
    3. Check to see how much free space there is on your hard drive.
    4. Deduct the figures returned in 1.) from the figures returned in 3.) and work
    it out for yourself.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 21, 2003
  15. robert andrews

    gary Guest

    Sorry about the time stuff, i didn't realise it was set wrong, it now says
    GMT London Edinburgh Lisbon etc & as i'm in England it should be ok. Were
    not all computer nerds, thats why questions are posted!
    Cheers

    gary, Dec 21, 2003
  16. robert andrews

    Brian H¹© Guest

    gary said:

    > Sorry about the time stuff, i didn't realise it was set wrong, it now says
    > GMT London Edinburgh Lisbon etc & as i'm in England it should be ok. Were
    > not all computer nerds, thats why questions are posted!
    > Cheers

    Why tell me?
    I never said anything about your time settings.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 22, 2003
  17. Howdy!

    "gary" <> wrote in message
    > OK but that wasn't the fuckin question! How much memory space does
    > downloaded windows update use ?

    Well, the footprint of Win98SE with IE6SP1 and all security updates
    starts to push 65 to 70 megs.

    But the bare footprint for Win98SE with NO updates is still about
    50M.

    So I'd say 15 to 20M.

    But why do you worry? RAM is cheap enough that I'd just as well see
    256M to 512M in a Win98SE machine, if it's a new one. And I'd like to see
    at least 128M in an older one anyway ...

    RwP

    Ralph W. Phillips, Dec 22, 2003
  18. robert andrews

    gary Guest

    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote in message
    > > Re: Time zone: With 24 or more time zones on the planet I'm a little
    > > confused. I'm not trying to be smart about this but unless the date is
    > > COMPLETELY wrong how does one know that someone's time is incorrect?

    > News messages are tagged with both the GMT time and the offset of
    > when they were created.
    >
    > So, by looking at the time and date, if it's in the FUTURE from
    > where you're sitting, it's obvious that the original poster is not set
    > right.
    >
    > And, if you peek at the headers, and they post from, say,
    > sport.rr.com (which is in Louisiana) and they have "GMT +6" as their zone
    > (CST is -5, BTW ...) ...
    >
    > RwP

    News==----

    Newsgroups